want to start with an something like uCLinux, because of a limited
students budgets...

Please name some rtos or point me to some app notes, white papers or
so.

Thanks in advance,

Heiko.
heiko_greiner@hotmail.com wrote in

I believe VxWorks can do this. See www.windriver.com -- - Mark -> --

IIRC, somebody wrote an ELF loader for eCos <http://sources.redhat.com/ecos> <http://www.ecoscentric.com/> It requires a 32-bit uC, so it's not going to run on an HCS12 or C16x. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! KARL MALDEN'S NOSE at just won an ACADEMY AWARD!! visi.com
On 2004-06-18, Mark A. Odell <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> i'm wondering if there is an (rt)os for uC (i.e. HCS12, >> C16x,...) that executes tasks, that can be loaded at runtime. >> [...] I don't want to start with an something like uCLinux, >> because of a limited students budgets... > > I believe VxWorks can do this. See www.windriver.com
VxWorks is never going to run on an HCS12 or C16x, and for somebody who can't afford uCLinux, it's also going to be darned expensive. :) -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. the HIGHWAY is at made out of LIME JELLO and visi.com my HONDA is a barbequed OYSTER! Yum!
Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote in

>>> i'm wondering if there is an (rt)os for uC (i.e. HCS12, >>> C16x,...) that executes tasks, that can be loaded at runtime. >>> [...] I don't want to start with an something like uCLinux, >>> because of a limited students budgets... >> >> I believe VxWorks can do this. See www.windriver.com > > VxWorks is never going to run on an HCS12 or C16x, and for > somebody who can't afford uCLinux, it's also going to be darned > expensive. :)
You know it's sad, really, how I cannot read postings completely. Thanks for the correction. -- - Mark -> --
On 2004-06-18, Mark A. Odell <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
Unfortunately for the OP, I don't think there is going to be much of anything smaller/cheaper than uCLinux or vxWorks with dynamic loading -- that tends to be a "big system" feature only found on 32-bit systems with several MB of RAM. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! My vaseline is at RUNNING... visi.com
heiko_greiner@hotmail.com wrote in

> Hi, > > i'm wondering if there is an (rt)os for uC (i.e. HCS12, C16x,...) that > executes tasks, that can be loaded at runtime. In my mind, there is > the idea, that there is a central uC with "a lot of binary code" that > can be swaped in a (can-, serial-) network between some uC. I don't > want to start with an something like uCLinux, because of a limited > students budgets... > > Please name some rtos or point me to some app notes, white papers or > so. > > Thanks in advance, > > Heiko.
Would it make sense to keep this *much* simpler and build a simple interpreter task that can execute small scripts downloaded to the device? That way you can have the effect of downloadable programs without the complication of dynamic tasks, and with less chance of erroneous student programs causing the system in ways that are strange, wonderful and difficult to debug. I *guess* something like a p-code interpreter may fit onto your target system, in which case you can use readily available compilers to generate applications. Peter.
heiko_greiner@hotmail.com wrote in

> Hi, > > i'm wondering if there is an (rt)os for uC (i.e. HCS12, C16x,...) that > executes tasks, that can be loaded at runtime. In my mind, there is > the idea, that there is a central uC with "a lot of binary code" that > can be swaped in a (can-, serial-) network between some uC. I don't > want to start with an something like uCLinux, because of a limited > students budgets... > > Please name some rtos or point me to some app notes, white papers or > so. > > Thanks in advance, > > Heiko.
Would it make sense to keep this *much* simpler and build a simple interpreter task that can execute small scripts downloaded to the device? That way you can have the effect of downloadable programs without the complication of dynamic tasks, and with less chance of erroneous student programs causing the system to fail in ways that are strange, wonderful and difficult to debug. I *guess* something like a p-code interpreter may fit onto your target system, in which case you can use readily available compilers to generate applications. Peter.
Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2004-06-18, Mark A. Odell <odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote: > > >>>>>i'm wondering if there is an (rt)os for uC (i.e. HCS12, >>>>>C16x,...) that executes tasks, that can be loaded at runtime. >>>>>[...] I don't want to start with an something like uCLinux, >>>>>because of a limited students budgets... >>>> >>>>I believe VxWorks can do this. See www.windriver.com >>> >>>VxWorks is never going to run on an HCS12 or C16x, and for >>>somebody who can't afford uCLinux, it's also going to be darned >>>expensive. :) >> >>You know it's sad, really, how I cannot read postings >>completely. Thanks for the correction. > > > Unfortunately for the OP, I don't think there is going to be > much of anything smaller/cheaper than uCLinux or vxWorks with > dynamic loading -- that tends to be a "big system" feature only > found on 32-bit systems with several MB of RAM. >
But it doesn't need to be. It is a fairly simple task to do this on any micro that can execute code from RAM. I used this technique on a HC05 around 1990, as part of a security system, and use a similar technique now on MSP430's to up date software/implement security functions etc. Al

Sciopta (www.sciopta.(de|com)) is fully dynamic even for 16bit machines (including M16C, MSP430, HC(S)12). -- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@epost.de instead !