That new Atmel Tiny4

Started by Stefan Arentz December 17, 2009
Leon wrote:
> On 18 Dec, 02:18, Stefan Arentz <ste...@keizer.soze.com> wrote: >> I'm trying to get my hands on the new 6-pin SOT-23 Tiny controllers >> that were recently announced. But I can't find them anywhere. This is >> for hobby use so I just want a small bunch of them. >> >> Has anyone been able to get them at all? I wonder if they have >> actually been released. >> >> S. > > There has been a lot of discussion about them on AVR Freaks. Even the > Tiny10 which was touted months ago isn't officially available yet, > although one or two people have been able to get hold of a few > samples. There doesn't appear to be any programming or debugging > support for them yet in AVR Studio, but someone has manged to build > his own programmer and write some software for it. > > Leon >
I have some samples of the Tiny10 from Arrow, and Farnell claim they will have stock on 15th Jan 2010, otherwise everyone is quoting 7 weeks lead time for a reel of 5K. I'm struggling to find a means of programming them in-circuit at the moment though. Anyone know of a third party programmer which will do this? Regards Martin
On 18 Dec, 13:38, MartinWalton <mart...@carallon.com> wrote:
> Leon wrote: > > On 18 Dec, 02:18, Stefan Arentz <ste...@keizer.soze.com> wrote: > >> I'm trying to get my hands on the new 6-pin SOT-23 Tiny controllers > >> that were recently announced. But I can't find them anywhere. This is > >> for hobby use so I just want a small bunch of them. > > >> Has anyone been able to get them at all? I wonder if they have > >> actually been released. > > >> =A0S. > > > There has been a lot of discussion about them on AVR Freaks. Even the > > Tiny10 which was touted months ago isn't officially available yet, > > although one or two people have been able to get hold of a few > > samples. There doesn't appear to be any programming or debugging > > support for them yet in AVR Studio, but someone has manged to build > > his own programmer and write some software for it. > > > Leon > > I have some samples of the Tiny10 from Arrow, and Farnell claim they > will have stock on 15th Jan 2010, otherwise everyone is quoting 7 weeks > lead time for a reel of 5K. > > I'm struggling to find a means of programming them in-circuit at the > moment though. =A0Anyone know of a third party programmer which will do t=
his?
> > Regards > > Martin
You will have to build your own programmer, as I said previously. See AVR Freaks. Leon
">
> Availability at Digikey (not that I buy them there, but it is an > important indicator) and Mouser. ATTiny10 is qty 0's at Digikey, > non-stock at Mouser. Reliable, programmable brown-out detect and POR, > internal ring osc with 2-5% over temp, small eeprom,
Where's the usable eeprom then ????
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:35:32 -0800, Jon Kirwan <jonk@infinitefactors.org> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 03:18:37 +0100, Stefan Arentz ><stefan@keizer.soze.com> wrote: > >>I'm trying to get my hands on the new 6-pin SOT-23 Tiny controllers >>that were recently announced. But I can't find them anywhere. This is >>for hobby use so I just want a small bunch of them. >> >>Has anyone been able to get them at all? I wonder if they have >>actually been released. > >Yo, what!?!? SOT-23-6 8-bit micros?? Where?
Microchip have had SOT23 MCUs for ages.... PIC10F
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 21:06:46 -0000, "TTman" <someone.pc@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> >"> >> Availability at Digikey (not that I buy them there, but it is an >> important indicator) and Mouser. ATTiny10 is qty 0's at Digikey, >> non-stock at Mouser. Reliable, programmable brown-out detect and POR, >> internal ring osc with 2-5% over temp, small eeprom, > >Where's the usable eeprom then ????
I didn't say there was any. You may have thought I was talking about the part, when I was actually stating what I'd like to have in a SOT23-6 micro. Different thing. Jon
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:34:46 +0000, Mike Harrison
<mike@whitewing.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:35:32 -0800, Jon Kirwan <jonk@infinitefactors.org> wrote: > >>On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 03:18:37 +0100, Stefan Arentz >><stefan@keizer.soze.com> wrote: >> >>>I'm trying to get my hands on the new 6-pin SOT-23 Tiny controllers >>>that were recently announced. But I can't find them anywhere. This is >>>for hobby use so I just want a small bunch of them. >>> >>>Has anyone been able to get them at all? I wonder if they have >>>actually been released. >> >>Yo, what!?!? SOT-23-6 8-bit micros?? Where? > >Microchip have had SOT23 MCUs for ages.... PIC10F
Yeah. Not with brown out. :( Jon
Jon Kirwan skrev 2009-12-18 09:55:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 00:03:05 -0600, "RockyG"<RobertGush@gmail.com> > wrote: > > >>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:35:32 -0800, Jon Kirwan >>> <jonk@infinitefactors.org> wrote: >>> >>> >> <snip> >> >>>> Yo, what!?!? SOT-23-6 8-bit micros?? Where? I'll consider them even >>>> if they are from Atmel! I'm off to go look..... >>>> >>> Hmm. Never mind. I forgot. I looked at that 4MB datasheet on Nov. >>> 24th, this year. And wasn't able to find what I wanted. >>> >> For interest, what feature were you looking for? >> > Availability at Digikey (not that I buy them there, but it is an > important indicator) and Mouser. ATTiny10 is qty 0's at Digikey, > non-stock at Mouser.
Probably to new, but that will change
> Reliable, programmable brown-out detect and POR, >
There is a POR, and a BOD that can either be programmed to generate an interrupt, or a reset, but it is not very configurable, and not fully documented in the last datasheet. min typ max Trigger level VLM1L 1.1 1.4 1.6V Trigger level VLM1H 1.4 1.6 1.8 Trigger level VLM2 2.0 2.5 2.7 Trigger level VLM3 3.2 3.7 4.5
> internal ring osc with 2-5% over temp,
R/C oscillator, same as on other AVRs
> small eeprom,
No EEPROM!
> comparator, and bandgap
Comparator yes, No bandgap!, references vs VCC
> -- adc as an option instead of the comparator,
ADC
> 5.5V down to > maybe 2V operation (eeprom, included),
Yes 1.8V - 5.5V, Can only be programmed at 5V though.
> 512-1kb flash,
Yes ATtiny4/5 = 512, ATtiny9/10 = 1kB
> 32+ bytes ram, >
Yes
> 50 cents in 100's,
No clue
> good hobby-level programming toolset at low cost, >
TBD, they use a reduced core with only the 16 upper registers. No instructions to access flash directly, but flash is also mapped into dataspace at 0x4000. Cannot write to flash so no EEPROM emulation. Think that may make things a little difficult for existing compilers. Codevision may be the first to support.
> code protection _not_ needed,
> SOT-23-6,
Yes
> -20C to 85C temp range, >
Yes
> internal programmable pullup and pulldown at roughly 22k ohm per I/O > pin (not weak 100k+) with active high/low drive available, 10mA sink, > 5mA source per pin or better....
20-50 kOhm 10 mA sink at 3 Volt, less at 1.8V
> did I mention a timer,
Yes, 16 bit timer.
> sleepcapability,
Yes
> wakeup on pin change,
Yes
200 uA @ 1 MHz & 1.8V
> Actually, it's the BOR and POR that are more crucial.
When the internal BOD triggers, the CPU can be reset and the I/Os become an input. By adding an external pulldown resistor, you can assert a reset. when the Brown-Out occurs. If you trigger an interrupt, the resistor is not needed.
> I like these > for specialized power-on reset and brown-out chips for other micros > which don't have the brown-out built in. I often want to include a > manual switch for resetting the board, as well. The _many_ SOT-23s > out there for this kind of purpose do _not_ include the programmable > brown-out nor the ability to store some info in eeprom, for example, > and I want it all in one at similar price and size. I don't want to > buy 10 boxes of almost-the-same chips. Rather just program up what I > want from a single part number. > > Jon >
Lack of EEPROM is the main issue here. -- Best Regards Ulf Samuelsson These are my own personal opinions, which may or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
MartinWalton skrev 2009-12-18 14:38:
> Leon wrote: >> On 18 Dec, 02:18, Stefan Arentz <ste...@keizer.soze.com> wrote: >>> I'm trying to get my hands on the new 6-pin SOT-23 Tiny controllers >>> that were recently announced. But I can't find them anywhere. This is >>> for hobby use so I just want a small bunch of them. >>> >>> Has anyone been able to get them at all? I wonder if they have >>> actually been released. >>> >>> S. >> >> There has been a lot of discussion about them on AVR Freaks. Even the >> Tiny10 which was touted months ago isn't officially available yet, >> although one or two people have been able to get hold of a few >> samples. There doesn't appear to be any programming or debugging >> support for them yet in AVR Studio, but someone has manged to build >> his own programmer and write some software for it. >> >> Leon >> > > I have some samples of the Tiny10 from Arrow, and Farnell claim they > will have stock on 15th Jan 2010, otherwise everyone is quoting 7 > weeks lead time for a reel of 5K. > > I'm struggling to find a means of programming them in-circuit at the > moment though. Anyone know of a third party programmer which will do > this? >
STK600 with new ATTINY10 topcard is what you can use now for development. You can obviously connect the ISP header to your target instead. Just have to make sure you have the 5V. AVR ISP Mk II and/or AVR Dragon with upgraded firmware will be available early next year.
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 23:51:02 +0100, Ulf Samuelsson <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com>
wrote:

>Jon Kirwan skrev 2009-12-18 09:55: >> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 00:03:05 -0600, "RockyG"<RobertGush@gmail.com> >> wrote: >> >> >>>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:35:32 -0800, Jon Kirwan >>>> <jonk@infinitefactors.org> wrote: >>>> >>>> >>> <snip> >>> >>>>> Yo, what!?!? SOT-23-6 8-bit micros?? Where? I'll consider them even >>>>> if they are from Atmel! I'm off to go look..... >>>>> >>>> Hmm. Never mind. I forgot. I looked at that 4MB datasheet on Nov. >>>> 24th, this year. And wasn't able to find what I wanted. >>>> >>> For interest, what feature were you looking for? >>> >> Availability at Digikey (not that I buy them there, but it is an >> important indicator) and Mouser. ATTiny10 is qty 0's at Digikey, >> non-stock at Mouser. >Probably to new, but that will change > >> Reliable, programmable brown-out detect and POR, >> >There is a POR, and a BOD that can either be programmed to generate >an interrupt, or a reset, but it is not very configurable, >and not fully documented in the last datasheet. > > min typ max >Trigger level VLM1L 1.1 1.4 1.6V >Trigger level VLM1H 1.4 1.6 1.8 >Trigger level VLM2 2.0 2.5 2.7 >Trigger level VLM3 3.2 3.7 4.5 > > >> internal ring osc with 2-5% over temp, >R/C oscillator, same as on other AVRs >> small eeprom, >No EEPROM! >> comparator, and bandgap >Comparator yes, >No bandgap!, references vs VCC > >> -- adc as an option instead of the comparator, >ADC >> 5.5V down to >> maybe 2V operation (eeprom, included), >Yes 1.8V - 5.5V, Can only be programmed at 5V though. >> 512-1kb flash, >Yes ATtiny4/5 = 512, ATtiny9/10 = 1kB >> 32+ bytes ram, >> >Yes >> 50 cents in 100's, >No clue >> good hobby-level programming toolset at low cost, >> >TBD, they use a reduced core with only the 16 upper registers. >No instructions to access flash directly, but flash is also mapped into >dataspace at 0x4000. >Cannot write to flash so no EEPROM emulation. >Think that may make things a little difficult for existing compilers. >Codevision may be the first to support. > >> code protection _not_ needed, > >> SOT-23-6, >Yes >> -20C to 85C temp range, >> >Yes >> internal programmable pullup and pulldown at roughly 22k ohm per I/O >> pin (not weak 100k+) with active high/low drive available, 10mA sink, >> 5mA source per pin or better.... >20-50 kOhm >10 mA sink at 3 Volt, less at 1.8V > >> did I mention a timer, >Yes, 16 bit timer. >> sleepcapability, >Yes >> wakeup on pin change, > >Yes >> .... and very low power? >> >200 uA @ 1 MHz & 1.8V > >> Actually, it's the BOR and POR that are more crucial. >When the internal BOD triggers, the CPU can be reset and the I/Os become >an input. > >By adding an external pulldown resistor, you can assert a reset. when >the Brown-Out occurs. >If you trigger an interrupt, the resistor is not needed. > >> I like these >> for specialized power-on reset and brown-out chips for other micros >> which don't have the brown-out built in. I often want to include a >> manual switch for resetting the board, as well. The _many_ SOT-23s >> out there for this kind of purpose do _not_ include the programmable >> brown-out nor the ability to store some info in eeprom, for example, >> and I want it all in one at similar price and size. I don't want to >> buy 10 boxes of almost-the-same chips. Rather just program up what I >> want from a single part number. >> >> Jon > >Lack of EEPROM is the main issue here.
Lack of presence at Digikey and Mouser, as well. And the lack of a bandgap -- no, Vcc won't do. But I appreciate very much your other replies -- particularly on the BOR, which I will look at with your comments in mind. Since the flash cannot be written and therefore no eeprom emulation and no eeprom, you are right that's another issue. But... I think I can live with the problem if that were the only one. Jon
wrote:

>There is a POR, and a BOD that can either be programmed to generate >an interrupt, or a reset, but it is not very configurable, >and not fully documented in the last datasheet. > > min typ max >Trigger level VLM1L 1.1 1.4 1.6V >Trigger level VLM1H 1.4 1.6 1.8 >Trigger level VLM2 2.0 2.5 2.7 >Trigger level VLM3 3.2 3.7 4.5
I'm looking at 8127C-AVR-10/09 and on page 28 I find that there is "vcc monitoring" and a VLM circuit. But for gosh sake that darned thing sucks power -- page 146, curve on the page's bottom. Cripes. Jon

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference