WOW! Fast Pgm

Started by Stewart Prince September 7, 2003
We're using the D60A and just tried the AUTO programming method for the
EEPROM. Our previous delay was 10 ms and now it's about 1 ms. That's a
90% time savings per programming pulse!

Stewart Prince
Professor, Mech Eng
CSUN



Stewart Prince wrote:

> We're using the D60A and just tried the AUTO programming method for the
> EEPROM. Our previous delay was 10 ms and now it's about 1 ms. That's a
> 90% time savings per programming pulse!

I measured <300us programming time and 500us erasing time. But you
shouldn't rely on this - I was told that the erasing/programming time
can be much longer when the EEPROM cell has been programmed very
often.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen


Oliver,

The D60A spec states 500 uS max programming time and 10 mS max erase
time with the AUTO bit set.

Regards,
Gordon

Oliver Betz wrote:

>Stewart Prince wrote: >>We're using the D60A and just tried the AUTO programming method for the
>>EEPROM. Our previous delay was 10 ms and now it's about 1 ms. That's a
>>90% time savings per programming pulse!
>>
>
>I measured <300us programming time and 500us erasing time. But you
>shouldn't rely on this - I was told that the erasing/programming time
>can be much longer when the EEPROM cell has been programmed very
>often.
>
>Oliver
>

--
===============================================================
Gordon Doughman Ph: 937-438-6811
Motorola Semiconductor Fax: 937-434-7457
Field Applications Engineer Pager: 800-759-8352 Pin: 1304089
Suite 175
3131 Newmark Drive
Miamisburg, OH 45342

Check out my HC12 book at:
http://www.rtcbooks.com/programming.php




Gordon Doughman wrote:

> The D60A spec states 500 uS max programming time and 10 mS max erase
> time with the AUTO bit set.

I know. Since the _measured_ erase time of a new D60A is 20 times
shorter, I wondered whether this is a wrong spec and made a "service
request". Motorola told me "As the part ages you will need a longer
time to erase or program the eeprom. If the time required does need
to be 10 ms you are probably looking at a device with a very tired
eeprom."

Well, I assume that 10ms is a *very* conservative spec, but one has
to respect it for a safe design.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen


Oliver
I just measured the time to program, not to erase. However, if the
program time was 10ms and the erase time was 10ms without the AUTO bit,
the worst case scenario would be 10ms erase and .5ms program which is
close to a 50% time reduction. Still a huge time savings and well worth it.

BTW, I don't understand why the EEPROM is byte eraseable and the FLASH
is not.

Stewart Prince
Professor, Mech Eng
CSUN Oliver Betz wrote:

>Gordon Doughman wrote: >
>>The D60A spec states 500 uS max programming time and 10 mS max erase
>>time with the AUTO bit set.
>>
>>
>
>I know. Since the _measured_ erase time of a new D60A is 20 times
>shorter, I wondered whether this is a wrong spec and made a "service
>request". Motorola told me "As the part ages you will need a longer
>time to erase or program the eeprom. If the time required does need
>to be 10 ms you are probably looking at a device with a very tired
>eeprom."
>
>Well, I assume that 10ms is a *very* conservative spec, but one has
>to respect it for a safe design.
>
>Oliver