Reply by Ed Beroset August 17, 20042004-08-17
Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:
> "Ed Beroset" <beroset@mindspring.com> wrote in message > news:C9bUc.24043$nx2.8407@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net... > >>I own a Zaurus, but if you're looking exclusively for Pocket PC >>solutions, you won't want this -- it runs Linux. >>
> It looks they are retired by Sharp, am I correct?
No, that's incorrect. In fact, they just released a new model in March of this year, the SL-6000. Ed
Reply by TheDoc August 17, 20042004-08-17
"Marc Ramsey" <marc@ranlog.comREMOVE> wrote in message
> TheDoc wrote: > > Both the older HP jornada series and the newer Dell Axim support 232 > > forget USB/232.. you need a host not a client. > > The Axim serial port uses 3.3V logic levels, so it can not be hooked up > directly to an RS232 device. The serial hotsync cable contains an RS232
I said it supported 232, not had 232 levels.. you need a cheap $25 cable adaptor to get a 9 pin interface.. same with HP.
> level converter, which is powered by the host PC handshaking lines. > This makes it pretty much unsuitable for use with most serial GPS units, > except for those few devices that also provide a 3.3V serial interface. > > Most iPAQs have RS232 level serial ports, the exception is the 19xx > devices, which lack an external connection to the port. > > Marc
Reply by Gerard Zagema / StackTools August 17, 20042004-08-17
> This would conclude: > * Going for IrDA is the best option to support many PocketPCs > (does the IrDA support 9600 baud on PocketPC?)
IrDA starts with 9600 baud to discover devices, it can switch after that to higher baudrates. (if supported by the devices). IrDA stack (only sec.) for 8051 approx 5K rom / 250 bytes ram Gerard www.StackTools.com http://stacktools.com:100
Reply by Joris Dobbelsteen August 17, 20042004-08-17
Thanks for your responses. They helped me a good deal.

This would conclude:
* Going for IrDA is the best option to support many PocketPCs
   (does the IrDA support 9600 baud on PocketPC?)
* Buy a PDA with RS232
   (iPaq or Axim+changed hardware)
* USB is useless on the PDA anyways, its a 'slave', not host.
   (some exceptions)

An option would be:
* RS232 Compact-Flash device
   (http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/interface/cf232.php)

Are there any recommendations on this?
(Or corrections to the above)

- Joris

Reply by Joris Dobbelsteen August 17, 20042004-08-17
"Ed Beroset" <beroset@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > I own a Zaurus, but if you're looking exclusively for Pocket PC > solutions, you won't want this -- it runs Linux. >
It looks they are retired by Sharp, am I correct? - Joris
Reply by Marc Ramsey August 16, 20042004-08-16
TheDoc wrote:
> Both the older HP jornada series and the newer Dell Axim support 232 > forget USB/232.. you need a host not a client.
The Axim serial port uses 3.3V logic levels, so it can not be hooked up directly to an RS232 device. The serial hotsync cable contains an RS232 level converter, which is powered by the host PC handshaking lines. This makes it pretty much unsuitable for use with most serial GPS units, except for those few devices that also provide a 3.3V serial interface. Most iPAQs have RS232 level serial ports, the exception is the 19xx devices, which lack an external connection to the port. Marc
Reply by TheDoc August 16, 20042004-08-16
"Joris Dobbelsteen" <REMOVE.UPPERCASE.joris@jAoris2k.aTth.cXx> wrote in
message news:4120d870$0$145$18b6e80@news.wanadoo.nl...
> Dear, > > I'm looking for a handheld PC running Windows (CE/Mobile) with a RS232 > connection. > Or unless someone can inform me about whether a USB-to-RS232 device works
on
> these devices? > > Thank you, > > - Joris > >
Both the older HP jornada series and the newer Dell Axim support 232 forget USB/232.. you need a host not a client.
Reply by Ed Beroset August 16, 20042004-08-16
Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:

> I'm looking for a handheld PC running Windows (CE/Mobile) with a RS232 > connection. > Or unless someone can inform me about whether a USB-to-RS232 device works on > these devices?
There aren't many Pocket PC (new name for CE) devices which have a real RS-232 port. There are adapters for the iPAQ to connect to a 9-pin RS-232 device, but I haven't personally tried it, so I don't which pins are actually connected or what the support looks like from the Pocket PC OS. As for USB, you should be aware that USB is not like RS-232 in that USB requires a USB Host (master) and USB Devices (slaves). Most PDAs are only capable of acting as USB Devices, and can't host. Naturally, most RS-232 to USB adapters are also exclusively USB Devices and also can't host. This means that connecting a PDA to a USB-to-RS-232 adapter is unlikely to work. I have read that Toshiba and Casio both produce PDAs which have USB Hosting capability and I know that there is a Compact Flash card that will endow that capability to an iPAQ or to a Zaurus. I own a Zaurus, but if you're looking exclusively for Pocket PC solutions, you won't want this -- it runs Linux. Ed
Reply by John Tserkezis August 16, 20042004-08-16
Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:

> I'm looking for a handheld PC running Windows (CE/Mobile) with a RS232 > connection.
This question is better asked in sci.geo.sattelite-nav believe it or not. There is some demand for PDAs with serial ports so you can plug your GPS unit into them. Generally speaking, the mid to higher end units have serial ports, the lower end (cheap) units generally do not. As already mentioned in this thread, you may be able to work around it to some extent with an IrDA interface, as it appears Infra Red is more prevalant than RS232 on PDAs.
> Or unless someone can inform me about whether a USB-to-RS232 device works on > these devices?
Yes, but only a few select models, and expensive at that. And from what I remember reading, you can't use any USB/RS232 interface, it has to be designed for the PDA, AND the PDA needs to support host-side USB comms for it to work (very few do). Not really a viable option IMO, unless it's a one-off, you already have the PDA, and are not willing to spend at least that much again to crossgrade to a different brand PDA that does have RS232. It would be a much better option to do your homework _before_ buying the PDA (exactly as you're doing now). -- Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>
Reply by - August 16, 20042004-08-16
Hi,

I use IrDA for serial comm with PocktPC. Easy programmable in Studio and
almost on every handheld.

Gerard