Reply by Alan Cohen August 31, 20042004-08-31
Anton:

These ARE somewhat pricey, but they are Class 1 Bluetooth, which has
enormous range: we routinely get 50 meters INDOORS with two Class 1
devices.  In fact, I can remove the antenna and stick it in a steel
filing cabinet and still get a good signal.

In any case, another alternative that we are starting to explore is
www.blueradios.com which are also Class 1 devices and go down to $35 at
100 pcs.  We just got the eval kit - if you ask again in a few weeks, i
can let you know how things are going.

In our case, we require Class 1, and we've not seen any cheaper options.

Al

Anton Erasmus wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:05:52 -0400, Alan Cohen > <amc79@cornell.nojunkplease.edu> wrote: > > >>http://www.lemosint.com/scripts/bluetooth_promiesd.asp >> >>We've used it with superb results. > > > Thanks, > > I had a look and they definately would do the job. The price I > feel might be a bit high. For the same price one can buy a GSM > module with GPRS. Wasn't bluetooth supposed to be a lot cheaper ? > Is US$80 for a bluetooth module about average ? For the application > I have in mind I need a price of below US$40 for low quantities. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus > > > >>Anton Erasmus wrote: >> >>>Hi, >>> >>>Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can >>>connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to >>>write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple >>>commands to the module, and the module should handle all the >>>protocol specifics of bluetooth. >>> >>>Regards >>> Anton Erasmus >>> > >
Reply by Anton Erasmus August 31, 20042004-08-31
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:05:52 -0400, Alan Cohen
<amc79@cornell.nojunkplease.edu> wrote:

>http://www.lemosint.com/scripts/bluetooth_promiesd.asp > >We've used it with superb results.
Thanks, I had a look and they definately would do the job. The price I feel might be a bit high. For the same price one can buy a GSM module with GPRS. Wasn't bluetooth supposed to be a lot cheaper ? Is US$80 for a bluetooth module about average ? For the application I have in mind I need a price of below US$40 for low quantities. Regards Anton Erasmus
>Anton Erasmus wrote: >> Hi, >> >> Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can >> connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to >> write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple >> commands to the module, and the module should handle all the >> protocol specifics of bluetooth. >> >> Regards >> Anton Erasmus >>
Reply by Alan Cohen August 31, 20042004-08-31
Yes, we're chatting happily with a Linksys USB dongle; I believe that
we've had multiple simultaneous promi<->dongle conversations, but can't
swear to it.  In principal, it shouldn't be a problem.

Al

bit eimer wrote:

> Have you used this to communicate with a USB/Bluetooth dongle on a PC? > > On their webpage, they talk of point-to-point comm; do you know if multiple > such units can talk "simultaneously" to a single bluetooth dongle? > > Sorry if these might be stupid questions - I'm new to Bluetooth. >
Reply by bit eimer August 30, 20042004-08-30

--
...The Bit Eimer     [remove keinewurst and reverse letters in domain to
email me]

"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

"Alan Cohen" <amc79@cornell.nojunkplease.edu> wrote in message
> http://www.lemosint.com/scripts/bluetooth_promiesd.asp > > We've used it with superb results. > > Anton Erasmus wrote: > > Hi, > > > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can > > connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to > > write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple > > commands to the module, and the module should handle all the > > protocol specifics of bluetooth. > > > > Regards > > Anton Erasmus > >
Reply by Alan Cohen August 30, 20042004-08-30

Anton Erasmus wrote:
> Hi, > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can > connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to > write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple > commands to the module, and the module should handle all the > protocol specifics of bluetooth. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus >
Reply by Mikael Sylvest August 30, 20042004-08-30
I sure have seen one and held it in my hand.
DevKits are purchaseable at www.zen-sys.com .

/mikael

"myren, lord" <thefowle@wam.umd.edu> skrev i en meddelelse
> Has anyone ever actually seen a Zensys product? They were talking smack > about some badass low-bitrate wireless meshing module based off an 8051 > some time ago. Aimed for home automation and what not. It looked > pretty cool, but I havent seen or heard from them in a long long time. > > They're not purchasable, are they? > > Myren
Reply by David Powell August 29, 20042004-08-29
Hi,

I'm an embedded developer, but never worked on any Bluetooth stuff before.

Does anyone have any good links so I can do some reading up?

I am wondering what hw/sw would be involved in a Bluetooth hands free kit
for a mobile ( cell ) phone? Like the little Bluetooth head-sets you can buy
for $40 or so?? Do people offer off the shelf modules for this?

Thanks,
David.

"Anton Erasmus" <nobody@spam.prevent.net> wrote in message
> Hi, > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can > connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to > write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple > commands to the module, and the module should handle all the > protocol specifics of bluetooth. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus >
Reply by myren, lord August 28, 20042004-08-28
Has anyone ever actually seen a Zensys product?  They were talking smack
about some badass low-bitrate wireless meshing module based off an 8051
some time ago.  Aimed for home automation and what not.  It looked
pretty cool, but I havent seen or heard from them in a long long time.

They're not purchasable, are they?

Myren
Reply by August 28, 20042004-08-28
I am using BRM01 from RF Solutions.

http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk

SDC

"Anton Erasmus" <nobody@spam.prevent.net> escreveu na mensagem
> Hi, > > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive bluetooth module that one can > connect to a MCU via the serial, SPI or I2C port. I do not want to > write the prorcol stack myself. I should be able to use simple > commands to the module, and the module should handle all the > protocol specifics of bluetooth. > > Regards > Anton Erasmus >
Reply by Rob Young August 28, 20042004-08-28
Parallax is selling one. Go to their web site (www.parallax.com I think) and search the catalog for Bluetooth. I've used them to communicate between a data acquisiton module based around a PIC 16F and a PC with a Linksys Bluetooth to USB widget. Worked very well. Rob Young rwyoung@ieee.org