msp430 for low power application

Started by cellmania December 4, 2008
In comp.arch.embedded,
larwe <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Shame actually, since it would be an ideal fit for what we are starting >> now. Currently investigating msp430+cc1050 as the cc1050's internal > > Why cc1050 and not cc1101?
Because the cc1101 is a tranceiver and cc1050 is a transmitter, we transmit only. Receiver side will be a completely different device which will not be that power critical, so more choices for RF and CPU. -- Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail) I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble. -- Augustus Caesar
On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 00:04:06 +0100, Stef <stef33d@yahooI-N-V-A-L-I-D.com.invalid> wrote:
> In comp.arch.embedded, steve <bungalow_steve@yahoo.com> wrote: >> TI has a neat wireless MSP430, called the CC430 you may be interested >> in, see >> http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/landing/cc430/index.htm > > "Has" may be a bit optimistic if you want to start development now: > > "The first CC430 samples will be available in limited quantities in > 1Q09 with mass-market sampling and further device introductions > scheduled for later in the year" > > Shame actually, since it would be an ideal fit for what we are starting > now. Currently investigating msp430+cc1050 as the cc1050's internal 8051 > is a bit power hungry if you want any osc running in power down.
Stef, Have you also considered the MSP430+CC2500 combination? TI offers an inexpensive development kit ($50US?) with a pair of boards, one powered from a 2xAA battery pack and the other from a USB "programming dongle". If you're not already aware of the kit, look for TI document slau227c, "ez430-RF2500T Development Tool" for an overview and circuit diagrams. Frank McKenney -- I do not deny that laws are important, but...the passage of new laws has continually served as a substitute for thought. -- Aldo Leopold -- Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887 Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney ayut mined spring dawt cahm (y'all)
In comp.arch.embedded,
Frnak McKenney <frnak@far.from.the.madding.crowd.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 00:04:06 +0100, Stef <stef33d@yahooI-N-V-A-L-I-D.com.invalid> wrote: >> In comp.arch.embedded, steve <bungalow_steve@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Shame actually, since it would be an ideal fit for what we are starting >> now. Currently investigating msp430+cc1050 as the cc1050's internal 8051 >> is a bit power hungry if you want any osc running in power down. > > Have you also considered the MSP430+CC2500 combination? TI offers > an inexpensive development kit ($50US?) with a pair of boards, one > powered from a 2xAA battery pack and the other from a USB > "programming dongle". > > If you're not already aware of the kit, look for TI document slau227c, > "ez430-RF2500T Development Tool" for an overview and circuit diagrams.
The cc2500 is 2.4GHz, we need 868MHz for our data transfer. At least that is the current selection, but things may change later. :-) I was just searching for the required tools (compiler, devboards etc.) and found this page (well just click the 'tools' link on msp430 page ;-) ): http://focus.ti.com/mcu/docs/mcuprodtoolsw.tsp?sectionId=95&tabId=1203&familyId=342&toolTypeId=1 The kit you mention is on there as well as many others, all very affordable, even the IDE/compiler kit. -- Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail) Kirk to Enterprise -- beam down yeoman Rand and a six-pack.

Memfault Beyond the Launch