Forums

Simple LCD - cheap

Started by Bob Roos March 26, 2004
Can anyone tell me what would be a good serial LCD to use?

I need 2 lines or so for error/status indicators. I don't need
backlighting and I don't want to add much more to the cost of this box.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Bob Roos





See: http://www.phanderson.com

Peter has a number of serial kits (for BX-24, BS2 and PIC's)
and will most probably be able to help you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Roos [mailto:]
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 7:22 AM
To:
Subject: [BasicX] Simple LCD - cheap Can anyone tell me what would be a good serial LCD to use?

I need 2 lines or so for error/status indicators. I don't need
backlighting and I don't want to add much more to the cost of this box.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Bob Roos
Yahoo! Groups Links



--- In , Bob Roos <wybatap@w...> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what would be a good serial LCD to use?

The serial LCDs that I've seen are pretty expensive - $25 or more.
If cost is a primary concern, you're probably better off getting an
inexpensive parallel LCD and adding a few dollars worth of ICs to do
the serial to parallel conversion.

Is this a production application or a one-off project? If the
latter, you can often find workable parallel LCDs at All Electronics,
Electronic Goldmine, Hosfelt Electronics, and similar surplus
outlets. I have purchased several different parallel LCDs and they
all have had the same interface and command set. Even though you
might not be able to get specs on the $2.00 LCD from one of the
surplus outfits, chances are that the information at the link below
will allow you to get it running.

http://home.iae.nl/users/pouweha/lcd/lcd.shtml

I have posted some schematics on my project pages showing one way to
connect a parallel LCD using only a few I/O pins. If you have other
parallel devices already, you may be able to add in a parallel LCD
using no additional pins.




On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 06:26:21 -0000, Don Kinzer <>
wrote:

> --- In , Bob Roos <wybatap@w...> wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me what would be a good serial LCD to use?
>
> The serial LCDs that I've seen are pretty expensive - $25 or more.

That's what I kept finding

> If cost is a primary concern, you're probably better off getting an
> inexpensive parallel LCD and adding a few dollars worth of ICs to do
> the serial to parallel conversion.

I'm game, but have no experience here
>
> Is this a production application or a one-off project? If the
> latter, you can often find workable parallel LCDs at All Electronics,
> Electronic Goldmine, Hosfelt Electronics, and similar surplus
> outlets. I have purchased several different parallel LCDs and they
> all have had the same interface and command set. Even though you
> might not be able to get specs on the $2.00 LCD from one of the
> surplus outfits, chances are that the information at the link below
> will allow you to get it running.

first one is of course 1-of, but if it proves out then there will be more.
>
> http://home.iae.nl/users/pouweha/lcd/lcd.shtml
>
> I have posted some schematics on my project pages showing one way to
> connect a parallel LCD using only a few I/O pins. If you have other
> parallel devices already, you may be able to add in a parallel LCD
> using no additional pins.

no parallel and I need all the pins I can get for my other inputs. Don,
where are your project pages?

Thanks,

Bob Roos




--- In , Bob Roos <wybatap@w...> wrote:
> Don, > where are your project pages?

The Ethernet interface with LCD can be seen at the link below. On
that page there are links to schematics showing how the LCD and the
Ethernet controller chip, both with parallel interfaces, are
connected to the BX-24.

http://www.kinzers.com/don/BX24/Ethernet

Depending on how you are using the other I/O lines, you may be able
to share some or all of them with the LCD.

Another example is the diesel generator controller that I built
several years ago. It uses the Basic Stamp II but the circuitry will
work equally well on a BX-24. A page describing the project can be
found at the link below; it contains links to the schematics as well.

http://www.kinzers.com/don/GenSet

>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Roos