Recommended FPGA Families & Tools?

Started by Chris Graham January 14, 2005
I'm just getting into FPGA design.  What are good FPGA vendors in terms of
good chips, good tools and good support?

Also, if you've used the Cypress PSoC mixed analog & digital chips & tools,
how did you find them?

- Chris

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:32:24 GMT, "Chris Graham" <chrisgr@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>I'm just getting into FPGA design. What are good FPGA vendors in terms of >good chips, good tools and good support?
Not claiming wide or deep knowledge of this subject but the Spartan 3 Starter Kit http://www.xilinx.com/products/spartan3/s3boards.htm is a pretty good value. Their Webpack software suite is on the CD with the starter kit or available as a (large-ish) download. Other good resources at http://www.fpga4fun.com/ and http://www.digilent.us/index.cfm. -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
The two major vendors in the market today are xilinx and altera who
produce roughly equivelent devices from simple pals to system on a chip
scale fpga'a with all the design/simulation software provided.
There are differences in the design of the fpga's between to the two
manufacturers and my opinion is that xilinx produce the more
sophisticated devices with features such as 18x18 hardware multipliers
,multiple i/o standards and core voltages as low as 1.2 volts they are
however corespondingly more expensive.Altera devices are similar but I
always get the feeling that they are always one step behind in
producing new features.Other manufacturers are firms like
Cypress,philips etc

Start here http://www.fpga-faq.com/ The two big vendors are Altera and Xilinx Altera www.altera.com free software quartus2 web edition Xilinx www.xilinx.com free software xilinx web pack xilinx based boards Xilinx Spartan3 starter kit with a 200K gate spartan3 fpga. US$99 Made by www.digilentinc.com who make addon boards including usb , ethernet, adc, other modules like Hbridges , breadboard, wirewrap boards etc www.xess.com also have boards (amoung many others) http://www.burched.biz/ http://www.fpga.org/links.html http://www.fpga4fun.com/links.html Alex Gibson
"Jezwold" <edad3000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> The two major vendors in the market today are xilinx and altera who > produce roughly equivelent devices from simple pals to system on a chip > scale fpga'a with all the design/simulation software provided. > There are differences in the design of the fpga's between to the two > manufacturers and my opinion is that xilinx produce the more > sophisticated devices with features such as 18x18 hardware multipliers > ,multiple i/o standards and core voltages as low as 1.2 volts they are > however corespondingly more expensive.Altera devices are similar but I > always get the feeling that they are always one step behind in > producing new features.Other manufacturers are firms like > Cypress,philips etc
philips ? Philips sold their cplds to xilinx, see coolrunner2 and xpla / coolrunner http://www.xilinx.com/cpld/ others include Actel , Atmel , Lattice , for a list of manufacturers http://dmoz.org/Computers/Hardware/Programmable_Logic/FPGA/Manufacturers/ Alex Gibson
While Xilinx and Altera are probably slated as the "two major vendors",
there are still very good offering from companies like Actel
(www.actel.com), QuickLogic (www.quicklogic.com), and Lattice
(www.lattice.com).

Each have their own postiive and negative attributes.  Each have their own
flavors of engineering boards.  Some have higher speed units (Actel offers
parts approaching 500MHz speeds), etc.

Dave

Jezwold wrote:

> The two major vendors in the market today are xilinx and altera who > produce roughly equivelent devices from simple pals to system on a chip > scale fpga'a with all the design/simulation software provided. > There are differences in the design of the fpga's between to the two > manufacturers and my opinion is that xilinx produce the more > sophisticated devices with features such as 18x18 hardware multipliers > ,multiple i/o standards and core voltages as low as 1.2 volts they are > however corespondingly more expensive.Altera devices are similar but I > always get the feeling that they are always one step behind in > producing new features.Other manufacturers are firms like > Cypress,philips etc >
The one that I know of that's really different is Actel, which produce FPGA's based on non-volatile memories, either EEPROM or anti-fuse (the others are all RAM). The non-volatile aspect gives an advantage for some applications because they are instant-on, unlike a RAM-based part which must be configured. They are also much more sensitive to the needs of the military/space/aviation customer. However, the design flow for an anti-fuse part becomes much more like an ASIC, with much greater attention being needed for verification because a boo-boo means burning and turning a chip, rather than just loading up a new configuration. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com
Did I saw philips? sorry Ive got them on my mind at the moment:)

Chris:

Atmel offers 32 MC, 64 MC , 128 MC CPLDs -ATF15xx Family for 5V,
3.3 V Applications.
If you need an 8-bit Micro + FPGA look no further than the FPSLIC ;
Atmel has a Tools Promo- 50% off for FPSLIC .
http://www.atmel.com/products/FPSLIC/
Hey if you go with a Xilinx or Altera FPGA, think of an Atmel
Configurator
to configure your SRAM based FPGAs

On 27 Jan 2005 23:52:13 -0800, "Yad" <yad1@att.net> wrote:

>Chris: > >Atmel offers 32 MC, 64 MC , 128 MC CPLDs -ATF15xx Family for 5V, >3.3 V Applications. >If you need an 8-bit Micro + FPGA look no further than the FPSLIC ; >Atmel has a Tools Promo- 50% off for FPSLIC . >http://www.atmel.com/products/FPSLIC/
While I love Atmel's AVR chips, their licensing costs for System Designer or the FPGA syntesis packages are way too expensive for us little guys as compared to similar offerings from Altera or Xilinx. -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference