Forums

STM32F2xx,bootloader from USB pen,is it possible?

Started by blisca November 15, 2011
Hi,
I read in the datasheet about that by means the so called  DFU is  it 
possible to bootload when the STM32F2xx act as USB device.
Anyone has hints or links about how to bootload from a pen drive using 
STM32F2XX as USB host ???

Many thanks 


On Nov 15, 5:55=A0am, "blisca" <bli...@tiscali.it> wrote:
> Hi, > I read in the datasheet about that by means the so called =A0DFU is =A0it > possible to bootload when the STM32F2xx act as USB device.
No.
> Anyone has hints or links about how to bootload from a pen drive using > STM32F2XX as USB host ???
http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/APP= LICATION_NOTE/CD00264379.pdf
linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote:
> "blisca" wrote: >> I read in the datasheet about that by means the so called &#2013266080;DFU is &#2013266080;it >> possible to bootload when the STM32F2xx act as USB device. > >No.
Never tried it, but it seems the answer is yes. (As in the F1 series.) From the STM32F205/7xx data sheet (CD00237391.pdf): 2.2.14 Boot modes At startup, boot pins are used to select one out of three boot options: * Boot from user Flash * Boot from system memory * Boot from embedded SRAM The boot loader is located in system memory. It is used to reprogram the Flash memory by using USART1 (PA9/PA10), USART3 (PC10/PC11 or PB10/PB11), CAN2 (PB5/PB13), USB OTG FS in Device mode (PA11/PA12) through DFU (device firmware upgrade). -- Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Roberto Waltman wrote:
>... it seems the answer is yes. >... > USB OTG FS in Device mode (PA11/PA12) through DFU > (device firmware upgrade).
Sorry, I should read more carefully. The DFU mode allows you to (re)program the internal flash memory, not to run code from an external device. More info here, "AN3156: USB DFU protocol used in the STM32 bootloader" http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/APPLICATION_NOTE/CD00264379.pdf -- Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
"Roberto Waltman" <usenet@rwaltman.com> ha scritto nel messaggio 
news:0bl5c79mcr1e1h34oa6687ido6e7l8rih7@4ax.com...
> Roberto Waltman wrote: >>... it seems the answer is yes. >>... >> USB OTG FS in Device mode (PA11/PA12) through DFU >> (device firmware upgrade). > > Sorry, I should read more carefully. The DFU mode allows you to > (re)program the internal flash memory, not to run code from an > external device. > > More info here, "AN3156: USB DFU protocol used in the STM32 > bootloader" > > http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/APPLICATION_NOTE/CD00264379.pdf > > -- > Roberto Waltman
Thanks to linnix and Roberto Waltman. sorry about my bad English;i didn't mean to run code from an external USB pen,just to reprogram the flash memory ,so that after further reset the STM32F205 could run from its Flash the upgraded firmware loaded by the USB pen. But,as Roberto remarks, From the STM32F205/7xx data sheet (CD00237391.pdf): 2.2.14 Boot modes .... .... .... USB OTG FS in Device mode (PA11/PA12) through DFU (device firmware upgrade). Does it finally mean that i cannot use an USB device as a pen drive in any way to reprogram the flash of STM32F205 ?? Thanks again
blisca <blisca@tiscali.it> wrote:
...
> Does it finally mean that i cannot use an USB device as a pen drive in any > way to reprogram the flash of STM32F205 ??
The built in DFU bootloader is a USB device, so you can't reprogram with another device, as your stick. However with writing a custom In-Application-Programmer(IAP), the STM could function as a USB host and read the new program from a stick and use it on the next boot. But I don't know about such a program public available. Bye -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
 Uwe Bonnes  wrote:

>However with writing a custom In-Application-Programmer(IAP), the STM could >function as a USB host and read the new program from a stick and use it on >the next boot. But I don't know about such a program public available.
There is something in ST's web vaults: DFUSE "Getting started with DfuSe USB device firmware upgrade ..." http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/USER_MANUAL/CD00155676.pdf -- Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
On 11/16/2011 3:15 AM, blisca wrote:

> USB OTG FS in Device mode (PA11/PA12) through DFU > (device firmware upgrade). > > Does it finally mean that i cannot use an USB device as a pen drive in any > way to reprogram the flash of STM32F205 ??
This may help: http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/USER_MANUAL/CD00158241.pdf http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE_RESOURCES/SW_COMPONENT/FIRMWARE/um0424.zip
Uwe Bonnes skrev 2011-11-16 12:06:
> blisca<blisca@tiscali.it> wrote: > ... >> Does it finally mean that i cannot use an USB device as a pen drive in any >> way to reprogram the flash of STM32F205 ?? > > The built in DFU bootloader is a USB device, so you can't reprogram with > another device, as your stick. > > However with writing a custom In-Application-Programmer(IAP), the STM could > function as a USB host and read the new program from a stick and use it on > the next boot. But I don't know about such a program public available. > > Bye
An application which can handle the USB Mass Storage Device standard is according to one of my sources about 20 kB. An application which can handle all the oddities in existing USB Memory Sticks is about 40 kB. If you can't get it off the shelf, it looks like a major undertaking to develop this. Probably easier to connect to an SD-Card. BR Ulf Samuelsson eMagii