VGA/SVGA controller

Started by Dzun December 6, 2010
Hi all,
I'm looking for some card/device to display text/graphics on my LCD - data
source is small arm uP. I found some module from Mylium (LAVA 10
www.mylium.es) - and I'm wondering if anyone had an experience with it? Is
it really 800x600? I can't display lower resolution than this on my
monitor.Can I reprogram it (it's based on FPGA)? How can I use the onboard
SDRAM? Are there any other solutions like this one?

Thanks,
Dzun

---------------------------------------
On Dec 6, 9:43=A0pm, "Dzun" <d_domanski@n_o_s_p_a_m.tlen.pl> wrote:

> I'm looking for some card/device to display text/graphics on my LCD - dat=
> source is small arm uP. I found some module from Mylium (LAVA 10www.myliu=
m.es) - and I'm wondering if anyone had an experience with it? Is In general, you're probably much MUCH better off getting an ARM-based (or something-else-based) SBC that actually has a real VGA output - most of the standard LCD controllers can be fairly easily tweaked to do analog VGA out.
I just (I mean *yesterday*) got my own FPGA implementation of a DVI
controller working.  Would that help?  It needs an external SDRAM chip,
and has an MCU interface (addr/data/rd/wr/wait) although you could
insert a different one I suppose.  I'm still trying to get it be both
fast and reliably 1024x768, but it does 800x600 at the moment.

This is the board: http://www.delorie.com/electronics/rx/os-board.html

I use a 3S50AN though, not the 3S200A.  I suppose you could put my code
on their board, but I don't know how well the DVI signals would survive
a standard 0.1" header - I took care to keep trace lengths matched and
close when I made my board.

> >I just (I mean *yesterday*) got my own FPGA implementation of a DVI >controller working. Would that help? It needs an external SDRAM chip, >and has an MCU interface (addr/data/rd/wr/wait) although you could >insert a different one I suppose. I'm still trying to get it be both >fast and reliably 1024x768, but it does 800x600 at the moment. > >This is the board: http://www.delorie.com/electronics/rx/os-board.html > >I use a 3S50AN though, not the 3S200A. I suppose you could put my code >on their board, but I don't know how well the DVI signals would survive >a standard 0.1" header - I took care to keep trace lengths matched and >close when I made my board. > > >
Well, SBCs seem to be much more expensive and I would prefer to stick to something smaller (and simpler) than some OMAP or Atom processor. I already checked their manual and it looks that they have simple DAC on their evaluation board. To DJ Delorie - although that module comes with preprogrammed SVGA Controller, it would be cool to compare it with yours. So you put display controller and memory controller to 3S50AN? --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
U&#4294967295;ytkownik "Dzun" <d_domanski@n_o_s_p_a_m.tlen.pl> napisa&#4294967295; w wiadomo&#4294967295;ci
> Hi all, > I'm looking for some card/device to display text/graphics on my LCD - data > source is small arm uP. I found some module from Mylium (LAVA 10 > www.mylium.es) - and I'm wondering if anyone had an experience with it? Is > it really 800x600? I can't display lower resolution than this on my > monitor.Can I reprogram it (it's based on FPGA)? How can I use the onboard > SDRAM? Are there any other solutions like this one? > > Thanks, > Dzun
Hi, http://www.televox.pl/index.php/ELEKTRONIKA/TeleVGA/ Text mode VGA card with serial interface. But support only 640x480 60Hz. Best regards JarekC
Yep, I need something with SVGA - and to be able to display graphics,not
only a text.
But thanks anyway:)

On Dec 7, 8:55=A0am, "Dzun" <d_domanski@n_o_s_p_a_m.tlen.pl> wrote:

> > Well, SBCs seem to be much more expensive and I would prefer to stick to > something smaller (and simpler) than some OMAP or Atom processor. I alrea=
dy OMAP, Atom, etc. is not necessary - even a simple chip like CL-EP7312 can do VGA output. I know several people have made SBCs (selling for $120 or so) based around the Sharp BlueStreak parts (now NXP).
"Dzun" <d_domanski@n_o_s_p_a_m.tlen.pl> writes:
> To DJ Delorie - although that module comes with preprogrammed SVGA > Controller, it would be cool to compare it with yours. So you put display > controller and memory controller to 3S50AN?
Yes. The 3S50AN has an MCU bus interface, write cache, SDRAM engine, CRTC, and TMDS encoder, all internal. I just wired up an SDRAM chip and DVI connector and let the FPGA do the rest. I still have a bunch of verilog work to do to make it more streamlined internally though, like keeping the current sdram page open for sequential writes. Mine only does graphics mode, too - I haven't tried hooking up the internal extra flash as a character bitmap yet for character-based modes.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference