How to choose a firmware partner

Started by robi...@tesco.net May 26, 2004
How to choose a firmware partner:

Ask if it's policy to enable the watchdog timer. The correct answer is
"no".

If they say "yes" then you know that their code is dodgy, and/or their
hardware is vulnerable and if the WDT is not going off occassionally,
it probably will after the next modification.

Cheers
Robin
> How to choose a firmware partner: > > Ask if it's policy to enable the watchdog timer. The correct answer is > "no". > > If they say "yes" then you know that their code is dodgy, and/or their > hardware is vulnerable and if the WDT is not going off occassionally, > it probably will after the next modification. >
Unless you absolutely, positively can't afford not to take a contract, anyone who comes up with this sort of pig-ignorant over generalisation from a limited knowledge base is someone you don't want to work for. The mere idea that this can be simplified to a yes or no question indicates the questioner's willingness to micro-manage a complex technical decision and proclaim edicts on subjects that are beyond his knowledge and understanding. No good can come from working with such an arrogant simpleton. Sorry, not for me, Alf
<robin.pain@tesco.net> wrote in message
> How to choose a firmware partner: > > Ask if it's policy to enable the watchdog timer. The correct answer is > "no".
Utter twaddle.
> If they say "yes" then you know that their code is dodgy, and/or their > hardware is vulnerable and if the WDT is not going off occassionally, > it probably will after the next modification.
Watchdogs are not there to protect against dodgy code and/or unduly "vulnerable" hardware. They're there because, ultimately, *all* hardware is vulnerable. It's just a question of degree. If you don't believe me, equip yourself with a Schaffner and try dumping a fast-rise time 2kV spike into nearby metalwork... Robin, I'm afraid your ignorance is showing. Steve http://www.sfdesign.co.uk http://www.fivetrees.com
On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:55:11 +1000, the renowned "Unbeliever"
<alfkatz@remove.the.bleedin.obvious.ieee.org> wrote:

> >> How to choose a firmware partner: >> >> Ask if it's policy to enable the watchdog timer. The correct answer is >> "no". >> >> If they say "yes" then you know that their code is dodgy, and/or their >> hardware is vulnerable and if the WDT is not going off occassionally, >> it probably will after the next modification. >> > >Unless you absolutely, positively can't afford not to take a contract, >anyone who comes up with this sort of pig-ignorant over generalisation from >a limited knowledge base is someone you don't want to work for. The mere >idea that this can be simplified to a yes or no question indicates the >questioner's willingness to micro-manage a complex technical decision and >proclaim edicts on subjects that are beyond his knowledge and understanding. >No good can come from working with such an arrogant simpleton. > >Sorry, not for me, >Alf
Before going for a drive with anyone, ask them if they have insurance or, if not, if they would sign up for it it if it was free. If they say "yes" then you know they are terrible drivers and/or their car is in dangerous condition. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:30:02 +0100, "Steve at fivetrees"
<steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com> wrote:

><robin.pain@tesco.net> wrote in message >news:bd24a397.0405260202.5241051c@posting.google.com... >> How to choose a firmware partner: >> >> Ask if it's policy to enable the watchdog timer. The correct answer is >> "no". > >Utter twaddle. > >> If they say "yes" then you know that their code is dodgy, and/or their >> hardware is vulnerable and if the WDT is not going off occassionally, >> it probably will after the next modification. > >Watchdogs are not there to protect against dodgy code and/or unduly >"vulnerable" hardware. They're there because, ultimately, *all* hardware is >vulnerable. It's just a question of degree. If you don't believe me, equip >yourself with a Schaffner and try dumping a fast-rise time 2kV spike into >nearby metalwork... > >Robin, I'm afraid your ignorance is showing.
I bet he doesn't even re-write his I/O Configuration registers... Regards, -=Dave -- Change is inevitable, progress is not.
My old business partner was in full agreement with you.

He was capable of witting code that could run for days without locking up
(which proved it was bug free).

-Hershel

robin.pain@tesco.net (robin.pain@tesco.net) wrote in

> How to choose a firmware partner: > > Ask if it's policy to enable the watchdog timer. The correct answer is > "no". > > If they say "yes" then you know that their code is dodgy, and/or their > hardware is vulnerable and if the WDT is not going off occassionally, > it probably will after the next modification. > > Cheers > Robin
I give it a 3. Not terribly original, but it is getting responses. -- Richard
Hershel Roberson wrote:
> > My old business partner was in full agreement with you. > > He was capable of witting code that could run for days without locking up > (which proved it was bug free). > > -Hershel
Are you joking? I don't see a smilely. I can run my PC for 2 or 3 weeks without lockup. Does that prove that Windows 2000 has *NO* bugs? Funny, it usually doesn't go much beyond about 30 days without locking up. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX

Yes, the TROLL-O-METER needle is flickering upscale a bit. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
> >Watchdogs are not there to protect against dodgy code and/or unduly >"vulnerable" hardware. They're there because, ultimately, *all* hardware is >vulnerable. It's just a question of degree. If you don't believe me, equip >yourself with a Schaffner and try dumping a fast-rise time 2kV spike into >nearby metalwork...
The watchdog timer is a fairly recent invention, millions of older systems run fine without them.