Anybody here hacked a (USB) Bluetooth dongle?

Started by btecontrols July 31, 2005
I am interested in using a Bluetooth link for a BX-24 project I have in
mind. The serial Bluetooth adapters I have found cost ~$100 or so, but
one can get the USB "dongles" for around $20.

Specifically, I would like to know if the dongles contain enough
firmware to handle connecting, or if not, would the BX-24 have enough
resources (memory) to make using one a viable option?

I have not yet begun trying, but I will look into it as I have time. I
was just wondering if anybody already knew.

Thanks- bry


> ... one can get USB "dongles" for around $20.

If the BX-24 could speak USB, they'd probably work. I use TDK Blu2i
modules in cable replacement mode at 115200. The link is controlled
just like a modem using AT commands; very easy.

Bluetooth profiles allow for many other functions, too, hardware
permitting. What you can do depends entirely on the module and its
firmware, and probably those of a paired device. I haven't explored it,
but the TDK module provides a full-duplex analog channel that can carry
voice, for instance, in addition to the serial stream.

There are other discussions about Bluetooth in the group archive. Tom


Tell me more.
I just got a BlueTooth doongle for my Zire72 PDA. It is the deluxe
with a 300meter range.

I suppose that I could get a USB to Serial adapter to interface the
BX-24 AND anothor dongle on that USB.

How would a bring it altogether in a functioning package? -- In basicx@basi..., Tom Becker <gtbecker@r...> wrote:
> > ... one can get USB "dongles" for around $20.
>
> If the BX-24 could speak USB, they'd probably work. I use TDK
Blu2i
> modules in cable replacement mode at 115200. The link is
controlled
> just like a modem using AT commands; very easy.
>
> Bluetooth profiles allow for many other functions, too, hardware
> permitting. What you can do depends entirely on the module and its
> firmware, and probably those of a paired device. I haven't
explored it,
> but the TDK module provides a full-duplex analog channel that can
carry
> voice, for instance, in addition to the serial stream.
>
> There are other discussions about Bluetooth in the group archive. > Tom



http://blu2i.com/index.asp

You can't connect a USB client, like your Bluetooth dongle, to a
USB/RS232 adapter, which is another USB client. You'll need to look
like a USB host to use either client. http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm. Tom


Okay. So what is available as a USB host for small projects? Can you
just buy a chip and drive it with a BX-24? If so, I could just plug
another doongle into my PC.

I do see board with USB and other 24pin microprocessors, but I fear
that they are clinet only.

--- In basicx@basi..., Tom Becker <gtbecker@r...> wrote:
> http://blu2i.com/index.asp
>
> You can't connect a USB client, like your Bluetooth dongle, to a
> USB/RS232 adapter, which is another USB client. You'll need to look
> like a USB host to use either client. http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm. > Tom


> ... Can you just buy a chip and drive it with a BX-24?

I'm sure one can. But can you develop a BX-24 USB root hub for less than
the $50? Isn't it more effective to grunt at the price, pay it, and
move on with your Bluetooth project in TTL RS232? Tom


re: Bluetooth ranges

Tom, what kind of 'open air' ranges are you seeing with that module?
Thanks,

- Tom

--- In basicx@basi..., Tom Becker <gtbecker@r...> wrote:
> > ... one can get USB "dongles" for around $20.
>
> If the BX-24 could speak USB, they'd probably work. I use TDK
Blu2i
> modules in cable replacement mode at 115200. The link is
controlled
> just like a modem using AT commands; very easy.
>
> Bluetooth profiles allow for many other functions, too, hardware
> permitting. What you can do depends entirely on the module and its
> firmware, and probably those of a paired device. I haven't
explored it,
> but the TDK module provides a full-duplex analog channel that can
carry
> voice, for instance, in addition to the serial stream.
>
> There are other discussions about Bluetooth in the group archive. > Tom


> ... 'open air' ranges...

I'm very happy with the Blu2i range. I can control my project from a
Bluetoothed PDA more than 100 meters down my street - with three 802.11x
APs within 10 meters of the project and a wireless laptop (both WiFi and
Bluetooth active) on the project cart. Tom


Tom, wow. That's well beyond BT specs if I recall. My Palm T3 with a
TomTom GPS can only get around 10ft at best... I definitely want to
check out that module. Thanks!

- Tom

--- In basicx@basi..., Tom Becker <gtbecker@r...> wrote:
> > ... 'open air' ranges...
>
> I'm very happy with the Blu2i range. I can control my project from
a
> Bluetoothed PDA more than 100 meters down my street - with three
802.11x
> APs within 10 meters of the project and a wireless laptop (both
WiFi
and
> Bluetooth active) on the project cart. > Tom



I'll need to look to remember what I ordered, but you will want to get
the developer's kit to get going quickly; the Hirose connector is
impossible to work with as a prototype but, once you know what you need,
you can tack-solder to the module easily.

I expected to get just two modules - but received four, two RS232
modules and two packaged USB units. I found other things to do with
them, including finally getting a Bluetooth earpiece to work. Tom