Reply by David M. Palmer April 4, 20082008-04-04
In article
<3c7e69cb-543e-4f06-b820-292b68f6086c@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
ErikAkerfeldt <erikake@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, > > I like to have my small hobby system sending status SMS to my mobile. > I figure the easiest way is to just connect the system, over either > UART or USB, to a cheap off the shelf mobile phone (older Nokia etc).
If your hobby system is attached to the internet (or attachable to a system attached to the internet) then you may want to see if your mobile provider has an email-to-sms gateway. Save you from having to buy a second service plan for the sending phone. If not, Sparkfun has some cellphone modules. The cost is way more than an old phone that someone discarded because it only has a 3 MPixel camera, but the downloadable documentation for the modules might be informative enough to help you in whatever phone you choose. http://www.sparkfun.com -- David M. Palmer dmpalmer@email.com (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
Reply by Hugh April 3, 20082008-04-03
Early Ericsson gsm handsets are easier to use as they are more "open" than
the Nokia proprietary interface and commands.  Nokia was not strictly AT
command set compatible.

"ErikAkerfeldt" <erikake@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I like to have my small hobby system sending status SMS to my mobile. > I figure the easiest way is to just connect the system, over either > UART or USB, to a cheap off the shelf mobile phone (older Nokia etc). > > Now to my question: > Is there any standard phone with good documentation on the AT commands > and/or good documentation on other API for simple GSM and Messaging > operations. > > Br > Erik
Reply by Mike G April 2, 20082008-04-02
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 23:57:48 -0700 (PDT), ErikAkerfeldt
<erikake@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, > >I like to have my small hobby system sending status SMS to my mobile. >I figure the easiest way is to just connect the system, over either >UART or USB, to a cheap off the shelf mobile phone (older Nokia etc). > >Now to my question: >Is there any standard phone with good documentation on the AT commands >and/or good documentation on other API for simple GSM and Messaging >operations. > >Br >Erik
Using an "older Nokia" is a good idea if it's connectable as a GSM modem with a (serial) data cable. This way, you can communicate directly with it using AT commands instead of descending into the MBUS/FBUS interface. I found the following website helpful. http://www.alsutton.com/Nokia6210_SMS.html
Reply by dk April 2, 20082008-04-02
On Apr 2, 11:57=A0am, ErikAkerfeldt <erik...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, > > I like to have my small hobby system sending status SMS to my mobile. > I figure the easiest way is to just connect the system, over either > UART or USB, to a cheap off the shelf mobile phone (older Nokia etc). > > Now to my question: > Is there any standard phone with good documentation on the AT commands > and/or good documentation on other API for simple GSM and Messaging > operations. > > Br > Erik
You can do this by getting a GSM modem available in the market, connected to your PC through RS-232 port. Cheers! -dK
Reply by ErikAkerfeldt April 2, 20082008-04-02