Forums

Linux compilation for AT91SAM9263

Started by suse auto November 6, 2009
Hi,

I am trying to compile and install the linux kernel on my new AT91SAM9263
board. I have downloaded the linux kernel linux-2.6.27.38.tar.bz2 from
www.kernel.org. I have also patched my ARM patches to this kernel. the
patches are "2.6.27-at91.patch.gz" and "2.6.27-at91-exp.3.patch.gz". These
patches are available from
http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/LinuxKernel.
Now that after configuring the .config file as per the commands specified in
the above link, i am getting lot of compilation error.

Has anyone already tried building the linux kernel for the AT91 board? do
you think any general mistake which I might have done?
I am mainly getting the problems with missing header files. Missing include
paths in the make file. I am resolving one by one.
The major road block that i am facing now is the __pa() function used
pgtable.h. I am not finding the macro/definition for __pa () function for
AT91 system. Can any one help?

-Thanks.
Harish.
I am running linux on AT91SAM9263 on a Cogent Computers CSB737 board. Works
great. How can I help?

Jerry

From: A... [mailto:A...] On Behalf Of
suse auto
Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 8:42 AM
To: A...
Subject: [AT91SAM] Linux compilation for AT91SAM9263

Hi,

I am trying to compile and install the linux kernel on my new AT91SAM9263
board. I have downloaded the linux kernel linux-2.6.27.38.tar.bz2 from
www.kernel.org . I have also patched my ARM patches
to this kernel. the patches are "2.6.27-at91.patch.gz" and
"2.6.27-at91-exp.3.patch.gz". These patches are available from
http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/LinuxKernel.

Now that after configuring the .config file as per the commands specified in
the above link, i am getting lot of compilation error.

Has anyone already tried building the linux kernel for the AT91 board? do
you think any general mistake which I might have done?

I am mainly getting the problems with missing header files. Missing include
paths in the make file. I am resolving one by one.

The major road block that i am facing now is the __pa() function used
pgtable.h. I am not finding the macro/definition for __pa () function for
AT91 system. Can any one help?

-Thanks.

Harish.
Jerry,

Did you face the compilation problem?
Did you modify anything specific in makefile / header file?
I am keeping the kernel source file in the /home/ssn/kernel/ folder and the
cross compiler is installed to /root/Codesourcery/... folder. Does this
matter in any way?

Regards,
Harish.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Jerry West wrote:

> I am running linux on AT91SAM9263 on a Cogent Computers CSB737 board.
> Works great. How can I help?
>
> Jerry
>
> *From:* A... [mailto:A...] *On
> Behalf Of *suse auto
> *Sent:* Friday, November 06, 2009 8:42 AM
> *To:* A...
> *Subject:* [AT91SAM] Linux compilation for AT91SAM9263
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to compile and install the linux kernel on my new AT91SAM9263
> board. I have downloaded the linux kernel linux-2.6.27.38.tar.bz2 from
> www.kernel.org. I have also patched my ARM patches to this kernel. the
> patches are "2.6.27-at91.patch.gz" and "2.6.27-at91-exp.3.patch.gz". These
> patches are available from
> http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/LinuxKernel.
>
> Now that after configuring the .config file as per the commands specified
> in the above link, i am getting lot of compilation error.
>
> Has anyone already tried building the linux kernel for the AT91 board? do
> you think any general mistake which I might have done?
>
> I am mainly getting the problems with missing header files. Missing include
> paths in the make file. I am resolving one by one.
>
> The major road block that i am facing now is the __pa() function used
> pgtable.h. I am not finding the macro/definition for __pa () function for
> AT91 system. Can any one help?
>
> -Thanks.
>
> Harish.
>
>
>
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 20:11:48 +0530
suse auto wrote:
> I am trying to compile and install the linux kernel on my new
> AT91SAM9263 board.

I've used the "buildroot" system to build a complete system including
kernel for the AT91SAM9261-EK board many times, no problems, and I've
no doubt that it'd work for the 263 as well.

I think you'd have to include the "make" command you're using, and some
of the compilation errors so that we can figure out what's wrong.

Dan
Dan,

Good to know that you tried different method 'buildroot' to compile the
kernel for your 261 board. can you send across any web link that explains
these methods to compile.

I am using the makefile present under linux kernel 2.6.27.38. the following
commands are used:
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.27.38.tar.bz2
---------------------------
tar xvjf linux-2.6.27.38.tar.bz2
cd linux-2.6.27.38
download the AT91 Maintainer's patch and apply it
---------------------------
zcat 2.6.27.38-at91.patch.gz | patch -p1

take the experimental patchset and apply it on top of the AT91 one
---------------------------
wget ftp://www.linux4sam.org/pub/linux/2.6.27.38-at91-exp.patch.gz
wget
ftp://www.linux4sam.org/pub/linux/2.6.27.38.at91.y/2.6.27.38.at91.y-exp.patch.gz
zcat linux-2.6.27.38-at91-exp.diff.gz | patch -p1
wget
http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/pub/Linux4SAM/LinuxKernel/at91sam9263ek_defconfig
cd linux-2.6.27.38
cp at91sam9263ek_defconfig .config
make ARCH=arm oldconfig
make ARCH=arm menuconfig
And build the Linux kernel image
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/root/Codesourcery/arm/bin/

during the make process I am facing compilation error such as 'header' file
missing/not found. Few of such problems I could resolve by adding the
include path in the makefile. But the error seems to be never ending types.
I started doubting on the method followed for the compialtion. If you had
compiled without much of issues (with minor make file changes are okay) i
would prepfer to the follow the same stratgey.
regards,
Harish.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 1:08 AM, Dan Lyke wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 20:11:48 +0530
> suse auto > wrote:
> > I am trying to compile and install the linux kernel on my new
> > AT91SAM9263 board.
>
> I've used the "buildroot" system to build a complete system including
> kernel for the AT91SAM9261-EK board many times, no problems, and I've
> no doubt that it'd work for the 263 as well.
>
> I think you'd have to include the "make" command you're using, and some
> of the compilation errors so that we can figure out what's wrong.
>
> Dan
>
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 12:16:26 +0530
suse auto wrote:
> Good to know that you tried different method 'buildroot' to compile
> the kernel for your 261 board. can you send across any web link that
> explains these methods to compile.

Buildroot is a set of Makefiles that you configure, and then it goes
and downloads source trees, and then builds the cross compilers, the
kernel, creates a boot environment and a root filesystem, and compiles
packages you select to put in that root filesystem.

http://buildroot.uclibc.org/buildroot.html

It only runs under Unix systems (ie: doesn't work on Cygwin on
Windows), and it has its quirks, but it does work.

You should be able to use the current source control mechanism to get
the base files, do a

make at91sam9263ek_defconfig
make menuconfig
make

and end up with everything you need.

I haven't used the CodeSourcery cross-compile environment, but if
you're missing header files, it's probably that that environment needs
to be told things about its include path that you haven't yet.

Dan
hai friend
i am karthik,
now i am develop one linux based module that basic
what is the step?

reply

kaarthiik.s

To: A...
From: d...@flutterby.com
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 14:55:59 -0800
Subject: Re: [AT91SAM] Linux compilation for AT91SAM9263

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 12:16:26 +0530

suse auto wrote:

> Good to know that you tried different method 'buildroot' to compile

> the kernel for your 261 board. can you send across any web link that

> explains these methods to compile.

Buildroot is a set of Makefiles that you configure, and then it goes

and downloads source trees, and then builds the cross compilers, the

kernel, creates a boot environment and a root filesystem, and compiles

packages you select to put in that root filesystem.

http://buildroot.uclibc.org/buildroot.html

It only runs under Unix systems (ie: doesn't work on Cygwin on

Windows), and it has its quirks, but it does work.

You should be able to use the current source control mechanism to get

the base files, do a

make at91sam9263ek_defconfig

make menuconfig

make

and end up with everything you need.

I haven't used the CodeSourcery cross-compile environment, but if

you're missing header files, it's probably that that environment needs

to be told things about its include path that you haven't yet.

Dan
Hi Dan!
I recently signed up for the AT91SAM Yahoo list after a recent debacle
in my company. When I saw your note on the list I immediately wondered
if you might be (or know someone who is) available to help finish a
project that plans to include a AT91SAM9261 running Linux.

We had a young fellow working for us for the better part of two years
who had done quite a bit of code-writing, and seemed really
sharp...then he decided to just up and disappear. Now we have a
project that's 90% complete, has a couple hundred thousand dollars
invested in it (about half went to our coder!) and no complete code to
run. Our prototype board remains only half-tested.

I'm an audio and hardware guy, (I designed the project and laid out
the four-layer prototype board) and my business partner is even less
code-worthy than me, so we're scrambling.

If you're interested, or know someone who is, or would even be willing
to just give me pointers on how to run all the files our guy left
behind , please let us know.

Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards,
David
David P. Reaves, III
TransLanTech Sound, LLC
Home of the Award-winning "Ariane Sequel" Digital Audio Leveler

On Fri Nov 6, 2009 11:39 am ((PST)) "Dan Lyke" wrote:
>
> I've used the "buildroot" system to build a complete system including
> kernel for the AT91SAM9261-EK board many times, no problems
>
> Dan