Reply by Wim Lewis July 26, 20082008-07-26
In article <3f388f3d-684e-40e0-907a-fbb1ae57f894@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
Bob  <bob3635x@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know the lowest cost microcontroller with a USB interface? > >I have done some Googling, and it seems there are quite a few USB >microcontrollers based on either ARM or 8051. Either is okay, but >they are not very cheap. They are all over $3 @ qty 1000. > >The cheapest I have found so far is the Atmel AT90USB82, which is >an AVR. It is just under $2 @ qty 1000.
If you only need low-speed USB, you can do it in software on an ATtiny: http://www.obdev.at/products/avrusb/index.html Presumably this would let you shave a little off the MCU cost, but the USB implementation licensing might eat up that advantage. -- Wim Lewis <wiml@hhhh.org>, Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply by Neil July 23, 20082008-07-23
Bob wrote:
> Does anyone know the lowest cost microcontroller with a USB interface? > > I have done some Googling, and it seems there are quite a few USB > microcontrollers based on either ARM or 8051. Either is okay, but > they are not very cheap. They are all over $3 @ qty 1000. > > The cheapest I have found so far is the Atmel AT90USB82, which is > an AVR. It is just under $2 @ qty 1000. > > Here is what I need: > > Essential: > USB (low or full speed) > Cheap > 10 I/O (8 outputs, 2 inputs) > >= 1k program memory > >= 256 bytes non-volatile data (eg EEPROM) > > Nice to have: > UART > Integrated Oscillator > Very low power sleep mode > Small package > > Not needed: > High-speed USB > Fast CPU > > If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. > > -Bob
Microchip has $2.12
Reply by Antti July 22, 20082008-07-22
On 22 juuli, 09:32, Bob <bob36...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know the lowest cost microcontroller with a USB interface? > > I have done some Googling, and it seems there are quite a few USB > microcontrollers based on either ARM or 8051. =A0Either is okay, but > they are not very cheap. =A0They are all over $3 @ qty 1000. > > The cheapest I have found so far is the Atmel AT90USB82, which is > an AVR. =A0It is just under $2 @ qty 1000. > > Here is what I need: > > =A0 =A0Essential: > =A0 =A0 =A0 USB (low or full speed) > =A0 =A0 =A0 Cheap > =A0 =A0 =A0 10 I/O =A0(8 outputs, 2 inputs) > =A0 =A0 =A0 >=3D 1k program memory > =A0 =A0 =A0 >=3D 256 bytes non-volatile data (eg EEPROM) > > =A0 =A0Nice to have: > =A0 =A0 =A0 UART > =A0 =A0 =A0 Integrated Oscillator > =A0 =A0 =A0 Very low power sleep mode > =A0 =A0 =A0 Small package > > =A0 =A0Not needed: > =A0 =A0 =A0 High-speed USB > =A0 =A0 =A0 Fast CPU > > If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. > > =A0 =A0-Bob
there exist china made usb flash micros with 1.0 usd cost, but they arent easy to get 1.84 is already not so bad i did recall c8051f326 pricing 2.36 usd but digikey list a bit more so you maybe cant get at 2.30 they are nice as they have onchip oscillator and run FS not LS like the cypress cheap things i also considered myself once the USB82 ,but eh the last penny is not always worth saving also if you need add crystal :( so if you can use LS use the sub 2 usd cypress LS chip Antti
Reply by rickman July 22, 20082008-07-22
Your need for EEPROM narrows the field considerably.  Flash is nearly
universal in MCUs, but EEPROM is much less common.  Is this actually
required?  Can it be added externally?  I expect it is a cost issue,
but you need to compare MCU with EEPROM cost vs. MCU + EEPROM cost.
You may be able to do better using a separate EEPROM.

Rick

On Jul 22, 2:32 am, Bob <bob36...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know the lowest cost microcontroller with a USB interface? > > I have done some Googling, and it seems there are quite a few USB > microcontrollers based on either ARM or 8051. Either is okay, but > they are not very cheap. They are all over $3 @ qty 1000. > > The cheapest I have found so far is the Atmel AT90USB82, which is > an AVR. It is just under $2 @ qty 1000. > > Here is what I need: > > Essential: > USB (low or full speed) > Cheap > 10 I/O (8 outputs, 2 inputs) > >= 1k program memory > >= 256 bytes non-volatile data (eg EEPROM) > > Nice to have: > UART > Integrated Oscillator > Very low power sleep mode > Small package > > Not needed: > High-speed USB > Fast CPU > > If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. > > -Bob
Reply by Walter Banks July 22, 20082008-07-22

Bob wrote:

> Does anyone know the lowest cost microcontroller with a USB interface? > > Here is what I need: > > Essential: > USB (low or full speed) > Cheap > 10 I/O (8 outputs, 2 inputs) > >= 1k program memory > >= 256 bytes non-volatile data (eg EEPROM) > > Nice to have: > UART > Integrated Oscillator > Very low power sleep mode > Small package > > Not needed: > High-speed USB > Fast CPU > > If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. > > -Bob
Depending on quantity Cypress M8A and M8B parts used in mice and keyboards. reasonable 8 Bit processor and good reference designs. I am biased we wrote the C compiler for the two parts families. Regards, -- Walter Banks Byte Craft Limited http://www.bytecraft.com walter@bytecraft.com Canada
Reply by Frank Buss July 22, 20082008-07-22
Bob wrote:

> Does anyone know the lowest cost microcontroller with a USB interface? > > I have done some Googling, and it seems there are quite a few USB > microcontrollers based on either ARM or 8051. Either is okay, but > they are not very cheap. They are all over $3 @ qty 1000. > > The cheapest I have found so far is the Atmel AT90USB82, which is > an AVR. It is just under $2 @ qty 1000. > > Here is what I need: > > Essential: > USB (low or full speed) > Cheap > 10 I/O (8 outputs, 2 inputs) > >= 1k program memory > >= 256 bytes non-volatile data (eg EEPROM)
You could take a look at your computer mouse. My Dell mouse has a CY7C63813, which you can get for $1.84 for 410 units: http://www.componentsuperstore.com/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductIdentifier=CY7C63813SXCCYPRESS3700911 It doesn't have EEPROM, but you can re-program flash blocks from the firmware. USB is low speed, only. It has 8k flash and 256 bytes RAM. -- Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de http://www.frank-buss.de, http://www.it4-systems.de
Reply by Bob July 22, 20082008-07-22