Reply by Stan Katz September 18, 20042004-09-18
>> "Trey Weaver" <noemailtome@thanks.com> wrote in message >> news:hBG2d.25976$ci3.625744@twister.southeast.rr.com... >>> Yeah, ThreadX is a MicroKernal but NetX is not. Are you saying that >>> NETx has the TCP/IP stacks but provides no drivers to the Pysical Layer. >>> Can't be true, how could they test it. >>
I have used ThreadX/NetX successfully on a couple of platforms, porting hardware has never been an issue. All Threadx needs is a single timer/regular interrupt and most chips have one of these on chip anyway. The timer is only needed for pre-empting tasks so for the initial development I have sometimes ignored it. The only time I had any significant work porting was when I was changing both the Chip (SH3 to SH2) and the compiler (Greenhills to GNU) and I couldn't wait for EL to make the change - that took less than a week and the EL support was great.
EL usually supply a "RAM Driver" with their system that simulates 2 separate systems as tasks within a single CPU and simply passes messages via REM buffers. It gives a basic driver core and is easy to expand for any hardware. I have done 3 different drivers so far and it usually takes a couple of days (after I've read the MAC and PHY documentation) to get the basic functions working. Even the first one, when I was still learning about Ethernet and TCP only took 4 or 5 days to get sending and receiving packets. Adding all the bells and whistles (link control - selecting 10/100, duplex, multicast, etc. was done in stages but I don't think any of them took more than 3 weeks or so, while we were debugging hardware too usually. Stan Katz Control Technology Corp.
Reply by Neil Bradley September 17, 20042004-09-17
>I have sent them email about ethernet controllers, it has been 4 days >without a respose. I thought I would get one here faster.
Try giving them a call. Their sales team is really responsive. FWIW, I used ThreadX on our last embedded product and never had a single issue (ARM Thumb based). They'd be on the top of my list for any embedded project. -->Neil
Reply by Trey Weaver September 17, 20042004-09-17
I have sent them email about ethernet controllers, it has been 4 days
without a respose.  I thought I would get one here faster.

I have the processors.

Thanks,
Trey

> [...]
Reply by Trey Weaver September 17, 20042004-09-17
We are getting ready to start a new product and we are leaning to ThreadX
for the RTOS (our second choice in montavista) .  We want to base our
architecture off of PC/104.  I wanted advice on a SBC that is PC/104 (or has
a PC/104 bus on it) that is very easy to get ThreadX, NetX and  FileX up and
running on.  The board needs to have Ethernet (that NetX will work with) and
USB.  Order of preference for processors are ARM, PowerPC and 486.

I asked EL this question and they said "There are so many PC104 boards out
there we cannot recommend a specific one".  Many RTOS including Integrity,
QNX, MontaVista give list of boards that they support right "out of the box"

Thanks for your help.

Trey Weaver