Wireless that's "Fall off a log" easy?

Started by Tim Wescott October 11, 2010
Are there any wireless sub-systems that are just "fall off a log" easy
to integrate into an embedded system?

The ideal gizmo would go into an OEM product, wouldn't require the OEM
to mess with any certification issues, would make the product appear as
a serial device to a host computer via BlueTooth, would talk to it's
local embedded processor via serial, and would be plug and play.

The higher the data rate the better, up to about 100kbps or so.

Any such things out there?  Any that you have personal mileage with and
like or particularly dislike?  I'm being lazy and haven't even looked at
ads or done any web searches.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:09:33 -0700, Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote:

>Are there any wireless sub-systems that are just "fall off a log" easy >to integrate into an embedded system?
Sure. There are complete modules, complete with certs.
>The ideal gizmo would go into an OEM product, wouldn't require the OEM >to mess with any certification issues, would make the product appear as >a serial device to a host computer via BlueTooth, would talk to it's >local embedded processor via serial, and would be plug and play.
Sure. All available. You supply the $$.
Easy. This is a neat one with versions up to 2Mb (RSN?): http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/wireless-rf/rf-modules-solutions/802154-zigbee/Pages/5470562-SLE10-001.aspx
We use stuff from RFM/Cirronet. Nice, but rather expensive. http://www.rfm.com/products/oem_standalone.php
Take a look at the BT modules from Lairdtech: http://www.lairdtech.com/products/wireless-module/ I've used them for several years now in one of my products. The BT modules are certified and supplied with an extra sticker with all the necessary information. Put that sticker on the outside of your product and it makes that product certified. Meindert
I havent used this but take a look, UK based. http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/Toothpick_Bluetooth_Module.html Cheers
[ ... ] Nordic Semiconductor has a chip coming up any day now, but it's been like that for a while: <http://www.nordicsemi.com/index.cfm?obj=menu&act=displayMenu&men=83> I mention it because their 2.4GHz RF chips seem OK, so this might be too, someday. Mel.
<krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in message
> We use stuff from RFM/Cirronet. Nice, but rather expensive. > http://www.rfm.com/products/oem_standalone.php
...and you have to be careful that their competitors don't sue you if you use the modules outside of their originally licensed uses. :-)
On 10/12/2010 10:43 AM, Mel wrote:
> Tim Wescott wrote: >> The ideal gizmo would go into an OEM product, wouldn't require the OEM >> to mess with any certification issues, would make the product appear as >> a serial device to a host computer via BlueTooth, would talk to it's >> local embedded processor via serial, and would be plug and play. > [ ... ] > > Nordic Semiconductor has a chip coming up any day now, but it's been like > that for a while: > > <http://www.nordicsemi.com/index.cfm?obj=menu&act=displayMenu&men=83> > > I mention it because their 2.4GHz RF chips seem OK, so this might be too, > someday.
I'm specifically looking for a module that comes with certification, not a chip that'll cost me less if I buy 10000 of them a year and spend $1M on certification. Projected quantities are in the single digits/year; building from scratch would be beyond foolish. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" was written for you. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
Check www.rfm.com for "trc102 range test at 433.92mhz". It's an article
discussing low power, ie no certification required, operation. If I
remember correctly, the trc102 is no longer available, but the text is
educational.

Hul

Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 10:43 AM, Mel wrote: > > Tim Wescott wrote: > >> The ideal gizmo would go into an OEM product, wouldn't require the OEM > >> to mess with any certification issues, would make the product appear as > >> a serial device to a host computer via BlueTooth, would talk to it's > >> local embedded processor via serial, and would be plug and play. > > [ ... ] > > > > Nordic Semiconductor has a chip coming up any day now, but it's been like > > that for a while: > > > > <http://www.nordicsemi.com/index.cfm?obj=menu&act=displayMenu&men=83> > > > > I mention it because their 2.4GHz RF chips seem OK, so this might be too, > > someday.
> I'm specifically looking for a module that comes with certification, not > a chip that'll cost me less if I buy 10000 of them a year and spend $1M > on certification. Projected quantities are in the single digits/year; > building from scratch would be beyond foolish.
> --
> Tim Wescott > Wescott Design Services > http://www.wescottdesign.com
> Do you need to implement control loops in software? > "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" was written for you. > See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:47:03 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
<zapwireDASHgroups@yahoo.com> wrote:

><krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in message >news:ts67b693td6n95gagiugavl4u2r2i10gsm@4ax.com... >> We use stuff from RFM/Cirronet. Nice, but rather expensive. >> http://www.rfm.com/products/oem_standalone.php > >...and you have to be careful that their competitors don't sue you if you use >the modules outside of their originally licensed uses. :-)
Well, there is that. ;-) OTOH, I'm quite sure there is a way around the issue for the sufficiently motivated.
Mel wrote:
> Tim Wescott wrote: >> The ideal gizmo would go into an OEM product, wouldn't require the OEM >> to mess with any certification issues, would make the product appear as >> a serial device to a host computer via BlueTooth, would talk to it's >> local embedded processor via serial, and would be plug and play. > [ ... ] > > Nordic Semiconductor has a chip coming up any day now, but it's been like > that for a while: > > <http://www.nordicsemi.com/index.cfm?obj=menu&act=displayMenu&men=83> > > I mention it because their 2.4GHz RF chips seem OK, so this might be too, > someday. >
It doesn't say pre-certified though. Whether or not something is pre-certed makes a huge difference in project cost and time schedule. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/ "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. Use another domain or send PM.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference