Re: USB for D60A?

Started by James M. Knox July 16, 2003
Oliver, Andrei

>adding an extra microcontroller (e.g. the HC908JB8 as used in the
>reference design, see also http://hc08web.de/usb08/) is good if you also
>want to be able to do "funny" things, such as data processing etc etc
>
>If the bandwidth of the Low-Speed-USB device class is not enough (one can
>compare it with a 9600 Baud SCI link), I suggest using a serial/USB
>converter like the FTDI chip.

That FTDI looks very promising. The parts count all total may be about the
same for both solutions, or maybe even higher for the FTDI - OTOH, the FTDI
solution gets us around an additional software item.

Data rates at the moment are not high. Something like 19.2kb is
fine. However, our D60A is running it's heart out in certain modes and we
could not add a lot of software to it to emulate the USB interface, hence
the idea of a coprocessor.

One thing I could not find. I got zero hits on the FTDI FT232BM or older
FT8U232AM when I ran it through my pricing software. Nor did I find
pricing info on the FTDI site. Got any idea about small qty pricing? [And
availability?]

jmk
-----------
James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
-----------




In HSC12-fammily controllers XIRQ interrupt occurs then XIRQ pin is active low. Is any way to detected XIRQ interrupt by falling/rising edges on dedicated pin?




A customer wants us to replace the serial port on our D60A-based product
with USB. It looks to me like maybe the simplest solution will be to add
the Motorola RD68HC908USB chip to the board, and just have the D60A and the
908 talk over the SPI or some such.

Has anyone used this method, or have a better suggestion?

tnx, jmk

-----------
James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
-----------



Hi jmk,

adding an extra microcontroller (e.g. the HC908JB8 as used in the
reference design, see also http://hc08web.de/usb08/) is good if you also
want to be able to do "funny" things, such as data processing etc etc

If the bandwidth of the Low-Speed-USB device class is not enough (one can
compare it with a 9600 Baud SCI link), I suggest using a serial/USB
converter like the FTDI chip. A reference implementation can be found in
the HCS12 ACP reference design, see http://hc12web.de/acprd/

Happy USBing!
Oliver On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:28:55 -0500
"James M. Knox" <> wrote:

>
> A customer wants us to replace the serial port on our D60A-based product
> with USB. It looks to me like maybe the simplest solution will be to add
> the Motorola RD68HC908USB chip to the board, and just have the D60A and the
> 908 talk over the SPI or some such.
>
> Has anyone used this method, or have a better suggestion?
>
> tnx, jmk
>
> -----------
> James M. Knox
> TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
> 1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
> Austin, Tx 78721
> -----------
-----------------------
*** The USB08 Project Page *** http://hc08web.de/usb08/ ***
-----------------------



At 11:28 AM 7/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>A customer wants us to replace the serial port on our D60A-based product
>with USB. It looks to me like maybe the simplest solution will be to add
>the Motorola RD68HC908USB chip to the board, and just have the D60A and the
>908 talk over the SPI or some such.
>
>Has anyone used this method, or have a better suggestion?
>
> tnx, jmk

How about something like the FTDI FT8U232AM chip? It has USB on one side
and RS232 (RX/TX/RTS/CTS/DTR/DSR/DCD/RI) on the other side.

See www.ftdichip.com for more info.

Andrei >-----------
>James M. Knox
>TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
>1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
>Austin, Tx 78721
>----------- >
>-------------------- >
>">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/




www.saelig.com for the USA
www.kotrade.ca for Canada (hooray!!)

check http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDisti.htm for the rest of the world (you
are going to have to look it up yourself until you start buying our beef
again ;-)

Andrei

At 01:00 PM 7/16/2003 +0700, you wrote:
>Oliver, Andrei
>
> >adding an extra microcontroller (e.g. the HC908JB8 as used in the
> >reference design, see also http://hc08web.de/usb08/) is good if you also
> >want to be able to do "funny" things, such as data processing etc etc
> >
> >If the bandwidth of the Low-Speed-USB device class is not enough (one can
> >compare it with a 9600 Baud SCI link), I suggest using a serial/USB
> >converter like the FTDI chip.
>
>That FTDI looks very promising. The parts count all total may be about the
>same for both solutions, or maybe even higher for the FTDI - OTOH, the FTDI
>solution gets us around an additional software item.
>
>Data rates at the moment are not high. Something like 19.2kb is
>fine. However, our D60A is running it's heart out in certain modes and we
>could not add a lot of software to it to emulate the USB interface, hence
>the idea of a coprocessor.
>
>One thing I could not find. I got zero hits on the FTDI FT232BM or older
>FT8U232AM when I ran it through my pricing software. Nor did I find
>pricing info on the FTDI site. Got any idea about small qty pricing? [And
>availability?]
>
> jmk >
>-----------
>James M. Knox
>TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
>1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
>Austin, Tx 78721
>----------- >
>-------------------- >
>">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/




James,

Saelig Company (www.saelig.com) lists the FT232BM for $5.75 qty 1 and
about half that in quantity. They say they ship small quantities from
stock. Large quantities may have a 10 week lead time.

Stephen

--
Stephen Trier
Technical Development Lab
Cleveland FES Center / CWRU
/ KG8IH


In a message dated 7/16/03 12:30:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:
have a better suggestion? Just charge him $25 more and include a USB to serial adapter cable. If he
doesnt want to buy it, no prob



hi bob:

i've never been able to get a usb to rs-232 adaptor to work properly. can
you recommend one that actually works? i've tried about 4 different ones
with little (if any) luck.

regards,
ed
----- Original Message -----
From: <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: [68HC12] USB for D60A? > In a message dated 7/16/03 12:30:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> writes:
> have a better suggestion? > Just charge him $25 more and include a USB to serial adapter cable. If he
> doesnt want to buy it, no prob >
> -------------------- >
> ">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/



At 04:38 PM 7/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Just charge him $25 more and include a USB to serial adapter cable. If he
>doesnt want to buy it, no prob

We've had a lot of problem with those. Our output (Maxim IC) conforms to
the RS-232 spec and we have never had it fail to work fine with a desktop
computer. But a lot of laptops with the USB-serial adapters exhibit
problems - especially software related problems.

Besides, we get paid to develop things. Customer wants to pay for USB...
Customer *gets* USB. <G>

jmk -----------
James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
-----------