Reply by larwe April 7, 20082008-04-07
On Apr 7, 12:56 pm, Eric <englere_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I tried to download their Windows program that lets you play with > different power dissipation scenerios, but they made me register > first. So I registered, and that was a week ago. I'm still waiting.
There shouldn't have been any waiting at all - when I downloaded it the other day, clicking submit on the registration info took me direct to the download page for the utility.
> MSP430's are still a great choice for low power requirements. The main > thing that interested me in the siLabs devices is the built-in > switching power supply. It has enough current to power some other
This is exactly why I am interested in it. The part is more or less perfect for us - 65mW out of the switcher is very well dimensioned to our need for about 15mA @ 1.9V :)
Reply by Eric April 7, 20082008-04-07
On Apr 4, 8:13=A0am, larwe <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone here used the new 0.9V single-cell 8051 parts with sdcc? I > am keen to experiment with these chips, and I'd prefer to work in C, > but I'm not paying for a Keil license just for playing around.
I tried to download their Windows program that lets you play with different power dissipation scenerios, but they made me register first. So I registered, and that was a week ago. I'm still waiting. I don't want to be a member of a secret club. If they won't let me play with their stuff, then so be it. MSP430's are still a great choice for low power requirements. The main thing that interested me in the siLabs devices is the built-in switching power supply. It has enough current to power some other stuff, also. Eric
Reply by April 5, 20082008-04-05
Take a look at www.dunfield.com. He has a C compiler & assembler for the
8051. It requires 16 bit msdos and is old fashioned, which was the reason for
buying. The avr I am using & the 8051, at least the 8k, 16k, 32k versions,
don't overpower even old compilers.

Hul

larwe <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone here used the new 0.9V single-cell 8051 parts with sdcc? I > am keen to experiment with these chips, and I'd prefer to work in C, > but I'm not paying for a Keil license just for playing around.
> Thanks!
Reply by donald April 4, 20082008-04-04
Freelance Embedded Systems Engineer wrote:
> larwe wrote: >> Has anyone here used the new 0.9V single-cell 8051 parts with sdcc? I >> am keen to experiment with these chips, and I'd prefer to work in C, >> but I'm not paying for a Keil license just for playing around. >> Thanks! >
How about SDCC itself: On: http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/en/mcu_applications_appnotes.htm Look under Development Tools for: Integrating SDCC 8051 Tools Into The Silicon Labs IDE http://www.silabs.com/public/documents/tpub_doc/anote/Microcontrollers/en/an198.pdf http://www.silabs.com/public/documents/software_doc/othersoftware/Microcontrollers/en/AN198SW.zip
Reply by larwe April 4, 20082008-04-04
On Apr 4, 10:00=A0am, Freelance Embedded Systems Engineer
<g9u5d...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> larwe wrote: > > Has anyone here used the new 0.9V single-cell 8051 parts with sdcc? I > > am keen to experiment with these chips, and I'd prefer to work in C, > > Why SDCC just to play? =A0For $99 you can get the Silabs C8051F930DK devel=
opment kit
> from Mouser.com, which includes the Silab IDE and the Keil tools with a 4K=
limit. Ah, I didn't realize that. 4K is more than enough for what I need to do. But last time I experimented with Keil's demo version, it was way more limited - you couldn't locate code at the POR start area of the chip, and the limit was 2K IIRC. The distri is bringing me a toolstick or two to play with very soon, I hope. These parts would be very interesting for the product area where I work; the low power and good mixed-signal performance plus the spread-spectrum clocking are tasty. Looking forward to the smaller variants too - 32K is way overkill for us. Thanks for the reply.
Reply by Freelance Embedded Systems Engineer April 4, 20082008-04-04
larwe wrote:
> Has anyone here used the new 0.9V single-cell 8051 parts with sdcc? I > am keen to experiment with these chips, and I'd prefer to work in C, > but I'm not paying for a Keil license just for playing around. > Thanks!
Why SDCC just to play? For $99 you can get the Silabs C8051F930DK development kit from Mouser.com, which includes the Silab IDE and the Keil tools with a 4K limit. Read the Silab "Application Note &#4294967295;AN104: Integrating Keil 8051 Tools Into the Silicon Labs IDE" which contains instructions for obtaining the 4 k limited version of the Keil toolset. http://www.silabs.com/public/documents/tpub_doc/anote/Microcontrollers/en/an104.pdf http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/en/C8051F930DK.htm http://www.silabs.com/public/documents/tpub_doc/uguide/Microcontrollers/LowVoltage_LowPower/en/C8051F930-DK.pdf I've no financial interest in Silabs, but I've used their C8051 development kit before and I thought it was pretty easy to get up and running quickly.