Developement Tools..

Started by strong_arm7s June 13, 2005
Hello,
We are about to decide on which development tools to use.
GreenHills, IAR or ARM RealView.
I have tried IAR on the AT91SAM7S-EK and it even with their patches of
last week I still sometimes have interrupts not working correctly with
the debugger. Oher than that I really don't have any complaints.
We were given a demo of the GHS and it looks like it works and they
are sending me a demo packgage this week to try it myself.
ARM is also going to send a demo package this week.
If price were not the issue, and functionality, was what would some of
you recommend and why?
Thanks for the input.
Andrew


I've been very pleased with Rowley's CrossWorks for ARM
<http://www.rowley.co.uk/> especially when debugging flash
based code.

Regards
-Bill Knight
R O SoftWare &
http://www.theARMPatch.com On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:54:34 -0000, strong_arm7s wrote:

>Hello,
>We are about to decide on which development tools to use.
>GreenHills, IAR or ARM RealView.
>I have tried IAR on the AT91SAM7S-EK and it even with their patches of
>last week I still sometimes have interrupts not working correctly with
>the debugger. Oher than that I really don't have any complaints.
>We were given a demo of the GHS and it looks like it works and they
>are sending me a demo packgage this week to try it myself.
>ARM is also going to send a demo package this week.
>If price were not the issue, and functionality, was what would some of
>you recommend and why?
>Thanks for the input.
>Andrew




Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure if I want to ask this, but have you had a go with
CrossWorks for ARM?

www.rowley.co.uk/arm

Regards
Michael

> Hello,
> We are about to decide on which development tools to use.
> GreenHills, IAR or ARM RealView.
> I have tried IAR on the AT91SAM7S-EK and it even with their patches of
> last week I still sometimes have interrupts not working correctly with
> the debugger. Oher than that I really don't have any complaints.
> We were given a demo of the GHS and it looks like it works and they
> are sending me a demo packgage this week to try it myself.
> ARM is also going to send a demo package this week.
> If price were not the issue, and functionality, was what would some of
> you recommend and why?
> Thanks for the input.
> Andrew >
>
> *>.




Hi Andrew,
 
I've been using CrossWorks on MSP430, AVR and ARM,
and I reckon you should definitely have a try for SAM7.
Setting up a project is really 1-2-3.
 
Also, all the interrupt misery you have is non-existent with CW AFAIK.
I've done complex enough projects by now on SAM7 to know that
interrupts work a charm on that.
 
> > If price were not the issue, and functionality, was what would some of
> > you recommend and why?
As above, if you had in mind to port some stuff around to MSP430 and/or
AVR, it'd be a breeze. That's a plus too, I find.
 
It's also noteworthy that CrossWorks comes with its own free RTOS, called CTL.
Works great and is source compatible across the above MCUs !!
 
If you D/L an eval, you'll be running on SAM7 trouble free within 10 mins with some
of the samples bundled in CWARM.
 
B rgds
Kris
 


What's out there for debugging with GDB and Insight? I hear there's some
support for the Wiggler, but it sounds like it's slow and unreliable.

Has anyone used one of these? Looks like it might be useful:
http://www.testech-elect.com/abatron/bdigdb.htm

I'm currently using a USB J-Link - it's apparently got a TCP/IP interface,
and I'm thinking it might be possible to write an interface for GDB to talk
to it, if that hasn't been done already. That's still require a Windows box
to host the J-Link, but it's better than nothing. Or is there any other way
to use the J-Link under Linux?

Scott

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Knight" <BillK@Bill...>
To: <AT91SAM7@AT91...>
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: [AT91SAM7] Developement Tools.. > I've been very pleased with Rowley's CrossWorks for ARM
> <http://www.rowley.co.uk/> especially when debugging flash
> based code.
>
> Regards
> -Bill Knight
> R O SoftWare &
> http://www.theARMPatch.com > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:54:34 -0000, strong_arm7s wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>We are about to decide on which development tools to use.
>>GreenHills, IAR or ARM RealView.
>>I have tried IAR on the AT91SAM7S-EK and it even with their patches of
>>last week I still sometimes have interrupts not working correctly with
>>the debugger. Oher than that I really don't have any complaints.
>>We were given a demo of the GHS and it looks like it works and they
>>are sending me a demo packgage this week to try it myself.
>>ARM is also going to send a demo package this week.
>>If price were not the issue, and functionality, was what would some of
>>you recommend and why?
>>Thanks for the input.
>>Andrew >
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links >
>




I use a bdi2000 - which is what you URL to below - which is the Rolls
Royce of USB debuggers (at US$2400). I have used one for 2 years now.
This works as a TCP/IP remote target. 2400 might put it outside the
hobby category, but if time is money, then it is definitely worth
considering one of these.

You can use the JLINK in a similar way using the jlink remote server (go
look over at gnuarm). I have found this relatively unreliable (even with
the IAR toolchain).

Apart from being slower, the Wiggler seems to give reasonable results
from what I hear. I know of many people using only Wiggler.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: AT91SAM7@AT91...
> [mailto:AT91SAM7@AT91...] On Behalf Of Scott Miller
> Sent: Tuesday, 14 June 2005 6:22 a.m.
> To: AT91SAM7@AT91...
> Subject: Re: [AT91SAM7] Developement Tools.. > What's out there for debugging with GDB and Insight? I hear
> there's some
> support for the Wiggler, but it sounds like it's slow and unreliable.
>
> Has anyone used one of these? Looks like it might be useful:
> http://www.testech-elect.com/abatron/bdigdb.htm
>
> I'm currently using a USB J-Link - it's apparently got a
> TCP/IP interface,
> and I'm thinking it might be possible to write an interface
> for GDB to talk
> to it, if that hasn't been done already. That's still
> require a Windows box
> to host the J-Link, but it's better than nothing. Or is
> there any other way
> to use the J-Link under Linux?
>
> Scott
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Bill Knight" <BillK@Bill...>
> To: <AT91SAM7@AT91...>
> Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 9:23 AM
> Subject: Re: [AT91SAM7] Developement Tools.. > > I've been very pleased with Rowley's CrossWorks for ARM
> > <http://www.rowley.co.uk/> especially when debugging flash
> based code.
> >
> > Regards
> > -Bill Knight
> > R O SoftWare &
> > http://www.theARMPatch.com
> >
> >
> > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:54:34 -0000, strong_arm7s wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>We are about to decide on which development tools to use.
> GreenHills,
> >>IAR or ARM RealView. I have tried IAR on the AT91SAM7S-EK
> and it even
> >>with their patches of last week I still sometimes have
> interrupts not
> >>working correctly with the debugger. Oher than that I really don't
> >>have any complaints. We were given a demo of the GHS and it
> looks like
> >>it works and they are sending me a demo packgage this week
> to try it
> >>myself. ARM is also going to send a demo package this week.
> >>If price were not the issue, and functionality, was what
> would some of
> >>you recommend and why?
> >>Thanks for the input.
> >>Andrew
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links >
>