Looking for a little embedded computer... Gumstix?

Started by Peter June 6, 2009
I've got the following hardware requirement:

2 x RS232 port
Bluetooth (to talk to a mobile phone)
Ethernet (speed irrelevant)
USB (Controller)
A small qwerty keyboard
A small text LCD
640x480 Video output
NTSC video output
No particular processor power is required
Low power dissipation
Needs to fit into a box approx (mm) 100 x 50 x 150

I've designed loads of embedded hardware over the years but this
project will involve some internet stuff, and the bluet**th ;) so we
will be looking to make use of existing support and something like
Linux would be essential.

It would be nice to have something on which bluetooth actually works
;)

There seems to be a wide choice of hardware out there. The Gumstix
line is interesting but there appears to be no support contact
details; just a developer mailing list.

The video output requirement is a bit weird... we actually just need
to drive the text LCD, and currently I am doing a part of this using a
standard windoze XP machine with an 800x600 VGA output (DB15) driving
a cheap ex-Ebay VGA to NTSC converter. The converter is not a great
issue but is a significant size PCB and draws about 500mA at 9V.
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 10:27:30 +0100, Peter <nospam@nospam9876.com>
wrote:

>I've got the following hardware requirement: > >2 x RS232 port >Bluetooth (to talk to a mobile phone) >Ethernet (speed irrelevant) >USB (Controller) >A small qwerty keyboard >A small text LCD >640x480 Video output >NTSC video output >No particular processor power is required >Low power dissipation >Needs to fit into a box approx (mm) 100 x 50 x 150 > >I've designed loads of embedded hardware over the years but this >project will involve some internet stuff, and the bluet**th ;) so we >will be looking to make use of existing support and something like >Linux would be essential. > >It would be nice to have something on which bluetooth actually works >;) > >There seems to be a wide choice of hardware out there. The Gumstix >line is interesting but there appears to be no support contact >details; just a developer mailing list. > >The video output requirement is a bit weird... we actually just need >to drive the text LCD, and currently I am doing a part of this using a >standard windoze XP machine with an 800x600 VGA output (DB15) driving >a cheap ex-Ebay VGA to NTSC converter. The converter is not a great >issue but is a significant size PCB and draws about 500mA at 9V.
With that setup i would have tried a PC104 base first.
PC104 - agreed. Try Technologic Systems @ www.embeddedarm.com.

How about the Beagle board? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_Board -- _______________________________________________ / David Simpson \ | dsimpson@NOnyxSPAM.net | | http://www.nyx.net/~dsimpson | |We got to go to the crappy town where I'm a hero.| \_______________________________________________/
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:16:16 -0500, David Simpson <d-simpson@comcast.net> wrote:

>"JeffR" <jeffreyramsey@e2atechnology.com> wrote in >news:uMKdnYL4OeAhb6rXnZ2dnUVZ_vmdnZ2d@giganews.com: > >>>I've got the following hardware requirement: >>> >>>2 x RS232 port >>>Bluetooth (to talk to a mobile phone) >>>Ethernet (speed irrelevant) >>>USB (Controller) >>>A small qwerty keyboard >>>A small text LCD >>>640x480 Video output >>>NTSC video output >>>No particular processor power is required >>>Low power dissipation >>>Needs to fit into a box approx (mm) 100 x 50 x 150 >>> >>>I've designed loads of embedded hardware over the years but this >>>project will involve some internet stuff, and the bluet**th ;) so we >>>will be looking to make use of existing support and something like >>>Linux would be essential. >>> >>>It would be nice to have something on which bluetooth actually works >>>;) >>> >>>There seems to be a wide choice of hardware out there. The Gumstix >>>line is interesting but there appears to be no support contact >>>details; just a developer mailing list. >>> >>>The video output requirement is a bit weird... we actually just need >>>to drive the text LCD, and currently I am doing a part of this using a >>>standard windoze XP machine with an 800x600 VGA output (DB15) driving >>>a cheap ex-Ebay VGA to NTSC converter. The converter is not a great >>>issue but is a significant size PCB and draws about 500mA at 9V.
Consider a USB-VGA device for the video output - this may give you more hardware options. Linux drivers (albeit with limited functionality) for these have appeared recently

Memfault Beyond the Launch