Macintosh OS9 FTDI drivers?

Started by Dennis Clark June 22, 2004
Hi all,

  I'm trying to get a product working that uses the FTDI FT232BM chipset
to get USR/Serial translation.  The device works fine with Windows drivers
but not with the Mac drivers.  Does anyone out there have any experience
with the FTDI products and especially with Macintosh integrations that
they would like to share?

Thanks for listening,
DLC
--
* Dennis Clark         dlc@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
* "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill 2003 *
*

============================================================================ I, too, am interested in people's experience with the FT232BM and drivers because we have a project that is about to produce as board with it on. -- Peter Peter.Dickerson (at) ukonline (dot) co (dot) uk
"Peter Dickerson" <first{dot}surname@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

> I, too, am interested in people's experience with the FT232BM and drivers > because we have a project that is about to produce as board with it on.
Warning: this answer is off-by-one! We did try the FTDI drivers in OS X. A no-name RS-232-USB-converter worked fine. When replaced by a dual converter (two ports in the same package) with a FTDI chip inside, everything worked still fine without any changes in drivers. This covers only the basic functionality, though. And only OS X, no idea about -1. Also, no idea about the special modes of FT2232, etc. Just the plain moving of async bits through RD/TD. It was rather surprising to notice that exactly the same source code (and even Makefile!) can be used to control the serial port in Windows (Cygwin), Linux, and OS X. Only the port names change. - Ville -- Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)
All,

Status Report - For those interested in getting a generic USB connection
to work on a Mac:

  I've found that the FTDI drivers for the FT232BM work fine.  The problem
is with "black box" legacy software that expects the port to be "A" for
modem and "B" for printer.  This driver registers as "U".  Hacking the
program to set to "U" works BUT, I don't have anything but test software,
so this doesn't fix the problem.

  I'm getting closer though (Thanks Ward!)

DLC