Reply by Everett M. Greene October 19, 20072007-10-19
"JS" <xyz@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am trying to debug my code via the built-in IAR simulator. Is there = > any way to using the printf statement in the source code to send = > characters to terminal I/O during simulation?=20 > such as :=20 > > printf("hello world");=20 > printf("PORT2 =3D %d", P2IN); //read and display port 2 pins=20 > > Has anybody used the statements above or something similar before? = > Please share your idea or suggestions, > > Thanks in advance,=20 > > JIMMY
First, don't include the HTML junk in newsgroup postings. You add bulk and clutter without adding any useful content. I don't know about IAR, but Imagecraft makes provision for a local version of putchar() which outputs characters to a real or simulated serial port. printf() and the other character output functions all perform their output via putchar().
Reply by Mikael Nordman October 18, 20072007-10-18
Hans-Bernhard Br&#4294967295;ker wrote:

> Please note that we're talking about a *simulator* here. Time is > simulated, too, i.e. it's not real. Thus there can be no realtime > dependence on anything other than the (simulated) peripherals. > > > That would be typical for a realtime system :-) > > But entirely untypical for simulators. > > Not even to mention that using printf() tends to be seriously > incompatible with the idea of keeping the debugged application realtime.
Oh Well, it seems to be past my bedtime...
Reply by October 18, 20072007-10-18
Mikael Nordman wrote:
> Hans-Bernhard Br&#4294967295;ker wrote: >> JS wrote:
>>> I am trying to debug my code via the built-in IAR simulator. Is there >>> any way to using the printf statement in the source code to send >>> characters to terminal I/O during simulation?
>> What on earth would you want to go and do that for? You have a >> simulator/debugger, so why resort all the way back to printf debugging?
> One reason could be that the code has realtime dependecies to the > environment.
Please note that we're talking about a *simulator* here. Time is simulated, too, i.e. it's not real. Thus there can be no realtime dependence on anything other than the (simulated) peripherals. > That would be typical for a realtime system :-) But entirely untypical for simulators. Not even to mention that using printf() tends to be seriously incompatible with the idea of keeping the debugged application realtime.
Reply by Mikael Nordman October 18, 20072007-10-18
Hans-Bernhard Br&#4294967295;ker wrote:
> JS wrote: > >> I am trying to debug my code via the built-in IAR simulator. Is there >> any way to using the printf statement in the source code to send >> characters to terminal I/O during simulation? > > > What on earth would you want to go and do that for? You have a > simulator/debugger, so why resort all the way back to printf debugging?
One reason could be that the code has realtime dependecies to the environment. That would be typical for a realtime system :-)
JS wrote:

> I am trying to debug my code via the built-in IAR simulator. Is there > any way to using the printf statement in the source code to send > characters to terminal I/O during simulation?
What on earth would you want to go and do that for? You have a simulator/debugger, so why resort all the way back to printf debugging?
Reply by JS October 18, 20072007-10-18

------=_NextPart_000_023D_01C81180.EE84DD30

I am trying to debug my code via the built-in IAR simulator. Is there =
any way to using the printf statement in the source code to send =
characters to terminal I/O during simulation?=20
such as :=20

printf("hello world");=20
printf("PORT2 =3D %d", P2IN); //read and display port 2 pins=20

Has anybody used the statements above or something similar before? =
Please share your idea or suggestions,

 Thanks in advance,=20

JIMMY

------=_NextPart_000_023D_01C81180.EE84DD30

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text id=3Dnabble.msgtext>I am trying to debug my =
code via the=20
built-in IAR simulator. Is there any way to using the printf statement =
in the=20
source code to send characters to terminal I/O during simulation? </DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text>such as : </DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text>printf("hello world"); </DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text>printf("PORT2 =3D %d", P2IN); //read and =
display port 2=20
pins </DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text>Has anybody used the statements above or =
something=20
similar before? Please share your idea or suggestions,</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text>&nbsp;Thanks in advance, </DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmessage-text>JIMMY</DIV>
<SCRIPT type=3Dtext/javascript><!--
if( Nabble.ads ) {
	Nabble.ads();
}
//--></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT>
if( self =3D=3D top ) {
	Nabble.writeReturnToLink(
		'<a href=3D"'
		+( Nabble.tview =3D=3D "dump"
			? =
'http://www.nabble.com/Display-Characters-in-terminal-I-O-on-simulator-t4=
648430.html'
			: =
'http://www.nabble.com/Display-Characters-in-terminal-I-O-on-simulator-tf=
4648430.html'
		)
		+ '" target=3D"_top">Return to thread</a>'
	);
} else if( Nabble.prev )
	Nabble.writeReturnToLink(Nabble.prev);
</SCRIPT>