Reply by Tauno Voipio September 2, 20042004-09-02
CBFalconer wrote:
> > Knuth, in his volume on floating point arithmetic, has a very good > discussion and has methods of computing the possible and probable > errors. >
The books are: Donald E. Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming: - Volume 1, Fundamental Algorithms, ISBN 0-201-89683-4, - Volume 2, Seminumerical Algorithms, ISBN 0-201-89684-2, and - Volume 3, Sorting and Searching, ISBN 0-201-89685-0 Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Reply by CBFalconer September 1, 20042004-09-01
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:
> "Thomas Magma" <somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote: > >> Thanks for all the responses. I guess I was just taking for >> granted that numbers are numbers and math is math. > > But the clean ideas in your mind are different from those > implemented in computers. You can easily imagine pi as exact, > for example, but a computer cannot achieve that, in practice. > >> The perfect world I lived in just came crashing down all around >> me. > > The study of this imperfect world uses various numerical methods, > which itself is good math to know. There's a book I like called > "Numerical Methods for Engineers" you might consider, as a start. > It has some very easy to read sections on errors in floating point > usage. And keep in mind that in computers things like A*(B+C) > does not equal A*B+A*C; or that subtracting two similar magnitude > values, A-B, where both A and B may have many bits of precision, > may provide a result with very few bits of precision.
Knuth, in his volume on floating point arithmetic, has a very good discussion and has methods of computing the possible and probable errors. -- A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Reply by Bob September 1, 20042004-09-01
"Thomas Magma" <somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for all the responses. I guess I was just taking for granted that > numbers are numbers and math is math. > > The perfect world I lived in just came crashing down all around me. >
We've all had times when the error of an assumption has been made painfully clear. If you explain the application and/or algorithm, someone here can probably help. In the meantime, I think we can all sympathize :-( Bob
Reply by Jonathan Kirwan September 1, 20042004-09-01
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:13:20 GMT, "Thomas Magma" <somewhere@overtherainbow.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses. I guess I was just taking for granted that >numbers are numbers and math is math.
But the clean ideas in your mind are different from those implemented in computers. You can easily imagine pi as exact, for example, but a computer cannot achieve that, in practice.
>The perfect world I lived in just came crashing down all around me.
The study of this imperfect world uses various numerical methods, which itself is good math to know. There's a book I like called "Numerical Methods for Engineers" you might consider, as a start. It has some very easy to read sections on errors in floating point usage. And keep in mind that in computers things like A*(B+C) does not equal A*B+A*C; or that subtracting two similar magnitude values, A-B, where both A and B may have many bits of precision, may provide a result with very few bits of precision. Jon
Reply by Richard September 1, 20042004-09-01
Dave Rooney <rooney@adi.com> wrote in

> > > Thomas Magma wrote: > >> Hi, >> >> I just wrote some DSP code in Java and ported it over to EVC for a >> PDA. Apparently EVC has a problem with the sin() of large numbers. >> What's up with this? I need to sin() large numbers. Any suggestions? >> >> Am I the only one that thinks that C, C++, and the MS foundation >> classes are a mess, and should be abolished? >> >> Thomas >> > Why not use sin( x % TWO_PI ); where TWO_PI is 6.283185..... > assuming x is in radians? >
For large numbers, I would expect he will have the same problems doing it this way, due to where the significant digits of the large number are. Even if it's using 80 bits, that's only 19ish significant digits, so once your number starts getting big enough that those 19 significant digits are to the right of the decimal point, or even close to that, you will lose accuracy rapidly. -- Richard
Reply by Grant Edwards September 1, 20042004-09-01
On 2004-09-01, Thomas Magma <somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses. I guess I was just taking for > granted that numbers are numbers and math is math.
You should stay away from computers... ;)
> The perfect world I lived in just came crashing down all around me.
Life's like that. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! There's a lot of BIG at MONEY in MISERY if you have visi.com an AGENT!!
Reply by Paul Keinanen September 1, 20042004-09-01
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:38:47 GMT, "Thomas Magma"
<somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote:

>Hi, > >I just wrote some DSP code in Java and ported it over to EVC for a PDA. >Apparently EVC has a problem with the sin() of large numbers. What's up with >this? I need to sin() large numbers. Any suggestions?
No doubt you are going to be in trouble taking sin(x) if x is float and x is a few millions. Since the mantissa in the IEEE float is only 24 bits and if you have a value around 1E6, the integer part requires about 20 bits and only 4 bits is available for the decimal part, thus you can have arguments at about every ten degrees only. You can not represent any angle in between. If you are going to need double precession for the argument, which usually means more than 50 bits for the mantissa. Assuming you have an int(x) function that will take the integer part (truncate) of a double argument x and return a 32 bit integer value. If the double argument X is positive and less than about 12E9, the following should give a reasonable accuracy. double frac_x, X, x1, y ; x1 = X / TWO_PI ; frac_x = x1 - int(x1) ; y = sin(TWO_PI*frac_x) ; Even at 12E9, there will be about 20 meaningful fractional bits, so you will still get different values for each arc second. If you need larger arguments than 12E9, you need an int function that returns a 64 bit value. How the negative values of X are handled, should be quite obvious.
>Am I the only one that thinks that C, C++, and the MS foundation classes are >a mess, and should be abolished?
While the MFC deserves a lot of criticism, I do not understand why your problems with sin(x) should justify that judgement. I have patched up some mathematical libraries written in assembler, so clearly the language is not an issue in writing bad math functions. Paul
Reply by Thomas Magma September 1, 20042004-09-01

On 2004-09-01, Thomas Magma <somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote:

>> Why not use sin( x % TWO_PI ); where TWO_PI is 6.283185..... assuming >> x is in radians?
> Could you explain that to me slowly. Are you suggesting that > sin(x%*2*pi) = sin(x*2*pi)?
No, he's telling you that for real numbers, by definition sin(x modulo (2*pi)) == sin(x) For floating point numbers, results vary depending on the value of x. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. I'm IMAGINING a at sensuous GIRAFFE, CAVORTING visi.com in the BACK ROOM of a KOSHER DELI --
Reply by Dave Hansen September 1, 20042004-09-01
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:09:26 GMT, "Thomas Magma"
<somewhere@overtherainbow.com> wrote:

re Subject: Math is universal.

>Well it's giving me the old -1.#IND00 at around sin(220000000.0). Shouldn't >the sin of any real number (double) equal something real? Java doesn't have >a problem with this.
Floating point numbers are not the same thing as real numbers. To quote the estimable David Goldberg[1]: "Squeezing infinitely many real numbers into a finite number of bits requires an approximate representation." Do you know what the sine function is? Do you really have to go around the circle more than 35 million times? Do you know what IND means? [1]"What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating Point Arithmetic" available in many locations on the web. Google is your friend. Regards, -=Dave -- Change is inevitable, progress is not.