Where to rent logic analyzer near Toronto, Canada?

Started by Mel October 19, 2009
I'm having trouble with an EEPROM and an LCD module hooked to an
AT91SAM7S256.  Software is using the at91lib TWI_* routines that came with
an evaluation kit.  The program seems to be hanging up on incomplete I/O
with the LCD module, but I don't know why.  Analyzing the TWI (aka I2C)
protocol would either nail the problem or assure me that there was nothing
to see there.

Where could I get the use of an analyzer?

	Thanks,		Mel.

On Oct 19, 4:42=A0pm, Mel <mwil...@the-wire.com> wrote:
> Where could I get the use of an analyzer?
I've used www.electrorent.com for a number of pieces of lab equipment. They have a Mississauga office, but I'm not sure if they keep any local inventory. Regards, Steve

If you've got a 2 channel scope that allows you to get CSV files out, then a little bit of quick code can decode I2C prety easily. Otherwise I've been pretty pleased with the Intronix LA1034 at http://www.pctestinstruments.com/ For south of $400, you'll probably be hard pressed to rent something any cheaper. -- Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology Email address is currently out of order
Rob Gaddi wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:42:37 -0400 > Mel <mwilson@the-wire.com> wrote: > >> I'm having trouble with an EEPROM and an LCD module hooked to an >> AT91SAM7S256. Software is using the at91lib TWI_* routines that came >> with an evaluation kit. The program seems to be hanging up on >> incomplete I/O with the LCD module, but I don't know why. Analyzing >> the TWI (aka I2C) protocol would either nail the problem or assure me >> that there was nothing to see there. >> >> Where could I get the use of an analyzer?
> If you've got a 2 channel scope that allows you to get CSV files out, > then a little bit of quick code can decode I2C prety easily.
I do, in fact have one of those USB pods - DSO-2250 -- that does that. I've never used the feature yet, might have been the last thing I thought of.
> Otherwise > I've been pretty pleased with the Intronix LA1034 at > http://www.pctestinstruments.com/ For south of $400, you'll probably > be hard pressed to rent something any cheaper.
Saelig has a ByteMaster LAD-16128U, 16 channel -- about half the capability for about 3/4 the price. I like the looks, but shipping becomes a major part of the cost, esp. once the border-crossing charge gets tacked on. Many Thanks, Mel.
steve_schefter@hotmail.com wrote:

> On Oct 19, 4:42 pm, Mel <mwil...@the-wire.com> wrote: >> Where could I get the use of an analyzer? > > I've used www.electrorent.com for a number of pieces of lab > equipment. They have a Mississauga office, but I'm > not sure if they keep any local inventory.
Their web page is a learning curve all by itself. Thanks. I'll follow that up. Mel.

[...]

Consider also the DigiView DV1-100 http://www.tech-tools.com/dv_main.htm - it has much more memory (but a simpler input circuitry). Oliver -- Oliver Betz, Munich despammed.com might be broken, use Reply-To:
Mel wrote:

> I'm having trouble with an EEPROM and an LCD module hooked to an > AT91SAM7S256. Software is using the at91lib TWI_* routines that came with > an evaluation kit. The program seems to be hanging up on incomplete I/O > with the LCD module, but I don't know why. Analyzing the TWI (aka I2C) > protocol would either nail the problem or assure me that there was nothing > to see there. > > Where could I get the use of an analyzer? > > Thanks, Mel.
Firstly, you didn't say which LCD module and EEPROM. Doing so might have got a wider response already. Secondly, Logic Analysers are expensive to own and hire so doing the job without is really a very worthwhile skill that more should learn to cultivate. If these are serial devices I would expect to see the traces on a scope easily enough. Have you got one that can capture a segment of data from pre- trigger point to post-trigger point (Fluke and Tektronix both do a suitable type). Such a scope will allow you to scroll back through the problem zone to see what was happening in detail. Also learn to instrument the code (toggle a pin with the idle task or something) so that you can pick up points of failure. -- ******************************************************************** Paul E. Bennett...............<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk> Forth based HIDECS Consultancy Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979 Going Forth Safely ..... EBA. www.electric-boat-association.org.uk.. ********************************************************************
I've been looking for a good oscilloscope front end for a PC, but I
haven't found anything I think is worth the price.  There are a few
units that can do both scope and logic analyzer which would be ideal
for me, two channels of analog and 16 to 32 channels of digital.  Can
anyone recommend something in this line?

Rick

Mel wrote:
> I'm having trouble with an EEPROM and an LCD module hooked to an > AT91SAM7S256. Software is using the at91lib TWI_* routines that came with > an evaluation kit. The program seems to be hanging up on incomplete I/O > with the LCD module, but I don't know why. Analyzing the TWI (aka I2C) > protocol would either nail the problem or assure me that there was nothing > to see there. > > Where could I get the use of an analyzer? > > Thanks, Mel. >
On the basis that you'll almost definately need it again, renting is a bad investment and just dead money. You could buy a good used la on ebay for a fraction of what it would cost you to rent for a month, or even from a dealer. Depending on speed requiremnts, an HP 16xx series might be enough, or better still, one of the system type HP16500 or 16700 series. The latter were 25 to 50k $ new and more or less last forever... regards, Chris
Mel wrote:
> I'm having trouble with an EEPROM and an LCD module hooked to an > AT91SAM7S256. Software is using the at91lib TWI_* routines that came > with > an evaluation kit. The program seems to be hanging up on incomplete > I/O > with the LCD module, but I don't know why. Analyzing the TWI (aka > I2C) > protocol would either nail the problem or assure me that there was > nothing > to see there. > > Where could I get the use of an analyzer? > > Thanks, Mel. >
Yikes, buy, don't rent. We have a DigiView from Tech-Tools that we love. $500 at http://www.tech-tools.com/dv_main.htm. This is phenominal logic analyzer. Does data interpretation and lots more. -- Scott Validated Software Lafayette, CO __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4533 (20091022) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference