Reply by karthikbalaguru December 26, 20072007-12-26
43875-4c67-425a-b97c-7a9b7f779396@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
> > > Hi, > > Is it possible to generating Random Numbers via any hardware ? > > Google for 'Noise Diode'
I find that the idea of using Noise for Random Number generator is really cool :):) Karthik Balaguru
Reply by The Real Andy December 9, 20072007-12-09
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:43:40 +0000 (UTC), Alex Colvin
<alexc@TheWorld.com> wrote:

>>Is it possible to generating Random Numbers via any hardware ? > >In fact, it's not possible to generate random numbers any other way.
This is not entirely true, as a well seeded PRNG that is cycled in the backround can be just as random as a true hardware RNG.I guess one could argue the point that a PRNG seeded by hardware is a hardware RNG, but that is upto interperation. Also, I have seen plenty of Hardware RNG's that are less random than some PRNG's.
> >Do you want random or pseudo-random? >Do you want numbers that theoretically cannot be predicted, numbers that >we don't know how to predict (or if we know, we aren't telling), or >numbers that are merely hard to predict? >Are you defending against COTS technology, nation-states, quantum >technology, or alien technology?
The application is the key on exactly what is needed. Knuths books are a very good start. For true hardware RNG's Tundra used to make a device (RBG-1210 from memory) but last time I checked the website I could not find it. I have used many an algorithm for PRNG before, but I have had good success with Mersenne-Twister seeded with hardware, although this is not recommended for cryptography. There is a plethora of info available, but as I said before, the application is the key.
Reply by lowcost December 8, 20072007-12-08
karthikbalaguru ha scritto:
> Hi, > Is it possible to generating Random Numbers via any hardware ? > > Thx in advans, > Karthik Balaguru
in small microcontroller i'v made simil_roulette. the wheel is a fast pseudo_random ring counter (shift_xor). the pick_number time come from a slow and little variable timer: the charging time of 1 external capacitor placed on 1 I/O pin; current is feed from onchip pullup resistor. if wheel is quite fast (100 rev while timer) then few % variability in timer period make randomness. (thanks electrical noise from uC itself). ciao
Reply by Brendan Gillatt December 8, 20072007-12-08
Reply by Dave Hansen December 7, 20072007-12-07
On Dec 7, 12:16 pm, "Jim Relsh" <jrel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "karthikbalaguru" <karthikbalagur...@gmail.com> schreef in berichtnews:be043875-4c67-425a-b97c-7a9b7f779396@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > > > Hi, > > Is it possible to generating Random Numbers via any hardware ? > > Google for 'Noise Diode'
Or "Johnson Noise" "Random number" -=Dave
Reply by Andrew Smallshaw December 7, 20072007-12-07
On 2007-12-07, karthikbalaguru <karthikbalaguru79@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, > Is it possible to generating Random Numbers via any hardware ?
Yes, and it doesn't even need to be particularly complex. See http://willware.net/hw-rng.html However, to be doubly sure of good randomness I'd recommend hashing the resulting data with e.g. MD5 to remove any biases caused by the hardware itself. -- Andrew Smallshaw andrews@sdf.lonestar.org
Reply by Jim Granville December 7, 20072007-12-07
karthikbalaguru wrote:
> Hi, > Is it possible to generating Random Numbers via any hardware ? > > Thx in advans, > Karthik Balaguru
Yes, and many system already do. Seeded generators are very simple, but not truly random. Anyone who knows the exact time when they were seeded, can predict their next result. Analog systems can be either (multiple) Ring Oscillators, and/or deliberately noisy circuits. Ring Oscillators should be spread-sectrum to avoid snooping systems being able to derive information. -jg
Reply by Jim Relsh December 7, 20072007-12-07
"karthikbalaguru" <karthikbalaguru79@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi, > Is it possible to generating Random Numbers via any hardware ? >
Google for 'Noise Diode' -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
Reply by Alex Colvin December 7, 20072007-12-07
>Is it possible to generating Random Numbers via any hardware ?
In fact, it's not possible to generate random numbers any other way. Do you want random or pseudo-random? Do you want numbers that theoretically cannot be predicted, numbers that we don't know how to predict (or if we know, we aren't telling), or numbers that are merely hard to predict? Are you defending against COTS technology, nation-states, quantum technology, or alien technology? -- mac the na&#4294967295;f
Reply by Habib Bouaziz-Viallet December 7, 20072007-12-07
Le Fri, 07 Dec 2007 00:59:28 -0800, karthikbalaguru a &eacute;crit:

> Hi, > Is it possible to generating Random Numbers via any hardware ? > > Thx in advans, > Karthik Balaguru
I did it many years ago. I implemented (In LCA Xilinx) the well-known Lewis-Payne Fibonnacci-based pseudo RNG that is Xn = (X(n-24) + X(n-55))mod 2^32 The period of this RNG is # 2^85 Theory about RNG's --> D.E. Knuth Books BTW, you can simulate this in C and plotting samples (with gnuplot) to evaluate random distribution. I did not remember exactly bu it seemed to me that it was a quasi uniform distibution. -- HBV