Reply by Martin Griffith November 19, 20072007-11-19
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:43:52 +0100, in comp.arch.embedded "Meindert
Sprang" <ms@NOJUNKcustomORSPAMware.nl> wrote:

>"Martin Griffith" <mart_in_medina@ya___.es> wrote in message >news:4uhtj3d7mskjnkr00710jitl10fdb1spqs@4ax.com... >> You need a line driver, say LT1785, tie the RE1,DE1 together and use a >> port pin to select whether you are sending or receiving. >> Normally the 8051 would be in receive mode. > >And make sure the driver is in receive mode by default, before the 8051 is >initialised. > >Meindert >
Good point! martin What I do to electronics is what Chuck Norris does to acting
Reply by Meindert Sprang November 19, 20072007-11-19
"Martin Griffith" <mart_in_medina@ya___.es> wrote in message
> You need a line driver, say LT1785, tie the RE1,DE1 together and use a > port pin to select whether you are sending or receiving. > Normally the 8051 would be in receive mode.
And make sure the driver is in receive mode by default, before the 8051 is initialised. Meindert
Reply by karthikbalaguru November 19, 20072007-11-19
On Nov 17, 3:31 pm, "rajesh...@gmail.com" <rajesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to communicate with 10-15 micro controllers from the host micro > controller. Each node(independent micro controller) may be around 500 > meters distant from the host. The no. of micro controllers and the > distance may increase. I feel I should use RS485. > > Anybody, please let me know what should be done for RS485 ? I am OK > with RS232. Please help, Thanks !! >
If you have wireless support (RF LOS) Line-Of-Sight, you can go wireless. If you are going for only RS485, then you need to device a protocol for identification and communication among the controllers. And, Importantly, the RS485 driver. You can implement the communication logic similar to I2C or SPI protocol. You can try CAN also. With CAN, Bit rates up to 1 Mbit/s can be acheived for network length less than 40 m. Decreasing the bit rate increases the distance That is, aound 125 kbit/s at 500 m. Many methods are available and it depends on your requirement and design. Karthik Balaguru
Reply by November 17, 20072007-11-17
On Nov 17, 10:31=EF=BF=BDam, "rajesh...@gmail.com" <rajesh...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I want to communicate with 10-15 micro controllers from the host micro > controller. Each node(independent micro controller) may be around 500 > meters distant from the host. The no. of micro controllers and the > distance may increase. I feel I should use RS485. > > Anybody, please let me know what should be done for RS485 ? I am OK > with RS232. Please help, Thanks !! > > rajesh...@gmail.com
There are several approaches, just depends on details you haven't provided. A full description of the layout and coms requirment are needed.
Reply by TT_Man November 17, 20072007-11-17
<rajeshbij@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to communicate with 10-15 micro controllers from the host micro > controller. Each node(independent micro controller) may be around 500 > meters distant from the host. The no. of micro controllers and the > distance may increase. I feel I should use RS485. > > Anybody, please let me know what should be done for RS485 ? I am OK > with RS232. Please help, Thanks !! > > rajeshbij@gmail.com
Each of the 15 micros must have a unique address.( you could use 9 bit addressing but that's a pain IMO.) Define a packet structure for each direction. If you can, chose a return packet structure of n-1 where n= the number of packets sent from the PC to each micro. On address match, each micro will send it's return packet, enabling its own 485 transmitter. The PC 485 will have its own TX and Rx chips always enabled. The Micros will have their Rxs always enabled. You shouldn't use a star network unless the baud rate is very low. Single chain is best, using cat5 as the link cable, using the std wiring configuration pairs for Rx and Tx. Terminate at the PC and the LAST micro with 120 ohms across Rx and Tx. The spec for RS485 and full speed is 4,000 ft(1300 M) so your design exceeds the specs. So for it to work, you will need to do one of 2 things. Either drop your baud rate right down ( 19,200?) OR have a dedicated 485 transmitter/receiver for each node.......
Reply by DJ November 17, 20072007-11-17
> I want to communicate with 10-15 micro controllers from the host micro > controller. Each node(independent micro controller) may be around 500 > meters distant from the host. The no. of micro controllers and the > distance may increase. I feel I should use RS485. > > Anybody, please let me know what should be done for RS485 ? I am OK > with RS232. Please help, Thanks !! >
Some of 51's have also SPI interface which might be ok for that application. If you need 485 you need 485 line driver and extra pin for direction control. Anyway you need to develop some kind of protocol or get one from the net. If you do the hardware as well remember to put place for RS232 so you can solder either 232 or 485 (or both) - that will help with protocol debugging so you can send your data to PC terminal or display debug info. DJ
Reply by Martin Griffith November 17, 20072007-11-17
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 02:31:47 -0800 (PST), in comp.arch.embedded
"rajeshbij@gmail.com" <rajeshbij@gmail.com> wrote:

>I want to communicate with 10-15 micro controllers from the host micro >controller. Each node(independent micro controller) may be around 500 >meters distant from the host. The no. of micro controllers and the >distance may increase. I feel I should use RS485. > >Anybody, please let me know what should be done for RS485 ? I am OK >with RS232. Please help, Thanks !! > >rajeshbij@gmail.com
You need a line driver, say LT1785, tie the RE1,DE1 together and use a port pin to select whether you are sending or receiving. Normally the 8051 would be in receive mode. Or are you asking what sort of protocol to use? google 8051 rs485 multi-drop is helpful Martin
Reply by raje...@gmail.com November 17, 20072007-11-17