Reply by March 5, 20092009-03-05
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:

> Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 07:43:15 +0300 > From: Maxim S. Shatskih <maxim@storagecraft.com.no.spam> > Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded, comp.realtime, alt.os.development > Subject: Re: Seeking Operating System abstraction Layer > >> I assume you've considered Cygwin? >> www.cygwin.com >> It provides a Linux abstraction on Windows. Not sure if Vista is >> supported > > Supported. > > Also there is Microsoft Interix - a free download from MS IIRC, which is the same as Cygwin and probably better. >
If I read the question correctly, the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) comes pretty close to a portable OS abstraction layer, and offers file/directory access, mutex primitives, TCP/IP sockets abstraction, and various other facilities ... Its license is permissive (not GPL), and it is in daily use on millions of platforms support for Unix, Linux, Windoze and others ... http://apr.apache.org/ HTH, Rob Sciuk
Reply by Jeffrey Creem March 5, 20092009-03-05
Bruce Scherzinger wrote:
> I assume you've considered Cygwin? > www.cygwin.com > It provides a Linux abstraction on Windows. Not sure if Vista is > supported, but we use it on XP Pro. > > Baron Samedi wrote: >> On Jan 23, 10:18 pm, David Brown <da...@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> >> wrote: >>> Baron Samedi wrote: >>>> hi, >>>> I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily >>>> let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should >>>> preferably be free, or at least cheap. >>>> After lots of goggling, the only thing that looks anywhere near it to >>>> it is the old NASA OSAL, but that is incomplete and seems to be >>>> abandoned (even email is bouncing) . >>>> Does anyone know of anything which fits the bill, or nearly so? Even >>>> if it handles 2 out of 3, I suppose I could port the other. >>>> Any pointers to websites, books, etc. gratefully received., >>>> Thanks in advance for any help. >>> This depends entirely on the sort of OS services you want to use, and >>> the sort of system you are talking about. If you want to use a gui, >>> look at something like wxWidgets, or SDL. If your system is big enough, >>> look at a high-level language such as Python. If you are doing C++ >>> programming, consider the boost libraries. If you are doing unix-style >>> development, look at posix (windows is partly posix compliant, and can >>> be made more so with cygwin).- Hide quoted text - >>> >>> - Show quoted text - >> >> Sorry, I should ahve said - it's embedded stuff. So, no gui, just >> message send/receive, task spawn/kill, timers, mutex, semepahore...
Not attempting to start a language battle but Ada is available for all of those platforms and can provide the functions you are looking for.
Reply by Maxim S. Shatskih March 5, 20092009-03-05
>I assume you've considered Cygwin? > www.cygwin.com > It provides a Linux abstraction on Windows. Not sure if Vista is=20 > supported
Supported. Also there is Microsoft Interix - a free download from MS IIRC, which is = the same as Cygwin and probably better. --=20 Maxim S. Shatskih Windows DDK MVP maxim@storagecraft.com http://www.storagecraft.com
Reply by Bruce Scherzinger March 4, 20092009-03-04

Baron Samedi wrote:
> On Jan 23, 10:18 pm, David Brown <da...@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> > wrote: >> Baron Samedi wrote: >>> hi, >>> I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily >>> let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should >>> preferably be free, or at least cheap. >>> After lots of goggling, the only thing that looks anywhere near it to >>> it is the old NASA OSAL, but that is incomplete and seems to be >>> abandoned (even email is bouncing) . >>> Does anyone know of anything which fits the bill, or nearly so? Even >>> if it handles 2 out of 3, I suppose I could port the other. >>> Any pointers to websites, books, etc. gratefully received., >>> Thanks in advance for any help. >> This depends entirely on the sort of OS services you want to use, and >> the sort of system you are talking about. If you want to use a gui, >> look at something like wxWidgets, or SDL. If your system is big enough, >> look at a high-level language such as Python. If you are doing C++ >> programming, consider the boost libraries. If you are doing unix-style >> development, look at posix (windows is partly posix compliant, and can >> be made more so with cygwin).- Hide quoted text - >> >> - Show quoted text - > > Sorry, I should ahve said - it's embedded stuff. So, no gui, just > message send/receive, task spawn/kill, timers, mutex, semepahore...
Reply by EventHelix.com January 27, 20082008-01-27
On Jan 22, 4:52=A0am, Baron Samedi <Papa.Legba....@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, > > =A0 I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily > let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should > preferably be free, or at least cheap. > > After lots of goggling, the only thing that looks anywhere near it to > it is the old NASA OSAL, but that is incomplete and seems to be > abandoned (even email is bouncing) . > > Does anyone know of anything which fits the bill, or nearly so? Even > if it handles 2 out of 3, I suppose I could port the other. > > Any pointers to websites, books, etc. gratefully received., > > Thanks in advance for any help.
I would recommend looking into ACE. ACE has a built in hardware abstraction layer that should be useful. ACE can be found at: http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html -- EventStudio 4.0 - http://www.Eventhelix.com/Eventstudio/ Sequence diagram based embedded system design tool
Reply by Marco January 26, 20082008-01-26
On Jan 22, 2:52 am, Baron Samedi <Papa.Legba....@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, > > I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily > let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should > preferably be free, or at least cheap. > > After lots of goggling, the only thing that looks anywhere near it to > it is the old NASA OSAL, but that is incomplete and seems to be > abandoned (even email is bouncing) .
abandoned? OSAL had a release in Oct 2007. The whole idea of open source is that others contribute to make it better. If you or your company can't contribute, then it is best to purchase a commercial product.
Reply by Simon Wright January 24, 20082008-01-24
Baron Samedi <Papa.Legba.666@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry, I should ahve said - it's embedded stuff. So, no gui, just > message send/receive, task spawn/kill, timers, mutex, semepahore...
Then Ada would suit just fine -- we regularly port the same code base between Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, VxWorks. All these can be had for free (with a bit of digging) bar VxWorks. A powerpc-wrs-vxworks compiler and support for GCC GNAT Ada is available at a cost which makes more sense if there are several of you and you need support. People like Green Hills, Aonix support VxWorks for fewer bucks. I believe a free GNAT is available for MaRTE OS, http://marte.unican.es/
Reply by Paul Keinanen January 24, 20082008-01-24
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:22:47 -0800 (PST), Baron Samedi
<Papa.Legba.666@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jan 23, 9:13&#4294967295;am, Gene S. Berkowitz <first.l...@verizon.net> wrote: >> In article <60bddd6e-3e04-4632-b37f-06687f8f3...@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, >> Papa.Legba....@gmail.com says...
>> > &#4294967295; I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily >> > let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should >> > preferably be free, or at least cheap.
>> I think POSIX compliance is along the lines of what you're looking for.
>I woudl agree, but those three o/s are not all completely posix >compliant :-(
Why would you expect that ? Take a look of some OS independent API, try to port it to all your required operating systems using their native primitives. If there are features that do not _readily_ map into _all_ OS platforms, just advice application programmers that these features should not be used if possible. Paul
Reply by David Brown January 24, 20082008-01-24
Baron Samedi wrote:
> On Jan 23, 10:18 pm, David Brown <da...@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> > wrote: >> Baron Samedi wrote: >>> hi, >>> I am seeking an Operating System Abstraction Layer which will easily >>> let me port my code to Windows, Linux and VxWorks. It should >>> preferably be free, or at least cheap. >>> After lots of goggling, the only thing that looks anywhere near it to >>> it is the old NASA OSAL, but that is incomplete and seems to be >>> abandoned (even email is bouncing) . >>> Does anyone know of anything which fits the bill, or nearly so? Even >>> if it handles 2 out of 3, I suppose I could port the other. >>> Any pointers to websites, books, etc. gratefully received., >>> Thanks in advance for any help. >> This depends entirely on the sort of OS services you want to use, and >> the sort of system you are talking about. If you want to use a gui, >> look at something like wxWidgets, or SDL. If your system is big enough, >> look at a high-level language such as Python. If you are doing C++ >> programming, consider the boost libraries. If you are doing unix-style >> development, look at posix (windows is partly posix compliant, and can >> be made more so with cygwin).- Hide quoted text - >> >> - Show quoted text - > > Sorry, I should ahve said - it's embedded stuff. So, no gui, just > message send/receive, task spawn/kill, timers, mutex, semepahore...
I thought it was probably embedded, and possibly real-time, given the newsgroups you posted to, but then you mentioned windows! Embedded systems are often connected to PC's to provide a non-critical gui, so it was worth checking. From what I've read from your other posts, it does sound like posix may be your best bet. Since posix is a standard, and everyone likes to implement different bits of standards in different ways, you'll have to find a common subset that is reasonably consistent across your OS's, but it could be a workable starting point.
Reply by Baron Samedi January 24, 20082008-01-24