linux kernel

Started by leilei March 22, 2009
hi.
i have been reading linux kenel source code for a long time.now i want
to participate the linux kernel community.
is there anyone know how to?
"leilei" <huxuelei630@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi. > i have been reading linux kenel source code for a long time.now i want > to participate the linux kernel community. > is there anyone know how to?
That is an interesting question. I did find this URL: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-911045.html I'm not a Linux insider by any means ... but it seems that some people find technical niches ... The two people I would contact for insight are (and don't laugh at me here): a)Linus Torvalds, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds b)Donald Becker, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Becker My reasons for suggesting you contact Linus are obvious ... if anyone has the big picture, it would be him. However, I suspect Linus is very constrained for time and very difficult to reach. As far as Donald ... Donald works in a technical niche ... and he would probably have insight into how to contribute as well ... It might also make sense to post your inquiry to one of the Linux newsgroups ... The Lizard.
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 19:16:01 -0700 (PDT), leilei
<huxuelei630@gmail.com> wrote:

>hi. >i have been reading linux kenel source code for a long time.now i want >to participate the linux kernel community. >is there anyone know how to?
Give up and focus on commercial skills. One day you may need to make changes to the kernel but why bother until the need arises?
leilei wrote:

> i have been reading linux kenel source code for a long time.now i want > to participate the linux kernel community. > is there anyone know how to?
That's like with many open source projects: You start by creating some useful things, e.g. a patch for a bug, because I think big projects like Linux attracts many wannabes, so this is a good prove what you can do. Then you write about it, e.g. in the linux.kernel newsgroup. Maybe your patch will be applied, after reviewed from others. You can discuss in this newsgroup how you can help more. Another good idea is to write a driver for some new hardware, which are not supported. -- Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de http://www.frank-buss.de, http://www.it4-systems.de
Un bel giorno leilei digit&#4294967295;:

> hi. > i have been reading linux kenel source code for a long time.now i want > to participate the linux kernel community. > is there anyone know how to?
As far as I know, everyone can post his own patches on LKML. FAQ is here: http://www.tux.org/lkml/ -- emboliaschizoide.splinder.com

Memfault Beyond the Launch