Reply by -jg January 10, 20082008-01-10
Bob wrote:
> I'm considering using the Atmel LP214 to act as a translator between > legacy hardware and a new imager (camera) chip. It's 14pin, has enough > Flash and RAM, and has the UART and counter to make life easy, but I'm a > little unclear on how one debugs code on a part like this. > > I'm not interested in going back to the compile-burn-run puzzle or > dropping breadcrumbs (printf-style "begin Main()") - I like to step > through, set breakpoints and examine memory. Atmel shows how to use a > serial in circuit programmer connection, but it doesn't say JTAG so my > question is: Is there a debugger available for the AT89LP214?
If you go to http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools.asp?family_id=604 you will see they have a Simulator, and also an emulator add-on for Keil systems. A stand alone OCD from Atmel (that does not need Keil) is 'nearing release' it will use a RS232 port on the PC -jg
Reply by Bob January 9, 20082008-01-09
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> "Bob" <SkiBoyBob@excite.com> skrev i meddelandet > news:5uklupF1i9v98U1@mid.individual.net... >> I'm considering using the Atmel LP214 to act as a translator between >> legacy hardware and a new imager (camera) chip. It's 14pin, has enough >> Flash and RAM, and has the UART and counter to make life easy, but I'm a >> little unclear on how one debugs code on a part like this. >> >> I'm not interested in going back to the compile-burn-run puzzle or >> dropping breadcrumbs (printf-style "begin Main()") - I like to step >> through, set breakpoints and examine memory. Atmel shows how to use a >> serial in circuit programmer connection, but it doesn't say JTAG so my >> question is: Is there a debugger available for the AT89LP214? >> >> TIA, >> Bob > > Why not use the ATtiny2313 instead? > 2 kB code, SRAM, EEPROM and UART. > > You can get a free IAR C compiler (limited to 4 kB) also free gcc compiler. > AVR Studio is free. > STK500 is one of the better dev boards around. > JTAGICE Mk II is supporting the 2313 using debugwire > and will also support a vast number of 8 and 32 bit AVRs. > (There is a low cost AVR Dragon as well) > > The AVR simulator inside free studio will help you along if you choose not > to > get the JTAGICE Mk II.
Thanks, Ulf! I'm already using the JTAGICE Mk II/AVR Studio on the ATMegas, I just hadn't noticed the ATtiny parts - my bad. Bob
Reply by Ulf Samuelsson January 9, 20082008-01-09
"Bob" <SkiBoyBob@excite.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I'm considering using the Atmel LP214 to act as a translator between > legacy hardware and a new imager (camera) chip. It's 14pin, has enough > Flash and RAM, and has the UART and counter to make life easy, but I'm a > little unclear on how one debugs code on a part like this. > > I'm not interested in going back to the compile-burn-run puzzle or > dropping breadcrumbs (printf-style "begin Main()") - I like to step > through, set breakpoints and examine memory. Atmel shows how to use a > serial in circuit programmer connection, but it doesn't say JTAG so my > question is: Is there a debugger available for the AT89LP214? > > TIA, > Bob
Why not use the ATtiny2313 instead? 2 kB code, SRAM, EEPROM and UART. You can get a free IAR C compiler (limited to 4 kB) also free gcc compiler. AVR Studio is free. STK500 is one of the better dev boards around. JTAGICE Mk II is supporting the 2313 using debugwire and will also support a vast number of 8 and 32 bit AVRs. (There is a low cost AVR Dragon as well) The AVR simulator inside free studio will help you along if you choose not to get the JTAGICE Mk II. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply by donald January 9, 20082008-01-09
From the data sheet at: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=3955 The AT89LP213/214 On-chip Debug (OCD) System uses a two-wire serial interface to control program flow; read, modify, and write the system state; and program the nonvolatile memory. So, yes. donald