Forums

unable to login to buildroot

Started by Ravi Kumar Kulkarni March 25, 2010
Hi all,
i built a jffs2 filesystem by using make at91sam9261ek_config for buildroot.2010.02 . everything went fine
but im unable to login on to my target board :(

when i type root and press enter
it is redirecting me back to the login

and when i press any other name , it asks for password but again come back to login when i press enter

"Welcome to Buildroot

buildroot login: root
Welcome to Buildroot

buildroot login: ravi
Password:
Welcome to Buildroot

buildroot login: "
below is my /etc/inittab file any idea what might be wrong?

# /etc/inittab
#
# Copyright (C) 2001 Erik Andersen
#
# Note: BusyBox init doesn't support runlevels. The runlevels field is
# completely ignored by BusyBox init. If you want runlevels, use
# sysvinit.
#
# Format for each entry: :::
#
# id == tty to run on, or empty for /dev/console
# runlevels == ignored
# action == one of sysinit, respawn, askfirst, wait, and once
# process == program to run

# Startup the system
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -a
null::sysinit:/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
null::sysinit:/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
null::sysinit:/sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
# now run any rc scripts
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

# Set up a couple of getty's
#tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
#tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2

# Put a getty on the serial port
ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100
# Logging junk
null::sysinit:/bin/touch /var/log/messages
null::respawn:/sbin/syslogd -n -m 0
null::respawn:/sbin/klogd -n
tty3::respawn:/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages

# Stuff to do for the 3-finger salute
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

# Stuff to do before rebooting
null::shutdown:/usr/bin/killall klogd
null::shutdown:/usr/bin/killall syslogd
null::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
null::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a

any idea what is wrong ? how to debug this ?thanks
warm regards,
Ravi Kulkarni.

Your Mail works best with the New Yahoo Optimized IE8. Get it NOW! http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/internetexplorer/
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 23:36:28 +0530 (IST)
Ravi Kumar Kulkarni wrote:
> when i type root and press enter
> it is redirecting me back to the login

Off the top of my head, I'd check to see if you've got a /etc/passwd
file (the obvious), and start tracing the path forward to see if login
can find a shell, if you've got a home directory for root, and if there
are any . files in root's home dir that might be causing problems.

Dan

--- On Thu, 25/3/10, Dan Lyke wrote:

From: Dan Lyke
Subject: Re: [AT91SAM] unable to login to buildroot
To: A...
Date: Thursday, 25 March, 2010, 11:51 AM








On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 23:36:28 +0530 (IST)

Ravi Kumar Kulkarni wrote:

>> when i type root and press enter

>> it is redirecting me back to the login

>Off the top of my head, I'd check to see if you've got a /etc/passwd

>file (the obvious), and start tracing the path forward to see if login

>can find a shell, if you've got a home directory for root, and if there

>are any . files in root's home dir that might be causing problems.

i checked the /etc/passwd file and it looks like below

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
daemon:x:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/sh
bin:x:2:2:bin:/bin:/bin/sh
sys:x:3:3:sys:/dev:/bin/sh
sync:x:4:100:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
mail:x:8:8:mail:/var/spool/mail:/bin/sh
proxy:x:13:13:proxy:/bin:/bin/sh
www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/bin/sh
backup:x:34:34:backup:/var/backups:/bin/sh
operator:x:37:37:Operator:/var:/bin/sh
haldaemon:x:68:68:hald:/:/bin/sh
dbus:x:81:81:dbus:/var/run/dbus:/bin/sh
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
sshd:x:103:99:Operator:/var:/bin/sh
default:x:1000:1000:Default non-root user:/home/default:/bin/sh
the shell is present in /bin/ but i dono why the ttyS0 is unable to find it. and i check the /home directory there is a folder named default in it. do i av to create a symbolic link to tat from /bin/sh or anything u can suggest?

warm regards,
Ravi Kulkarni

Your Mail works best with the New Yahoo Optimized IE8. Get it NOW! http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/internetexplorer/
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:18:59 +0530 (IST)
Ravi Kumar Kulkarni wrote:
> i checked the /etc/passwd file and it looks like below
>
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh

Okay, this is probably a red herring, but the ":x:" in that second
field says it's going to /etc/shadow for the password for root. Make
sure that second field in /etc/shadow is blank, as in:

root::10933:0:99999:7:::

and *not*:

root:*:10933:0:99999:7:::

or with some other string of characters instead of that "*".

> the shell is present in /bin/ but i dono why the ttyS0 is unable to
> find it. and i check the /home directory there is a folder named
> default in it. do i av to create a symbolic link to tat from /bin/sh
> or anything u can suggest?

You have a "/root" directory in your target directory
(buildroot/project_build_arm/at91sam*ek/root/root, note the
doubling of "root"?) ? I've had buildroot do a lot of nasty things to
me, but never this.

My first response to something like this was to move that buildroot
directory aside, do another get, copy the config files over and
rebuild. If you've already done that, I guess it's a matter of tracking
why busybox's getty isn't letting you get further. Is there an option
in the busybox build to log more stuff to ttyS0?

Dan
Hi Dan,

> Okay, this is probably a red herring, but the ":x:" in that second
> field says it's going to /etc/shadow for the password for root. Make
> sure that second field in /etc/shadow is blank, as in:

Indeedelydoo, never really got to the bottom of the * field here.
This is mainly because of the migration path from 2.6.23 upwards, but
since quite some time
being around 2.6.30/31. (iow not bothering anymore 2.6.28 onwards :-)

The issue that threw me out for nearly 2 days was just exactly that
herring (as well, for me)!
I spent quite some time tracing, and when the 2nd field is -not- empty,
the code then goes off
to dive into the crypt stuff for passwords. (in password.c or recursive
lower, off the cuff)
But before it did that (IIRC somewhere *just before* the lower calls,
after fetching the "plain text" entered
as a potential password, it would check whether the first character of
plain entered is "*" or "?".
If it is, it just conks out and rejects the password whatever the rest of
the pwd is, even it were correct (after crypt)...

That wasn't doc'd anywhere I could find - and even weirder, it has been
coming and going in subsequent revs.
Anyhoo, since quite some time, I just use blank pw anyway in my target
skeleton rootfs so the heck with it.

-- However, I'm fairly sure that I recall I would be presented with the
login - default root, which would be sucessful,
the password entry after prompt would always fail. !!!!
Thus, I'm not sure whether that's a factor in Ravi's issue.

I hope that might help too.. ? :-)

PS : It sounds that Ravi's issue there is more getty or even config in the
kernel somewhere related (wrt specific serial port assignment).
But I'm not in a hurry for people that use that "kint of tpng 2B dne wth
it".
It irritates me, but I've put in my 2 bob's anyway !

Best,
Kris
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:51:27 -0700, Dan Lyke
wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:18:59 +0530 (IST)
> Ravi Kumar Kulkarni wrote:
>> i checked the /etc/passwd file and it looks like below
>>
>> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
>
> Okay, this is probably a red herring, but the ":x:" in that second
> field says it's going to /etc/shadow for the password for root. Make
> sure that second field in /etc/shadow is blank, as in:
>
> root::10933:0:99999:7:::
>
> and *not*:
>
> root:*:10933:0:99999:7:::
>
> or with some other string of characters instead of that "*".
>
>> the shell is present in /bin/ but i dono why the ttyS0 is unable to
>> find it. and i check the /home directory there is a folder named
>> default in it. do i av to create a symbolic link to tat from /bin/sh
>> or anything u can suggest?
>
> You have a "/root" directory in your target directory
> (buildroot/project_build_arm/at91sam*ek/root/root, note the
> doubling of "root"?) ? I've had buildroot do a lot of nasty things to
> me, but never this.
>
> My first response to something like this was to move that buildroot
> directory aside, do another get, copy the config files over and
> rebuild. If you've already done that, I guess it's a matter of tracking
> why busybox's getty isn't letting you get further. Is there an option
> in the busybox build to log more stuff to ttyS0?
>
> Dan

Hi Kris and Dan,

> Indeedelydoo, never really got to the bottom of the * field here.
> This is mainly because of the migration path from 2.6.23 upwards, but
> since quite some time
> being around 2.6.30/31. (iow not bothering anymore 2.6.28 onwards :-)
>
> The issue that threw me out for nearly 2 days was just exactly that
> herring (as well, for me)!
> I spent quite some time tracing, and when the 2nd field is -not- empty,
> the code then goes off
> to dive into the crypt stuff for passwords. (in password.c or recursive
> lower, off the cuff)
> But before it did that (IIRC somewhere *just before* the lower calls,
> after fetching the "plain text" entered
> as a potential password, it would check whether the first character of
> plain entered is "*" or "?".
> If it is, it just conks out and rejects the password whatever the rest of
> the pwd is, even it were correct (after crypt)...
>
> That wasn't doc'd anywhere I could find - and even weirder, it has been
> coming and going in subsequent revs.
> Anyhoo, since quite some time, I just use blank pw anyway in my target
> skeleton rootfs so the heck with it.
>
> -- However, I'm fairly sure that I recall I would be presented with the
> login - default root, which would be sucessful,
> the password entry after prompt would always fail. !!!!
> Thus, I'm not sure whether that's a factor in Ravi's issue.
>
> I hope that might help too.. ? :-)
>
> PS : It sounds that Ravi's issue there is more getty or even config in the
> kernel somewhere related (wrt specific serial port assignment).
> But I'm not in a hurry for people that use that "kint of tpng 2B dne wth
> it".
sorry for the late reply since i was busy with some other work last week.
yeah u were right.
after a lil tracing and debugging i finally found tat it was in the kernel config wrt to serial assignment. i then built buildroot separately in another directory and now it works like a charm :).
.life is never easy with getty!!. now i ll try building TinyX and hopefully get some gtk apps on the target board.thanks.
warm regards,
Ravi Kulkarni.

Good to hear Ravi, glad it works now :-)

B rgds
Kris

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:15:04 -0000, "Ravi Kumar"
wrote:
> Hi Kris and Dan,
>
>> Indeedelydoo, never really got to the bottom of the * field here.
>> This is mainly because of the migration path from 2.6.23 upwards, but
>> since quite some time
>> being around 2.6.30/31. (iow not bothering anymore 2.6.28 onwards :-)
>>
>> The issue that threw me out for nearly 2 days was just exactly that
>> herring (as well, for me)!
>> I spent quite some time tracing, and when the 2nd field is -not- empty,
>> the code then goes off
>> to dive into the crypt stuff for passwords. (in password.c or recursive
>> lower, off the cuff)
>> But before it did that (IIRC somewhere *just before* the lower calls,
>> after fetching the "plain text" entered
>> as a potential password, it would check whether the first character of
>> plain entered is "*" or "?".
>> If it is, it just conks out and rejects the password whatever the rest
of
>> the pwd is, even it were correct (after crypt)...
>>
>> That wasn't doc'd anywhere I could find - and even weirder, it has been
>> coming and going in subsequent revs.
>> Anyhoo, since quite some time, I just use blank pw anyway in my target
>> skeleton rootfs so the heck with it.
>>
>> -- However, I'm fairly sure that I recall I would be presented with the
>> login - default root, which would be sucessful,
>> the password entry after prompt would always fail. !!!!
>> Thus, I'm not sure whether that's a factor in Ravi's issue.
>>
>> I hope that might help too.. ? :-)
>>
>> PS : It sounds that Ravi's issue there is more getty or even config in
>> the
>> kernel somewhere related (wrt specific serial port assignment).
>> But I'm not in a hurry for people that use that "kint of tpng 2B dne
wth
>> it".
> sorry for the late reply since i was busy with some other work last
week.
> yeah u were right.
> after a lil tracing and debugging i finally found tat it was in the
kernel
> config wrt to serial assignment. i then built buildroot separately in
> another directory and now it works like a charm :).
> .life is never easy with getty!!. now i ll try building TinyX and
> hopefully get some gtk apps on the target board.thanks.
> warm regards,
> Ravi Kulkarni.
>