Reply by Nico Admin March 1, 20082008-03-01
>Hi, I am considering using an ENC28J60 to provide ethernet access for my >project; however, I am required to build a separate board for my >microcontroller. Can you guys suggest a microcontroller which is easiest >(in terms of interfacing and coding) to use to drive the enc28j60? I >looked at PIC because they offer royalty-free tcp/ip stack code but I'm >not familiar with them I don't even know if a separate device is needed
>program it with a pc (icd2? is that a software or hardware?). I know how
>code Z8 encore!, its fairly straight forward to code (only needs rs232 >connection) but I don't have the time to write the code for tcp/ip since >its not the focus of the project. Thanks! >
Hi I wanted to use the ENC28J60 also for the same reasons, also had to throw in a micro so decided to rather go for the PIC18F97J60 which basically has the silicon of the ENC28J60 integrated on chip. I works wonderfully. Nico
Reply by Murray R. Van Luyn. February 29, 20082008-02-29
"sani_figs" <adrian_figui@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am considering using an ENC28J60 to provide ethernet access for my > project; however, I am required to build a separate board for my > microcontroller. Can you guys suggest a microcontroller which is easiest > (in terms of interfacing and coding) to use to drive the enc28j60? I > looked at PIC because they offer royalty-free tcp/ip stack code but I'm > not familiar with them I don't even know if a separate device is needed to > program it with a pc (icd2? is that a software or hardware?). I know how > to > code Z8 encore!, its fairly straight forward to code (only needs rs232 > connection) but I don't have the time to write the code for tcp/ip since > its not the focus of the project. Thanks!
Royalty free TCP/IP written in C with English comments. Microcontroller indusstry standard Ethernet controller onboard. Ultra-popular AT89C51ED2 controller. Cheap USD$79.00 What else do you want? http://members.iinet.net.au/~vanluynm/Embedded_8051_TCPIP_Webserver.php Regards, Murray R. Van Luyn. -- 32&#4294967295;02'14.23"S 115&#4294967295;53'21.30"E http://www.review-a-gadget.com/ http://www.reviewagadget.com/ http://members.iinet.net.au/~vanluynm/ <- FREE 8052 Code
Reply by Frank-Christian Kruegel February 29, 20082008-02-29
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 22:11:48 -0600, "sani_figs" <adrian_figui@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>program it with a pc (icd2? is that a software or hardware?). I know how to >code Z8 encore!, its fairly straight forward to code (only needs rs232 >connection) but I don't have the time to write the code for tcp/ip since >its not the focus of the project. Thanks!
If you know the low-end Zilogs, the Zilog ez80F91 should be easiest for you to learn. A 10/100 Ethernet MAC is built-in into the processor, you'll have to add a PHY. The ZTP stack has many protocols built-in - http, smtp, snmp, ppp, ftp, ntp, dhcp, ... and is free. Otherwise there are many people who have used the Microchip part with an AVR controller. At the moment I only find two links. http://home.arcor.de/fuenfundachtzig/me/me.htm (German,sorry) http://www.tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200606/article06061.shtml Mit freundlichen Gr&#4294967295;&#4294967295;en Frank-Christian Kr&#4294967295;gel
Reply by Maki February 29, 20082008-02-29
<snip>
Can you guys suggest a microcontroller which is easiest
> (in terms of interfacing and coding) to use to drive the enc28j60? I > looked at PIC because they offer royalty-free tcp/ip stack code but I'm > not familiar with them I don't even know if a separate device is needed to > program it with a pc (icd2? is that a software or hardware?).
I would go for PIC-s. TCP/IP stack is of good quality and low level interface is done for You. And You have a chance to get familiar with another architecture. You need icd2 which is programer/serial debuger and a C compiler which You can buy or download a student time limited edition. If You don't wanna buy icd2 You can use some of those home made programmers out there.
> Thanks!
No problemo :)
Reply by sani_figs February 29, 20082008-02-29