How to provide power to a spinning circuit ?

Started by Rodo July 21, 2004
Hi all...

I need to make a circuit that needs to spin on the shaft of a small dc
brushless motor. I thought I could use a permanent magnet mounted on the
base of the shaft of the motor (not moving) and some coils that will be
spinning on the pcb. I don't know if this will work or provide enough power
(need 5mA) to the spinning pcb . Any better ways ?

BTW I can't seem to find a dc brushless motor manufacturer. Can you suggest
any ?

Thanks

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:37:10 GMT, Rodo wrote:

> Hi all... > > I need to make a circuit that needs to spin on the shaft of a small dc > brushless motor. I thought I could use a permanent magnet mounted on the > base of the shaft of the motor (not moving) and some coils that will be > spinning on the pcb. I don't know if this will work or provide enough power > (need 5mA) to the spinning pcb . Any better ways ? > > BTW I can't seem to find a dc brushless motor manufacturer. Can you suggest > any ? > > Thanks
Slip rings? -- "Just machines that make big decisions programmed by fellas with compassion and vision." -D. Fagen (remove yomama)
Rodo <dsp1024@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all...
> I need to make a circuit that needs to spin on the shaft of a small dc > brushless motor. I thought I could use a permanent magnet mounted on the > base of the shaft of the motor (not moving) and some coils that will be > spinning on the pcb. I don't know if this will work or provide enough power > (need 5mA) to the spinning pcb . Any better ways ?
One simple approach is to use a small motor with the body attached to your PCB and the shaft fixed. Attach a pulley to the body of the motor and spin it with another motor. Take power from the leads of the motor attached to your PCB. -- Burn the land and boil the sea, You can't take the sky from me.
"Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message
> Rodo wrote: > > Hi all... > > > > I need to make a circuit that needs to spin on the shaft of a small dc > > brushless motor. I thought I could use a permanent magnet mounted on the > > base of the shaft of the motor (not moving) and some coils that will be > > spinning on the pcb. I don't know if this will work or provide enough
power
> > (need 5mA) to the spinning pcb . Any better ways ? > > You left out too many details. > > 1. How fast?
100 rpm or more
> 2. How many are you going to build?
more than one
> 3. How much money do you have?
enough
> 4. How long does it have to last?
5 yrs
> > > BTW I can't seem to find a dc brushless motor manufacturer. Can you
suggest
> > any ? > > Google is your friend.
So is yahoo. Everything I hit seems to be large dc motors. Thanks
Rodo wrote:

> "Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message > news:Ee2dncePPugmfGPdRVn-ig@omsoft.com... > >>Rodo wrote: >> >>>Hi all... >>> >>>I need to make a circuit that needs to spin on the shaft of a small dc >>>brushless motor. I thought I could use a permanent magnet mounted on the >>>base of the shaft of the motor (not moving) and some coils that will be >>>spinning on the pcb. I don't know if this will work or provide enough > > power > >>>(need 5mA) to the spinning pcb . Any better ways ? >> >>You left out too many details. >> >>1. How fast? > > > 100 rpm or more > > >>2. How many are you going to build? > > > more than one
Ok, let me ask the question since you seem somewhat reluctant. Are you going to have assemblers build these in large quantities will you build a few in your garage or somewhere in between. I seriously doubt anyone here is going to steal your design based on what you've told/not told us.
> >>3. How much money do you have? > > > enough
Ok, how much do you expect to spend per unit?
> >>4. How long does it have to last? > > > 5 yrs
Rules out slip rings. I'd use an inductive coupling. Sony and others have used them to power the preamp and/or deliver erase current on the spinning helical head assembly for videotape
Then add "fractional horsepower" to your search term.
> Thanks > >
> I need to make a circuit that needs to spin on the shaft of a small dc > brushless motor. I thought I could use a permanent magnet mounted on the
As a point of reference for you: Dremel makes a lamp for their tools, which takes off power using magnetic coupling: It consists of a permanent magnet (this goes on the shaft of the tool) and a coil assy that wraps around it, and the coil is connected to two LEDs. Probably around 60mA.
>> 1. How fast? > >100 rpm or more > >> 2. How many are you going to build? > >more than one > >> 3. How much money do you have? > >enough > >> 4. How long does it have to last? > >5 yrs
Use a rotating transformer.

One way might be to modify the motor so you can draw power from the rotor windings. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Rodo wrote:
> "Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message > news:Ee2dncePPugmfGPdRVn-ig@omsoft.com... > >>Rodo wrote: >> >>>Hi all... >>> >>>I need to make a circuit that needs to spin on the shaft of a small dc >>>brushless motor. I thought I could use a permanent magnet mounted on the >>>base of the shaft of the motor (not moving) and some coils that will be >>>spinning on the pcb. I don't know if this will work or provide enough power >>>(need 5mA) to the spinning pcb . Any better ways ?
A bright lamp, and a solar cell... ? :)
You are going to need a generator of some sort. At such low speeds, the simple magnet/coil is going to struggle, so you probably need higher frequency resonant coupling ( see electric toothbrush chargers ) - these use ferrite coils, with a frequency chosen for maximum power transfer, somewhere in 15Khz-150Khz regions. -jg