Forums

600 Smart Sensors

Started by Jim Bianchin July 15, 2005

Hi All,
I'm a newbie to the BX24 and Senscomp Smart Sensor and I was wondering
if anyone can provide feedback in using the former Polaroid sensors
versus using other ultrasonic transducers in estimating distances?
Based on Netmedia's site, it appears that the Polaroid sensors have been
used extensively but I'd like to hear your feedback before I decide
which sensor to use. I'm using it to image fluid levels, store the data
in the EEPROM then activate a refill pump at defined time and level
increments.
Thanks!

Jim Bianchin


Jim Bianchin wrote:

>
> Hi All,
> I'm a newbie to the BX24 and Senscomp Smart Sensor and I was wondering
> if anyone can provide feedback in using the former Polaroid sensors
> versus using other ultrasonic transducers in estimating distances?
> Based on Netmedia's site, it appears that the Polaroid sensors have been
> used extensively but I'd like to hear your feedback before I decide
> which sensor to use. I'm using it to image fluid levels, store the data
> in the EEPROM then activate a refill pump at defined time and level
> increments.
> Thanks!
>
> Jim Bianchin
>
Here is an article that explains the deficiencies of the
Polaroid/Senscomp sensor and why the Devantech SRF04/08/10 are much more
popular. Of course it is biased but it makes sense to me. A current pull
of 2A for the ultrasonic pulse presents all kinds of problems so I would
definitely recommend one of the Devantech sensors.

I have not used these devices myself, have no affiliation with
Devantech and all the usual other disclaimers.

Mike



Jim, these days I use the Devantech SRF08 sensor. It's fairly cheap
and uses an I2C interface. It does it's own processing so you don't
have to burden the host processor with the low level stuff. You can
also daisy-chain several sensors.

- Tom

--- In basicx@basi..., "Jim Bianchin" <jbianchin@c...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> I'm a newbie to the BX24 and Senscomp Smart Sensor and I was
wondering
> if anyone can provide feedback in using the former Polaroid sensors
> versus using other ultrasonic transducers in estimating distances?
> Based on Netmedia's site, it appears that the Polaroid sensors have
been
> used extensively but I'd like to hear your feedback before I decide
> which sensor to use. I'm using it to image fluid levels, store the
data
> in the EEPROM then activate a refill pump at defined time and level
> increments.
> Thanks!
>
> Jim Bianchin >
>


Tom, Mike,
Thanks for the advice. I'll look more closely at the Devantech sensors.
Jim


Jim, I have a simple BX-24 example on my web site at [SRF08.zip]:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhandley/bx-24/bx-24.html

It includes an example, a dedicated SRF08 module, and a 'Bit-banged'
I2C module which I have used with a variety of I2C devices.

- Tom

--- In basicx@basi..., "Jim Bianchin" <jbianchin@c...> wrote:
> Tom, Mike,
> Thanks for the advice. I'll look more closely at the Devantech
sensors.
> Jim


Tom,
Thanks for the link. One thing I'm curious about is the accuracy of the
SRF08. Daventech's website doesn't present accuracy data. Since I'm
trying to construct an instrument to log fluid levels, I need to know
that statistic. Anyone have any information in that regard?
Jim

Jim Bianchin CEG No. 1644
Senior Geologist
CurryGroup, Inc.
1612 Wedding Way
Redding, CA 96003
530.244.6277
Fax: 530.244.6276
Cell: 530.949.6241

-----Original Message-----
From: basicx@basi... [mailto:basicx@basi...] On Behalf
Of tombhandley
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 3:13 AM
To: basicx@basi...
Subject: [BasicX] Re: 600 Smart Sensors

Jim, I have a simple BX-24 example on my web site at [SRF08.zip]:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhandley/bx-24/bx-24.html

It includes an example, a dedicated SRF08 module, and a 'Bit-banged'
I2C module which I have used with a variety of I2C devices.

- Tom

--- In basicx@basi..., "Jim Bianchin" <jbianchin@c...> wrote:
> Tom, Mike,
> Thanks for the advice. I'll look more closely at the Devantech
sensors.
> Jim


Yahoo! Groups Links



Jim, I have no idea of the accuracy. You really have to test that in
a controlled environment.

- Tom

--- In basicx@basi..., "Jim Bianchin" <jbianchin@c...> wrote:
> Tom,
> Thanks for the link. One thing I'm curious about is the accuracy
of the
> SRF08. Daventech's website doesn't present accuracy data. Since
I'm
> trying to construct an instrument to log fluid levels, I need to
know
> that statistic. Anyone have any information in that regard?
> Jim
>
> Jim Bianchin CEG No. 1644
> Senior Geologist
> CurryGroup, Inc.
> 1612 Wedding Way
> Redding, CA 96003
> 530.244.6277
> Fax: 530.244.6276
> Cell: 530.949.6241
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: basicx@basi... [mailto:basicx@basi...] On
Behalf
> Of tombhandley
> Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 3:13 AM
> To: basicx@basi...
> Subject: [BasicX] Re: 600 Smart Sensors
>
> Jim, I have a simple BX-24 example on my web site at [SRF08.zip]:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhandley/bx-24/bx-24.html
>
> It includes an example, a dedicated SRF08 module, and a 'Bit-
banged'
> I2C module which I have used with a variety of I2C devices.
>
> - Tom
>
> --- In basicx@basi..., "Jim Bianchin" <jbianchin@c...>
wrote:
> > Tom, Mike,
> > Thanks for the advice. I'll look more closely at the Devantech
> sensors.
> > Jim > Yahoo! Groups Links


Jim,

Working with sonar I think the problem usually is
completely spurious readings rather than some kind of
Gaussian distribution of measurements. If the site
where you intend to make the fluid measurements is
deep and narrow, you may have significant problems with
reflections from the sides. As you can see in the sonar
reflection data, the half angle of the radiation pattern
is about 45 degrees. Glancing incidence, depending on
surface roughness, will generally give a specular reflection,
so a return may not be a problem. On the other hand, in a
confined place, you are likely to have multiple reflections,
which may confuse the meaurement process. If your inteneded
environment is "benign" in the above aspects, then statistical
accuracy may enter as the dominant error. As Tom mentions, you
are best served by making in situ measurements yourself.
However Gerald Coe (Mr. Devantech) is quite helpful. Contact
him by going to his site, www.robot-electronics.com and clicking
on Contact, or email him at sales@sale...

John Piccirillo

>Jim, I have no idea of the accuracy. You really have to test that in
>a controlled environment.
>
<- Tom

--- In basicx@basi..., "Jim Bianchin" <jbianchin@c...> wrote:
> Tom,
> Thanks for the link. One thing I'm curious about is the accuracy
of the
> SRF08. Daventech's website doesn't present accuracy data. Since
I'm
> trying to construct an instrument to log fluid levels, I need to
know
> that statistic. Anyone have any information in that regard?
> Jim
>
> Jim Bianchin CEG No. 1644
> Senior Geologist
> CurryGroup, Inc.
> 1612 Wedding Way
> Redding, CA 96003
> 530.244.6277
> Fax: 530.244.6276
> Cell: 530.949.6241
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: basicx@basi... [mailto:basicx@basi...] On
Behalf
> Of tombhandley
> Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 3:13 AM
> To: basicx@basi...
> Subject: [BasicX] Re: 600 Smart Sensors
>
> Jim, I have a simple BX-24 example on my web site at [SRF08.zip]:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhandley/bx-24/bx-24.html
>
> It includes an example, a dedicated SRF08 module, and a 'Bit-
banged'
> I2C module which I have used with a variety of I2C devices.
>
> - Tom
>
> --- In basicx@basi..., "Jim Bianchin" <jbianchin@c...>
wrote:
> > Tom, Mike,
> > Thanks for the advice. I'll look more closely at the Devantech
> sensors.
> > Jim
>


John,
Thanks for the feedback. I suspect the viability of what I'm attempting
to accomplish will be determined through trial and error and until I get
my prototype up and running, there will be no set answers (this seems
par for the course for much of what we do...). I appreciate the help
none the less!
Jim

Jim Bianchin CEG No. 1644
Senior Geologist
CurryGroup, Inc.
1612 Wedding Way
Redding, CA 96003
530.244.6277
Fax: 530.244.6276
Cell: 530.949.6241

-----Original Message-----
From: basicx@basi... [mailto:basicx@basi...] On Behalf
Of jxpicciri2000
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:44 AM
To: basicx@basi...
Subject: [BasicX] Re: 600 Smart Sensors

Jim,

Working with sonar I think the problem usually is
completely spurious readings rather than some kind of
Gaussian distribution of measurements. If the site
where you intend to make the fluid measurements is
deep and narrow, you may have significant problems with
reflections from the sides. As you can see in the sonar
reflection data, the half angle of the radiation pattern
is about 45 degrees. Glancing incidence, depending on
surface roughness, will generally give a specular reflection,
so a return may not be a problem. On the other hand, in a
confined place, you are likely to have multiple reflections,
which may confuse the meaurement process. If your inteneded
environment is "benign" in the above aspects, then statistical
accuracy may enter as the dominant error. As Tom mentions, you
are best served by making in situ measurements yourself.
However Gerald Coe (Mr. Devantech) is quite helpful. Contact
him by going to his site, www.robot-electronics.com and clicking
on Contact, or email him at sales@sale...

John Piccirillo

>Jim, I have no idea of the accuracy. You really have to test that in
>a controlled environment.
>
<- Tom

--- In basicx@basi..., "Jim Bianchin" <jbianchin@c...> wrote:
> Tom,
> Thanks for the link. One thing I'm curious about is the accuracy
of the
> SRF08. Daventech's website doesn't present accuracy data. Since
I'm
> trying to construct an instrument to log fluid levels, I need to
know
> that statistic. Anyone have any information in that regard?
> Jim
>
> Jim Bianchin CEG No. 1644
> Senior Geologist
> CurryGroup, Inc.
> 1612 Wedding Way
> Redding, CA 96003
> 530.244.6277
> Fax: 530.244.6276
> Cell: 530.949.6241
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: basicx@basi... [mailto:basicx@basi...] On
Behalf
> Of tombhandley
> Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 3:13 AM
> To: basicx@basi...
> Subject: [BasicX] Re: 600 Smart Sensors
>
> Jim, I have a simple BX-24 example on my web site at [SRF08.zip]:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhandley/bx-24/bx-24.html
>
> It includes an example, a dedicated SRF08 module, and a 'Bit-
banged'
> I2C module which I have used with a variety of I2C devices.
>
> - Tom
>
> --- In basicx@basi..., "Jim Bianchin" <jbianchin@c...>
wrote:
> > Tom, Mike,
> > Thanks for the advice. I'll look more closely at the Devantech
> sensors.
> > Jim
>


Yahoo! Groups Links