looking for low-cost WiFi modules

Started by Johnson January 25, 2010
We are looking a low-cost WiFi modules for our embedded ARM9-based
products. The module is better to have everything inside, so we just to
connect and use it as a blackbox. Anyway we are open to modify our
firmware to provide essential supports for this WiFi module. Could
anybody recommend one?

Thanks.

Johnson

> We are looking a low-cost WiFi modules for our embedded ARM9-based > products. The module is better to have everything inside, so we just to > connect and use it as a blackbox. Anyway we are open to modify our > firmware to provide essential supports for this WiFi module. Could anybody > recommend one?
Lantronix makes/sells the WiPort and others which meet all your stated requirements. JJS --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
Thank you. It really helps.

"John Speth" <johnspeth@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > We are looking a low-cost WiFi modules for our embedded ARM9-based > > products. The module is better to have everything inside, so we just to > > connect and use it as a blackbox. Anyway we are open to modify our > > firmware to provide essential supports for this WiFi module. Could
anybody
> > recommend one? > > Lantronix makes/sells the WiPort and others which meet all your stated > requirements.
Except the "low-cost" bit.... Meindert
It is low cost, compared to a higher cost. The cost target wasn't stated in absolute terms. So I was right. :) JJS --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
> absolute terms. So I was right. :)
Ok ok..... but compared to an off the shelf Wifi router, these modules aren't low cost and I have a hard time telling my customers why the end user price of a Wifi enabled device I produce is 10 times the price of an off the shelf router. Meindert
"John Speth" <johnspeth@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> We are looking a low-cost WiFi modules for our embedded ARM9-based >> products. The module is better to have everything inside, so we just to >> connect and use it as a blackbox. Anyway we are open to modify our >> firmware to provide essential supports for this WiFi module. Could >> anybody recommend one? >
ZeroG WiFi just puchased by Microchip?
Yes. I agree with you. Price is the #1 problem with anything from Lantronix. JJS --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
Johnson <gpsabove@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are looking a low-cost WiFi modules for our embedded ARM9-based > products. The module is better to have everything inside, so we just to > connect and use it as a blackbox. Anyway we are open to modify our > firmware to provide essential supports for this WiFi module. Could > anybody recommend one?
I'm guessing you want to write minimal software, but another option might be a USB port, a USB wifi dongle, and a wifi stack. Might work out cheaper if you have the volume to make the software work worthwhile. Theo

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference