Technica information on Gameboy Advance PCB and catridge connectors?

Started by Kelvin July 28, 2004
Hi, there:

I am studying ARM assembly programming and FPGA. I can program some simple
programs with the LCD and buttons.

I need some technical information on how to interface with the FPGA through
the catridge connector.

Thanks for your leads.

Kelvin

>Hi, there: > >I am studying ARM assembly programming and FPGA. I can program some simple >programs with the LCD and buttons. > >I need some technical information on how to interface with the FPGA through >the catridge connector. > >Thanks for your leads. > >Kelvin > >
Elektor magazine published a design a while ago for a cartridge that converted a standard Gameboy into a scope. Since the Gameboy Advance is compatible with Gameboy cartridges, there may be some similarity between the cartridge pinouts? Sorry, I'm not sure what issue it was in, but I think they have an index on the website, so try Google?
I found it, it's on sale but it doesn't have information on the actual
design.

Thanks for the lead.

Kelvin

"Kelvin" <kelvin_xq@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I found it, it's on sale but it doesn't have information on the actual > design. > > Thanks for the lead. > > Kelvin > >
Your Googling skills obviously aren't up to much, here is the complete article: http://www.ziegler.desaign.de/gbdso_uk.pdf If only it could have managed even 5MHz we might have been able to convince our boss that we all needed one in our toolkits. Peter --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.716 / Virus Database: 472 - Release Date: 05/07/04
Hiya,

I was looking at this sort of thing once as well, I found
http://www.devrs.com/gba/
to be quite useful.
Have you heard of the XPort
http://www.charmedlabs.com/xport.htm

I hope these are of some assistance.

Paul

"Kelvin" <kelvin_xq@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<41086720@news.starhub.net.sg>...
> Hi, there: > > I am studying ARM assembly programming and FPGA. I can program some simple > programs with the LCD and buttons. > > I need some technical information on how to interface with the FPGA through > the catridge connector. > > Thanks for your leads. > > Kelvin
Thank you very much!

Kelvin

"moocowmoo" <meltyb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Kelvin" <kelvin_xq@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:41089548@news.starhub.net.sg... > > I found it, it's on sale but it doesn't have information on the actual > > design. > > > > Thanks for the lead. > > > > Kelvin > > > > > > Your Googling skills obviously aren't up to much, here is the complete > article: > http://www.ziegler.desaign.de/gbdso_uk.pdf > > If only it could have managed even 5MHz we might have been able to
convince
> our boss that we all needed one in our toolkits. > > Peter > > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.716 / Virus Database: 472 - Release Date: 05/07/04 > >
Yea. I am reading Xport.

Thank you.

Kelvin

Ppelectron wrote:
> Elektor magazine published a design a while ago for a cartridge that converted > a standard Gameboy into a scope. Since the Gameboy Advance is compatible with > Gameboy cartridges, there may be some similarity between the cartridge pinouts? > Sorry, I'm not sure what issue it was in, but I think they have an index on the > website, so try Google?
Gameboy Classic cartridges uses 5 volt signaling where as Gameboy Advance cartridges use 3.3 volts. This is used by the Advance to detect the cartridge type and hence select which pin-out to use with the cartridge as they differ. The Classic uses 16 bit address bus with an 8 bit data bus while the Advance multiplexes a 24 bit address bus and 16 data bus on the same pins. I don't think that you can't execute ARM instructions from a Classic cartridge and hence are restricted to the Classic's Z80ish environment. You might find the following PDF useful. It contains details of the Advance's cartridge interface. http://www.ziegler.desaign.de/GBA/gameboy_advance_for_nongaming_applications.pdf -- Wishing you good fortune, --Robin Kay-- (komadori)

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference