transition from software to embedded programming

Started by Amit November 17, 2008

hi group,

I'm on a transition from software to embedded software job. however, I
haven't used things such as logic analyzer or analog boards for years.
Now I need to fresh my mind and get some exprience on:

layout, prototyping
analog and digital circuits
circuit schematic

What should I do? how and where? any online resources?

thank you,
amit

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:01:51 -0800 (PST), in comp.arch.embedded Amit
<amit.kohan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >hi group, > >I'm on a transition from software to embedded software job. however, I >haven't used things such as logic analyzer or analog boards for years. >Now I need to fresh my mind and get some exprience on: > >layout, prototyping >analog and digital circuits >circuit schematic > >What should I do? how and where? any online resources? > >thank you, >amit >
Well, you should know the type of processor, pic/arm/avr so just googleit It should not take more than an hour. There are thousands of links, then refine your question martin
"Amit" <amit.kohan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > hi group, > > I'm on a transition from software to embedded software job. however, I > haven't used things such as logic analyzer or analog boards for years. > Now I need to fresh my mind and get some exprience on: > > layout, prototyping > analog and digital circuits > circuit schematic > > What should I do? how and where? any online resources?
You should change careers, probably to financial advising. I don't want a newbie like you working on a consumer appliance that I end up buying. That being said ... Depending on your educational background: a)You should probably take a few circuits classes at the local university. The trauma of doing homework, preparing for exams, etc., forces you to actually learn the stuff. b)You should probably review classic embedded systems problems (initialization issues, interrupt-related issues, design of sequential logic, etc.). The Lizard
On Nov 18, 10:11=A0am, "Jujitsu Lizard" <jujitsu.liz...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Amit" <amit.ko...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:ce455c77-eedc-4c53-b07b-f9132dd8be39@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > > > > > hi group, > > > I'm on a transition from software to embedded software job. however, I > > haven't used things such as logic analyzer or analog boards for years. > > Now I need to fresh my mind and get some exprience on: > > > layout, prototyping > > analog and digital circuits > > circuit schematic > > > What should I do? how and where? any online resources? > > You should change careers, probably to financial advising. =A0I don't wan=
t a
> newbie like you working on a consumer appliance that I end up buying. >
What an attitude. So I guess college graduates should pick a new profession. Everyone is a newbie somewhere along the way. That's what senior engineers/mentors are for. JW
"jw" <cyberzl1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Nov 18, 10:11 am, "Jujitsu Lizard" <jujitsu.liz...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Amit" <amit.ko...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:ce455c77-eedc-4c53-b07b-f9132dd8be39@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > > > > > hi group, > > > I'm on a transition from software to embedded software job. however, I > > haven't used things such as logic analyzer or analog boards for years. > > Now I need to fresh my mind and get some exprience on: > > > layout, prototyping > > analog and digital circuits > > circuit schematic > > > What should I do? how and where? any online resources? > > You should change careers, probably to financial advising. I don't want a > newbie like you working on a consumer appliance that I end up buying. > > >What an attitude. So I guess college graduates should pick a new >profession. >Everyone is a newbie somewhere along the way. That's what senior >engineers/mentors are for.
Right now I'm trying to find homes for two feral kittens (fortunately, their behavior is greatly improved from a couple weeks ago). My two adult cats smack the kittens around just so they don't forget who is boss. Naturally, as the kittens get larger, this won't be possible any longer. I don't see any reason that human behavior should be any different. A post with the word "transition" in it asking for advice is really a request for abuse. The OP wants abuse, but doesn't quite know how to ask for it. I'm glad to accommodate. The Lizard.
There's lots of stuff online, just takes a bit of googling. One place that's worth a look is www.ganssle.com - lots of good articles there. So what should you do? Buy a board with an 8-bit processor like an 80C51 or AVR, install a toolchain, and do stuff with it. One reason I suggest an 8-bit device is that, coming from the desktop world, you need to have it sink in that most embedded systems are pitifully short of the speed and memory that you're accustomed to. I saw an example recently of a person who declared about a dozen text strings in an embedded program and ran out of RAM. What he needed to do was force the strings to live in flash or other program memory and only bring them into RAM when he needed them. This is just one example of the kinds of things you need to learn in the embedded world. Here's an example of the kind of board I'd recommend. It's got the obligatory buttons and leds, and it has an LCD display which I think is very useful to have and to master. http://eecs.oregonstate.edu/education/products/mega128.2/ Mike

Hans-Bernhard Br&#4294967295;ker wrote:
> Amit wrote: > >> I'm on a transition from software to embedded software job. however, I >> haven't used things such as logic analyzer or analog boards for years. >> Now I need to fresh my mind and get some exprience on: >> >> layout, prototyping > > analog and digital circuits > > circuit schematic > > Huh? What makes you think you need electronic hardware design or > production skills to work on software? > > Yes, you should know how to understand schematics. But leave layout and > production to the hardware guys. >
Whenver I am in need for an embedded programmer I look for people who understand the hardware around the uC, have a basic graps of what production folks like and don't like (testing, debugging) and most of all can spot potential situations where something could go kablouie in a spectacular fashion. We try to avoid anyone who says "that's not my turf". -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/ "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. Use another domain or send PM.
Even better, I found a video illustration of appropriate comp.arch.embedded behavior: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQUg-unXII&feature=related
On Nov 18, 7:11=A0am, "Jujitsu Lizard" <jujitsu.liz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Amit" <amit.ko...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:ce455c77-eedc-4c53-b07b-f9132dd8be39@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > > > > > hi group, > > > I'm on a transition from software to embedded software job. however, I > > haven't used things such as logic analyzer or analog boards for years. > > Now I need to fresh my mind and get some exprience on: > > > layout, prototyping > > analog and digital circuits > > circuit schematic > > > What should I do? how and where? any online resources? > > You should change careers, probably to financial advising. =A0I don't wan=
t a
> newbie like you working on a consumer appliance that I end up buying. > > That being said ... > > Depending on your educational background: > > a)You should probably take a few circuits classes at the local university=
.
> The trauma of doing homework, preparing for exams, etc., forces you to > actually learn the stuff. > > b)You should probably review classic embedded systems problems > (initialization issues, interrupt-related issues, design of sequential > logic, etc.). > > The Lizard
Lizard, It seems you are pretty smart!!!

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference