Schematic considerations for MSP430?

Started by Chess Saurus July 19, 2004
I know that I've seen a TI document about this before, but a 15 minute
google search left me with nothing.

I am double-checking a schematic that uses an MSP430F149, and I want
to ensure that I have all the pins correctly terminated for (1)
correct operations and (2) access to the JTAG port for in-circuit
programming and debugging.  Here's what I've got:

AVcc   -- 3.3V
DVcc   -- 3.3V
DVss   -- GND
AVss   -- GND
XIN    -- GND
VeRef+ -- GND
VeRef- -- GND
RST    -- Pulled up to 3.3V, with a connector at pin
TCK    -- Connector at pin
TMS    -- Connector at pin
TDI    -- Connector at pin
TDO    -- Connector at pin

Everything else is open (except for some inputs and outputs that I am
using).  I am using the internal oscillator as clock.

Any help (whether a reference to a document or a check of my pinout)
will be greatly appreciated.

-Chess
Hi,

TI have a demo board based on the msp430f149, you can check all the
connections against that.

I'm not sure it's schematic is on the web, but i could dig it out for you if
your having problems finding it.

Dave

Chess Saurus wrote:
> I know that I've seen a TI document about this before, but a 15 minute > google search left me with nothing. > > I am double-checking a schematic that uses an MSP430F149, and I want > to ensure that I have all the pins correctly terminated for (1) > correct operations and (2) access to the JTAG port for in-circuit > programming and debugging. Here's what I've got: > > AVcc -- 3.3V > DVcc -- 3.3V > DVss -- GND > AVss -- GND > XIN -- GND > VeRef+ -- GND > VeRef- -- GND > RST -- Pulled up to 3.3V, with a connector at pin > TCK -- Connector at pin > TMS -- Connector at pin > TDI -- Connector at pin > TDO -- Connector at pin > > Everything else is open (except for some inputs and outputs that I am > using). I am using the internal oscillator as clock. > > Any help (whether a reference to a document or a check of my pinout) > will be greatly appreciated. > > -Chess
Not sure about tying RST high. TI's demo schems always use an RC reset in the range 10K-100K (though I think 30K is the "upper limit" according to other documentation) + 100n, and this works in the lab. The MSP's hardware brownout does leave a hole however, so I would recommend an external reset chip as best practice. You can leave VeRef+ floating. I'd be tempted to do the same with XIN, it might be biassed. Most of the demo files have a ASCII schematic in a big comment at the top. Regards, Mike. -- Mike Page BEng(Hons) MIEE www.eclectic-web.co.uk Quiet! Tony's battling the forces of conservatism, whoever we are.
Thank you for the offer, but I do have that schematic.  The things
that I noticed about it is that it has a filter capacitor on the DVcc
and AVcc lines, and that it actually connects the XOUT pin to the JTAG
port.

I have added a capacitor to mine (100nF ceramic), put have not put a
lead on XOUT, because I read elsewhere on USENET That this pin is no
longer necessary.

-Chess

> Hi, > > TI have a demo board based on the msp430f149, you can check all the > connections against that. > > I'm not sure it's schematic is on the web, but i could dig it out for you if > your having problems finding it. > > Dave > > "Chess Saurus" <chessaurus@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:e722c26f.0407191557.57bd1583@posting.google.com... > > I know that I've seen a TI document about this before, but a 15 minute > > google search left me with nothing. > > > > I am double-checking a schematic that uses an MSP430F149, and I want > > to ensure that I have all the pins correctly terminated for (1) > > correct operations and (2) access to the JTAG port for in-circuit > > programming and debugging. Here's what I've got: > > > > AVcc -- 3.3V > > DVcc -- 3.3V > > DVss -- GND > > AVss -- GND > > XIN -- GND > > VeRef+ -- GND > > VeRef- -- GND > > RST -- Pulled up to 3.3V, with a connector at pin > > TCK -- Connector at pin > > TMS -- Connector at pin > > TDI -- Connector at pin > > TDO -- Connector at pin > > > > Everything else is open (except for some inputs and outputs that I am > > using). I am using the internal oscillator as clock. > > > > Any help (whether a reference to a document or a check of my pinout) > > will be greatly appreciated. > > > > -Chess

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference