Re:

Started by eser...@ June 1, 2004
Hi Francisco,

What is the voltage required by your device and how well regulated does it need to be?
What is the maximum volume available, HxWxL for the PCB? Is there access to ambient
air cooling by convection for a heatsink? If enclosed, Is there room for a fan?

Eric

----- Original Message -----
From: Francisco Lobo
To:
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 11:41 PM
Subject: [BasicX] Hi all, this is a bit off topic, but i am kind of lost.

I am building a device that will have to take a range of (3.8volts thru
9volts battery), the problem is that i need to be able to use this PCB
with small part count and small footprint, so i know about voltage
regulators that are switching type but this add some caps and some
stuff to the PCB, so i was wandering if you guys know of a solution to
take this range of voltage without the need of a switching regulator, i
will only draw 500mah, so its not much, if someone knows of a good
solution please let me know.

THANKS IN ADVANCED! ------
Yahoo! Groups Links

a.. To



Hi all, this is a bit off topic, but i am kind of lost.

I am building a device that will have to take a range of (3.8volts thru
9volts battery), the problem is that i need to be able to use this PCB
with small part count and small footprint, so i know about voltage
regulators that are switching type but this add some caps and some
stuff to the PCB, so i was wandering if you guys know of a solution to
take this range of voltage without the need of a switching regulator, i
will only draw 500mah, so its not much, if someone knows of a good
solution please let me know.

THANKS IN ADVANCED!



The device will ride in an RC airplane, it is hot, and i need _+5vcc
output (4.8 +/- 5.2 should be fine)

PCB size is an as small as possible basis.



You could use a resistor and a zener. Not elegant but....

C8-)

At 02:41 AM 6/2/2004, you wrote:

>Hi all, this is a bit off topic, but i am kind of lost.
>
>I am building a device that will have to take a range of (3.8volts thru
>9volts battery), the problem is that i need to be able to use this PCB
>with small part count and small footprint, so i know about voltage
>regulators that are switching type but this add some caps and some
>stuff to the PCB, so i was wandering if you guys know of a solution to
>take this range of voltage without the need of a switching regulator, i
>will only draw 500mah, so its not much, if someone knows of a good
>solution please let me know.
>
>THANKS IN ADVANCED! >Yahoo! Groups Links >
>
>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 6.0.692 / Virus Database: 453 - Release Date: 5/28/2004

===========================================================
"We have the power to do any damn fool thing we want to do,
and we seem to do it about every ten minutes."
J. William Fulbright , quoted in Time (New York, Feb. 4, 1952).
===========================================================

---------- ---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.692 / Virus Database: 453 - Release Date: 5/28/2004


I missed the original email on this...

if you need a solution, then please elaborate on what voltage you actually need to power the circuitry on the board. You gave an input voltage range to your board, but no required regulation value.

A zener may not be approriate in this application because of power requirements...

best regards, Steve Thatcher

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Dubinsky <>
Sent: Jun 2, 2004 7:25 AM
To:
Subject: Re: [BasicX]

You could use a resistor and a zener. Not elegant but....

C8-)

At 02:41 AM 6/2/2004, you wrote:

>Hi all, this is a bit off topic, but i am kind of lost.
>
>I am building a device that will have to take a range of (3.8volts thru
>9volts battery), the problem is that i need to be able to use this PCB
>with small part count and small footprint, so i know about voltage
>regulators that are switching type but this add some caps and some
>stuff to the PCB, so i was wandering if you guys know of a solution to
>take this range of voltage without the need of a switching regulator, i
>will only draw 500mah, so its not much, if someone knows of a good
>solution please let me know.
>
>THANKS IN ADVANCED! >Yahoo! Groups Links >
>
>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 6.0.692 / Virus Database: 453 - Release Date: 5/28/2004

===========================================================
"We have the power to do any damn fool thing we want to do,
and we seem to do it about every ten minutes."
J. William Fulbright , quoted in Time (New York, Feb. 4, 1952).
===========================================================

---------- ---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.692 / Virus Database: 453 - Release Date: 5/28/2004 Yahoo! Groups Links



At 07:50 AM 6/2/2004, you wrote:

>I missed the original email on this...
>
>if you need a solution, then please elaborate on what voltage you actually
>need to power the circuitry on the board. You gave an input voltage range
>to your board, but no required regulation value.
>
>A zener may not be approriate in this application because of power
>requirements...

Agreed. As I said, not elegant.

Paul ===========================================================
"We have the power to do any damn fool thing we want to do,
and we seem to do it about every ten minutes."
J. William Fulbright , quoted in Time (New York, Feb. 4, 1952).
===========================================================

---------- ---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.692 / Virus Database: 453 - Release Date: 5/28/2004


Francisco.

You may want to have a look at Cosel DC/DC converters, model ZUS30505
(4.5 to 9V dc input, 5 V dc / 600 mA output). This thing is a block
that measures 35 x 23 x 7 mm and weighs 16g. Maximum temp is 71C.
Do a Google search for Cosel, and you'll find, among many others:
http://www.trcelectronics.com/Cosel/
There are also the pdf datasheets.

Saludos

T-Pax

--- In , Francisco Lobo <francisco@f...> wrote:
> The device will ride in an RC airplane, it is hot, and i need
_+5vcc
> output (4.8 +/- 5.2 should be fine)
>
> PCB size is an as small as possible basis.