Developing/compiling software

Started by Lodewicus Maas September 16, 2009
HI All

I've looked at Keil uVIsion (Trial Version) as well as Asem51v1.3 (old
stuff).

Any suggestions of the compiler software you're using to write/compile your
code and create hex files to upload to the ATMEL microcontrollers. I would
rather review a few other options, than to invest in the Keil software, only
to discover afterwards that there are maybe better tools for the job

(Apologies for my tenses/grammar - English is my second language)

Kind Regards

"Lodewicus Maas" <wicus.maas@gmail.com> wrote in message
> HI All > > I've looked at Keil uVIsion (Trial Version) as well as Asem51v1.3 (old > stuff). > > Any suggestions of the compiler software you're using to write/compile
your
> code and create hex files to upload to the ATMEL microcontrollers.
I am using ImageCraft for the AVR. Cheap and good. Excellent support. Meindert
Lodewicus Maas wrote:
> HI All > > I've looked at Keil uVIsion (Trial Version) as well as Asem51v1.3 (old > stuff). > > Any suggestions of the compiler software you're using to write/compile > your code and create hex files to upload to the ATMEL microcontrollers. > I would rather review a few other options, than to invest in the Keil > software, only to discover afterwards that there are maybe better tools > for the job > > (Apologies for my tenses/grammar - English is my second language) > > Kind Regards
Atmel make a lot of different microcontrollers - are you talking about their 8051 devices, or something else? And have you looked at other architectures? There a couple of dozen other cpu architectures that are better suited to C development than the 8051, and have better ranges of tools.
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:25:44 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"
<ms@NOJUNKcustomORSPAMware.nl> wrote:

>"Lodewicus Maas" <wicus.maas@gmail.com> wrote in message >news:EeWdna48jIcnOi3XnZ2dnUVZ8hKdnZ2d@saix.net... >> HI All >> >> I've looked at Keil uVIsion (Trial Version) as well as Asem51v1.3 (old >> stuff). >> >> Any suggestions of the compiler software you're using to write/compile >your >> code and create hex files to upload to the ATMEL microcontrollers. > >I am using ImageCraft for the AVR. Cheap and good. Excellent support.
Second vote here for Imagecraft. Been using it professionally for several years. -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

"Rich Webb" <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:25:44 +0200, "Meindert Sprang" > <ms@NOJUNKcustomORSPAMware.nl> wrote: > >>"Lodewicus Maas" <wicus.maas@gmail.com> wrote in message >>news:EeWdna48jIcnOi3XnZ2dnUVZ8hKdnZ2d@saix.net... >>> HI All >>> >>> I've looked at Keil uVIsion (Trial Version) as well as Asem51v1.3 (old >>> stuff). >>> >>> Any suggestions of the compiler software you're using to write/compile >>your >>> code and create hex files to upload to the ATMEL microcontrollers. >> >>I am using ImageCraft for the AVR. Cheap and good. Excellent support. > > Second vote here for Imagecraft. Been using it professionally for > several years.
Do ImageCraft make 8051 tools? -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org Designed for Microcontrollers. More than 7000 downloads per month. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:39:03 +0100, "FreeRTOS info"

> > >"Rich Webb" <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in message >news:ggl1b5dd7k9f31qs3mbn2su0qee7p0hete@4ax.com... >> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:25:44 +0200, "Meindert Sprang" >> <ms@NOJUNKcustomORSPAMware.nl> wrote: >> >>>"Lodewicus Maas" <wicus.maas@gmail.com> wrote in message >>>news:EeWdna48jIcnOi3XnZ2dnUVZ8hKdnZ2d@saix.net... >>>> HI All >>>> >>>> I've looked at Keil uVIsion (Trial Version) as well as Asem51v1.3 (old >>>> stuff). >>>> >>>> Any suggestions of the compiler software you're using to write/compile >>>your >>>> code and create hex files to upload to the ATMEL microcontrollers. >>> >>>I am using ImageCraft for the AVR. Cheap and good. Excellent support. >> >> Second vote here for Imagecraft. Been using it professionally for >> several years. > >Do ImageCraft make 8051 tools?
D'oh! for (i = 0; i < 100; ++i) { printf("Atmel is not one-to-one with AVRs!\n"); } -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
On 2009-09-16, Lodewicus Maas <wicus.maas@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI All > > I've looked at Keil uVIsion (Trial Version) as well as Asem51v1.3 (old > stuff). > > Any suggestions of the compiler software you're using to write/compile your > code and create hex files to upload to the ATMEL microcontrollers.
I prefer gcc. It's the compiler I use for 8 other processors, and I find it helps productivity to use the same set of tools on multiple projects even when the processor differs. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I am a jelly donut. at I am a jelly donut. visi.com
Lodewicus Maas wrote:
> HI All > > I've looked at Keil uVIsion (Trial Version) as well as Asem51v1.3 (old > stuff). > > Any suggestions of the compiler software you're using to > write/compile your code and create hex files to upload to the ATMEL > microcontrollers. I > would rather review a few other options, than to invest in the Keil > software, only to discover afterwards that there are maybe better tools > for the job > > (Apologies for my tenses/grammar - English is my second language) > > Kind Regards >
The Keil tools are an excellent choice for 8051 development. In particular their simulator is really good. Allows device specific settings, so you can simulate the I/O on your chip. You can also have it use your PC serial port as the serial connection to the simulation. -- Scott Validated Software Lafayette, CO __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4430 (20090916) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com
Is there a GCC for the 8051? SDCC yes, GCC, as far as I know, no. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org Designed for Microcontrollers. More than 7000 downloads per month. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems
On 2009-09-16, FreeRTOS info <noemail@mentioned.com> wrote:

>>> Any suggestions of the compiler software you're using to >>> write/compile your code and create hex files to upload to the >>> ATMEL microcontrollers. >> >> I prefer gcc. It's the compiler I use for 8 other processors, >> and I find it helps productivity to use the same set of tools >> on multiple projects even when the processor differs. > > Is there a GCC for the 8051? SDCC yes, GCC, as far as I know, no.
Oops. I didn't realize the OP meant 8051. I assumed he meant AVR, AVR32, or ARM. To answer you question, there isn't an 8051 backend for gcc. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm shaving!! at I'M SHAVING!! visi.com

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference