what schematic and component library for FreePCB ?

Started by whygee June 11, 2009
Hello,

I need to upgrade all my PCB SW and FreeCPB looks OK for me
(even though it forces me to stay on ms-windows).
However it's only an element in the tool chain,
so what free software can work (interactively if possible)
with FreePCB ? I've been using an old EAGLE (the "gratis" version)
too long and it does not fit my growing needs anymore...

thank you for your help,
yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
whygee <whygee@yg.yg> writes:
> I need to upgrade all my PCB SW and FreePCB looks OK for me > (even though it forces me to stay on ms-windows).
If you don't want Windows, switch to Kicad or gEDA.
Hi,

DJ Delorie wrote:
> whygee <whygee@yg.yg> writes: >> I need to upgrade all my PCB SW and FreePCB looks OK for me >> (even though it forces me to stay on ms-windows). > If you don't want Windows, switch to Kicad or gEDA.
Are they mature enough today ? Do they provide enough functionalities to design serious things ? It seems that there is so much choice or offerings with the tools that no choice is possible :-( yg -- http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
whygee <whygee@yg.yg> writes:

> Are they mature enough today ? Do they provide enough > functionalities to design serious things ?
Serious? How about satellites? There are gEDA-designed boards out in space right now...
"whygee" <whygee@yg.yg> schreef in bericht
> Hello, > > I need to upgrade all my PCB SW and FreeCPB looks OK for me > (even though it forces me to stay on ms-windows). > However it's only an element in the tool chain, > so what free software can work (interactively if possible) > with FreePCB ? I've been using an old EAGLE (the "gratis" version) > too long and it does not fit my growing needs anymore... > > thank you for your help, > yg >
TinyCAD can output netlists that can be processed by FreePCB. I do all my camera designs with this combo. Antoon
Hi !

Antoon wrote:
> TinyCAD can output netlists that can be processed by FreePCB. I do all my > camera designs with this combo.
and how does it work for component libraries ? When there are two different tools, the issue might be to generate a description that suits both schematics & layout. (sorry if "I don't do my homework" but I'm too busy on too many fronts) thanks,
In article <4a3157ad$0$292$7a628cd7@news.club-internet.fr>,
whygee  <whygee@yg.yg> wrote:
>Hello, > >I need to upgrade all my PCB SW and FreeCPB looks OK for me >(even though it forces me to stay on ms-windows).
I have run a lot of ms-windows software on Wine (linux). I have not tried FREEPCB yet, and would be interested to hear how that goes. If you prefer linux, it is worth a try.
>However it's only an element in the tool chain, >so what free software can work (interactively if possible) >with FreePCB ? I've been using an old EAGLE (the "gratis" version) >too long and it does not fit my growing needs anymore...
That much is sure, all file format in FreePCB make sense and are hackable to a large extent. I have been doing some direct editing of board layouts. It works together with CVS great, and diff's make sense.
Groetjes Albert -- -- Albert van der Horst, UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS Economic growth -- being exponential -- ultimately falters. albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst
Here's what the developer has to say: http://google.com/search?q=3Dcache:0n-ObBVppKUJ:www.freepcb.com/freepcb_use= r_guide.pdf+open.source+*-*-*-under-Linux-*-using.Wine+Importing.Netlist.Fi= les.into.FreePCB+1A+A1A+Microsoft.Windows+netlist.file+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*.= *-*-*.*-*-will-have-*-make-the-netlist.*.*.*-*+schematic.editor+*-*-*-tedio= us+Allan.Wright+*-Macintosh.*.*-*-*-*+*-*-*-*-*.*.*.*-*-recognized-by-FreeP= CB#3 http://www.freepcb.com/freepcb_user_guide.pdf Page 3
> Hi ! > > Antoon wrote: > > TinyCAD can output netlists that can be processed by FreePCB. I do all
my
> > camera designs with this combo. > > and how does it work for component libraries ? > When there are two different tools, the issue might > be to generate a description that suits both schematics & layout. > > (sorry if "I don't do my homework" but I'm too busy on too many fronts) >
Both programs have their own libraries, and for most components I use I have (had to) design my own objects. Fortunately both programs make it really easy to roll your own. Antoon

Memfault Beyond the Launch