Reply by August 26, 20042004-08-26
On Thursday, in article <cgks6d$4vq$1@pump1.york.ac.uk>
     as69@york.ac.uk "Anthony Simpson" wrote:

>Does anybody know of a cmos based camer that has an intergrated >microcontroler which can be programed to process images, background >subtraction - point tracking and then stream custom data across tcp/ip?
That's a lot for a camera :-^ What you are describing is some form of dedicted image processing system. Often described as Machine Vision and these are NOT cheap.
>It just seems so wrong to be using usb cameras, I'm streaming 4 into my >computer at the moment and the bandwidth on my usb2 is already critical -
So you have dicsovered that image processing is lots and lots and lots of data to deal with. If your budget was only viable to use USB cameras, then you need to rethink the solution from basics, then work out what goes where.
>what i want is a cloud of customisable vision sensors that only braudcast >the data I need in a format I want.
That is why you have a PC, you will probably need a cloud of PCs (or their equivalents) to handle the cloud of cameras. To me it sounds like you have not thought through what is happening and the amount of data and processing required let alone transmission. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserv.demon.co.uk <http://www.pcserv.demon.co.uk/> Main Site <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 & mailing list info. <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate.
Reply by Linnix August 26, 20042004-08-26
"Anthony Simpson" <as69@york.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cgks6d$4vq$1@pump1.york.ac.uk>...
> Does anybody know of a cmos based camer that has an intergrated > microcontroler which can be programed to process images, background > subtraction - point tracking and then stream custom data across tcp/ip?
Very simple to build one. However, I would use a pc-compatible SBC to deal with usb and tcp. USB is more than enough to deal with one camera. Unless you add external memory and stuffs, micro-controllers don't come with enough memory for any image processing.
> > It just seems so wrong to be using usb cameras, I'm streaming 4 into my
You should have one-to-one pairs. Namely, one SBC per camera.
> computer at the moment and the bandwidth on my usb2 is already critical - > what i want is a cloud of customisable vision sensors that only braudcast > the data I need in a format I want.
You should scan and transmit only the delta data between frames, similar to mpeg, but to a much lesser degree. Email me (epl_at_linnix_dot_com) if you need more details.