Re: floating point question on MSP430

Started by pabl...@hotmail.com July 12, 2004
package(FPP)? http://www-s.ti.com/sc/techzip/slar041.zip, described in http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slaa024/slaa024.pdf
> I need the uC to take the square root of a number and it seems that
I'll
> have to use the FPP to do it. Is that true?
It is one way to do it.
Fiddles with floating point calculations (two formats provided). RTFM. Cheers. -- PabloBleyerKocik /"To the electron -- may it never pbleyer2004 / be of any use to anybody." @embedded.cl / -- JJ Thomson's favorite toast
"pablobleyer@hotmail.com" <pablobleyer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<cct6gb$onu@odak26.prod.google.com>...
> David R. McCoy wrote: > > Hi All, > > > > What is TI talking about when they refer to the floating point > package(FPP)? > > http://www-s.ti.com/sc/techzip/slar041.zip, described in > http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slaa024/slaa024.pdf > > > I need the uC to take the square root of a number and it seems that > I'll > > have to use the FPP to do it. Is that true? > > It is one way to do it. > > > What is the FPP used for? > > Fiddles with floating point calculations (two formats provided). RTFM. > > Cheers.
There are several methods for calculating sq root. Search the archives here and software-eng. THe one the comes to mind is a sucessive approximation method that (from MSB to LSB) sets a bit in the answer then squares the number then tests is the guess squared is larger input value. I suspect the 430 will have fast multiply. Floating point will be large code and time wise. Good Luck George