PC104 on a mini race car

Started by Darth August 29, 2010
Hey guys, first time posting here. I'm new to PC104. At uni we are building
a mini electric race car and the team decided to use a PC104 to run
everything including data acquisition (don't know why they opted for a
ground up system when there were packages available for noobs)

We are using two brush less DC motors integrated with 2 inverters (DC to 3
phase AC) and IGBT switch. The controller is:
Advantech PC/104
Model: PCM-3380F-M0A2E
Processor: Celeron M 600MHz

Lots of sensors such as wheel speed, motor speed/torque, temperature,
current, voltage.

My question here is that can we install a windows operating system such as
XP in the PC/104 and and use that as our interface?

Also, what software is needed for programming the board once the OS is
installed? So far we've a stack of about 6 boards for motors, DAQ,
inverters etc.

The DAQ board has a 1GB card, is it possible to save data from sensors on
the car to the 1GB card and transmit it simultaneiusly to a remote pc using
Xbee?

Appreciate any advice/suggestions as we are running short of time and have
very limited knowledge of electronics. All parts have been purchased, its
just that we have to make it work!

Cheers

---------------------------------------
On Aug 29, 9:11=A0pm, "Darth" <theforce_vader@n_o_s_p_a_m.hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Appreciate any advice/suggestions as we are running short of time and hav=
> very limited knowledge of electronics. All parts have been purchased, its > just that we have to make it work!
I would argue that until you know what you are actually doing, it doesn't matter HOW much crap you have bought; you can't say you have "all parts" until you know "of what?". I do agree that catalogs are very exciting, but that's no excuse. You can run XP on the machine, of course. Whether you want to or not depends on the realtime requirements and how much work the acquisition card offloads. You should benchmark it, since you won't get a useful answer out of the vendors.
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 19:56:34 -0700 (PDT), larwe
<zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 29, 9:11&#4294967295;pm, "Darth" <theforce_vader@n_o_s_p_a_m.hotmail.com> >wrote: > >> Appreciate any advice/suggestions as we are running short of time and have >> very limited knowledge of electronics. All parts have been purchased, its >> just that we have to make it work! > >I would argue that until you know what you are actually doing, it >doesn't matter HOW much crap you have bought; you can't say you have >"all parts" until you know "of what?". I do agree that catalogs are >very exciting, but that's no excuse. ><snip>
Um. They may know it is "all parts" because (1) they are running short of time and cannot buy anything more without running completely out of time, and (2) they have no more money to buy anything else. Which may define "all parts" for all solutions in the set -- possibly a null set. ;) Jon
In article <EO6dnQdX-MndmObRnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
theforce_vader@n_o_s_p_a_m.hotmail.com says...
> > Hey guys, first time posting here. I'm new to PC104. At uni we are building > a mini electric race car and the team decided to use a PC104 to run > everything including data acquisition (don't know why they opted for a > ground up system when there were packages available for noobs) > > We are using two brush less DC motors integrated with 2 inverters (DC to 3 > phase AC) and IGBT switch. The controller is: > Advantech PC/104 > Model: PCM-3380F-M0A2E > Processor: Celeron M 600MHz > > Lots of sensors such as wheel speed, motor speed/torque, temperature, > current, voltage. > > My question here is that can we install a windows operating system such as > XP in the PC/104 and and use that as our interface? > > Also, what software is needed for programming the board once the OS is > installed? So far we've a stack of about 6 boards for motors, DAQ, > inverters etc. > > The DAQ board has a 1GB card, is it possible to save data from sensors on > the car to the 1GB card and transmit it simultaneiusly to a remote pc using > Xbee? > > Appreciate any advice/suggestions as we are running short of time and have > very limited knowledge of electronics. All parts have been purchased, its > just that we have to make it work! > > Cheers > > > > --------------------------------------- > Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
Using Windows for a control OS. You are nuts here. You need to put excess consideration to safety and reliability. Windows is not that OS. Windows also does not offer a predictable latency and schedulling model that you need for real time control like motor control and safety monitoring. You should really consider designing your own round robbin main executive dispatch loop to run something like this. -- -- Michael Karas Carousel Design Solutions http://www.carousel-design.com
Darth wrote:

> Hey guys, first time posting here. I'm new to PC104. At uni we are > building a mini electric race car and the team decided to use a PC104 to > run everything including data acquisition (don't know why they opted for a > ground up system when there were packages available for noobs) > > We are using two brush less DC motors integrated with 2 inverters (DC to 3 > phase AC) and IGBT switch. The controller is: > Advantech PC/104 > Model: PCM-3380F-M0A2E > Processor: Celeron M 600MHz > > Lots of sensors such as wheel speed, motor speed/torque, temperature, > current, voltage. > > My question here is that can we install a windows operating system such as > XP in the PC/104 and and use that as our interface? > > Also, what software is needed for programming the board once the OS is > installed? So far we've a stack of about 6 boards for motors, DAQ, > inverters etc. > > The DAQ board has a 1GB card, is it possible to save data from sensors on > the car to the 1GB card and transmit it simultaneiusly to a remote pc > using Xbee? > > Appreciate any advice/suggestions as we are running short of time and have > very limited knowledge of electronics. All parts have been purchased, its > just that we have to make it work! > > Cheers
I know you are still learning, but it is time to get real here. At the present time it is sounding like the other members of your "team" have the made the hardware choices and you are the software guy who will carry the can for failure if it doesn't work. Weren't you in on the organisation and selection of the hardware? Did the team do a proper evaluation prior to selection of the hardware or did they just browse from a catalogue for bits that could just plug together. Were the "noob" kits adequate or did they have short-comings? If I were the tutor marking your efforts, I would want to see some evidence that the choices you made had reasonable grounding logic behind them. Forget running Windows (of any flavour) as that will most definitely be so non-real time. Then sit down and really have a think and sketch out (in a mind-mapping sort of way) what you really do need in the system (function- wise). This diagram should include the user interactions with the system. Until you have done this you cannot be sure you have all the assets required. The system structure will start to show itself to you and you can assign the resources properly to each part. Test the adequacy of the design at all the steps to getting the best design structure. Then answer the safety questions. Like, if the processor is controlling the motor speed, what have you in place preventing the vehicle running away at an uncontrollable speed? I am sure you will start seeing more such questions too. Re-arrange your structure to accommodate the ansers to the safety questions and test adequacy of the design again. Consider that you may need to put in more than one processor (personally I usually configure a minimum of one processor per actuator). The processing load and safety aspects may be too much for one processor. Up-front design organisation is a more valuable commodity than even the most expensive super-fast processor. Quite often my designs are achieved with a collection of small, inexpensive, processors and peripherals. Those projects that have a GUI interface will tend to be done such that the GUI is on a Thin Client and has no way of impacting the normal safe operation of the rest of the system. -- ******************************************************************** Paul E. Bennett...............<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk> Forth based HIDECS Consultancy Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979 Going Forth Safely ..... EBA. www.electric-boat-association.org.uk.. ********************************************************************
> [...]
most
>expensive super-fast processor. Quite often my designs are achieved with a
>collection of small, inexpensive, processors and peripherals. Those
projects
>that have a GUI interface will tend to be done such that the GUI is on a >Thin Client and has no way of impacting the normal safe operation of the >rest of the system. > >-- >******************************************************************** >Paul E. Bennett...............<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk> >Forth based HIDECS Consultancy >Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 >Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979 >Going Forth Safely ..... EBA. www.electric-boat-association.org.uk.. >******************************************************************** > >Thanks for your reply guys. I was actually helping out with another part
of the car and have finished so thought I should lend a hand to the electrical side as they are struggling. I should also point out that we are all mechanical and automotive students and apart from me, everyone else in the team are working in this project as their final year thesis, i.e. suspension, steering, chassis etc. The parts were ordered at the start of the year by the person in charge of the electrical stuff and we are over the budget atm as batteries were over $12,000. Honestly, not sure how/why they decided to take this route. This is most of the parts: *40Ah, 3.7V Battery Cell (lots) *PC104 Board *PC104 PWM *Voltage Transducer *Current Transducer *Power Supply PC104 *IGBT *Resister *High Power Wire *Copper cable lug *Hall Effect Throttle Box So far, we've managed to get one motor spinning using matlab on a pc (simulink I think). Ideally, we would want both motors spinning while applying throttle (using a potentiometer). Can someone kindly tell me in the simplest form how we could achieve this? What I mean is how to make use of the PC104. Do we program it, or install a OS and put the program in there? What programming software to use? How to integrate the sensors? what is real-time? I hope I'm making sense. Please correct me if something is out of context. Once again, really appreciate any help. --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
Also, would this particular motor controller make things any easier:

http://curtisinstruments.com
ndex.cfm?fuseaction=ProductsGrid.ACMotorControllers

Model 1230

---------------------------------------
In comp.arch.embedded,
Darth <theforce_vader@n_o_s_p_a_m.hotmail.com> wrote:

> This is most of the parts: > *40Ah, 3.7V Battery Cell (lots)
Do you have a proper charger and battery management in place for these cells? -- Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail) Hummingbirds never remember the words to songs.
>In comp.arch.embedded, >Darth <theforce_vader@n_o_s_p_a_m.hotmail.com> wrote: > >> This is most of the parts: >> *40Ah, 3.7V Battery Cell (lots) > >Do you have a proper charger and battery management in place for these
cells?
> >-- >Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by
mail)
> >Hummingbirds never remember the words to songs. >
Charging the batteries has been taken care of but I'm not sure about the battery management you are referring to? Is that when its operating in the car? The electrical system summary shows the power supply connected to the controller unit. --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
On 30 Ago, 03:11, "Darth" <theforce_vader@n_o_s_p_a_m.hotmail.com>
wrote:

> My question here is that can we install a windows operating system such as > XP in the PC/104 and and use that as our interface?
forget win if you want to control the car using the PC/104, ou need something real-time. If you don't want to reinvent the wheel and have an "easy" dev environmnet try Linux RTAI (for example).
> Also, what software is needed for programming the board once the OS is > installed? So far we've a stack of about 6 boards for motors, DAQ, > inverters etc.
If you use Linux RTAI you can interface with Matlab/Simulink (and I think Scilab/Scicos too) and do all the programming there. Bye Jack

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference