Counterfeit ATmega328s

Started by Don McKenzie April 23, 2010
ATmega Slugs

Sparkfun just got lumbered with counterfeit ATmega328s:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=350

Makes for interesting reading. Check out the comments also.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
just followed through a little more: http://www.hkinventory.com/public/ReportedCompanyDetail.asp?ID=710 name of the rip off company is: Shenzhen Henglian Electronics Co. Cheers Don... -- Don McKenzie Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/email Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam These products will reduce in price by 5% every month: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
On 23 Apr, 21:50, Don McKenzie <5...@2.5A> wrote:
> ATmega Slugs > > Sparkfun just got lumbered with counterfeit ATmega328s:http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=350 > > Makes for interesting reading. Check out the comments also.
"Sparkfun sells counterfeit ICs" isn't a headline I would like to see if I was running a company... :) Surprisingly, some people actually seem to be buying them...
Bob wrote:

> "Sparkfun sells counterfeit ICs" isn't a headline I would like to see > if I was running a company... :) > > Surprisingly, some people actually seem to be buying them...
Yes, of course: buy it for $0.50 and sell it for $5.00 on eBay :-) But the comments clarifies it: Sparkfun was very naive in thinking it could be used for soldering training and removed it very fast from their shop. -- Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de http://www.frank-buss.de, http://www.it4-systems.de
On 4/24/2010 7:00 PM, Frank Buss wrote:
> Bob wrote: > >> "Sparkfun sells counterfeit ICs" isn't a headline I would like to see >> if I was running a company... :) >> >> Surprisingly, some people actually seem to be buying them... > > Yes, of course: buy it for $0.50 and sell it for $5.00 on eBay :-) > But the comments clarifies it: Sparkfun was very naive in thinking it could > be used for soldering training and removed it very fast from their shop. >
Yeah probably no good for solder training either, probably won't tin properly etc
"Ray" <ray@mrjones.id.au> wrote in message
> On 4/24/2010 7:00 PM, Frank Buss wrote: >> Bob wrote: >> >>> "Sparkfun sells counterfeit ICs" isn't a headline I would like to see >>> if I was running a company... :) >>> >>> Surprisingly, some people actually seem to be buying them... >> >> Yes, of course: buy it for $0.50 and sell it for $5.00 on eBay :-) >> But the comments clarifies it: Sparkfun was very naive in thinking it >> could >> be used for soldering training and removed it very fast from their shop. >> > Yeah probably no good for solder training either, probably won't tin > properly etc
It is a big problem in the industry and the longer the lead times get, the more the counterfeiters benefit
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:29:45 +1000, Ray <ray@mrjones.id.au> wrote:

>Yeah probably no good for solder training either, probably won't tin >properly etc
They got that just like good components then... -- Geo
"Bill Naylor" <rubbish@ectronworks.co.uk> wrote

> >"Ray" <ray@mrjones.id.au> wrote in message >news:4bd370e0$0$8780$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com... >> On 4/24/2010 7:00 PM, Frank Buss wrote: >>> Bob wrote: >>> >>>> "Sparkfun sells counterfeit ICs" isn't a headline I would like to see >>>> if I was running a company... :) >>>> >>>> Surprisingly, some people actually seem to be buying them... >>> >>> Yes, of course: buy it for $0.50 and sell it for $5.00 on eBay :-) >>> But the comments clarifies it: Sparkfun was very naive in thinking it >>> could >>> be used for soldering training and removed it very fast from their shop. >>> >> Yeah probably no good for solder training either, probably won't tin >> properly etc > >It is a big problem in the industry and the longer the lead times get, the >more the counterfeiters benefit >
It is a HUGE problem. Hitachi (Renesas) suffer from it too. It is usually visually obvious by looking at the package. The people doing this are pretty stupid.
Don McKenzie wrote:
> > ATmega Slugs > > Sparkfun just got lumbered with counterfeit ATmega328s: > http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=350 > > Makes for interesting reading. Check out the comments also. > > Cheers Don...
Sparkfun needs to raise hell over this. They need to contact Atmel, the office of the U.S. Trade Representative, and the trade attache of the Embassy of China. Point out how counterfeiting invites trade sanctions. Since the USTR is currently pushing the "Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement", ask what sanctions would be appropriate here. For example, seizing all shipments into the US from that vendor might be appropriate. John Nagle
John Nagle wrote:
> Don McKenzie wrote: >> >> ATmega Slugs >> >> Sparkfun just got lumbered with counterfeit ATmega328s: >> http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=350 >> >> Makes for interesting reading. Check out the comments also. >> >> Cheers Don... > > Sparkfun needs to raise hell over this. They need to contact > Atmel, the office of the U.S. Trade Representative, and the trade > attache of the Embassy of China. Point out how counterfeiting > invites trade sanctions. Since the USTR is currently pushing > the "Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement", ask what sanctions > would be appropriate here. For example, seizing all shipments into > the US from that vendor might be appropriate.
I agree 100% John, Quoting SF: "We were in a pinch and didn't vet the supplier like we should have. Live and learn." Doesn't sound like SK may be going to pursue this, YET THEY MUST. We as customers, are paying for it after all. A well known Atmel employee already reads and posts to comp.robotics.misc, so I would think that Atmel will be aware by now. Cheers Don... -- Don McKenzie Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/email Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam These products will reduce in price by 5% every month: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html

Memfault Beyond the Launch