compact-flash/ide adapter

Started by Hul Tytus August 16, 2012
comp.arch.embedded
compact-flash/ide adapter

	A compact-flash/ide adapter (SD-CF-IDE-A) from dealextreme.com worked well
but only as a master, not as a slave, which is a distinct bother. Anyone know
of an ide adapter that works either way, either from dealextreme or another
dealer?

Hul
On 8/16/2012 3:44 AM, Hul Tytus wrote:
> comp.arch.embedded > compact-flash/ide adapter > > A compact-flash/ide adapter (SD-CF-IDE-A) from dealextreme.com worked well > but only as a master, not as a slave, which is a distinct bother. Anyone know > of an ide adapter that works either way, either from dealextreme or another > dealer? > > Hul >
This is not the fault of the adapter. The Compact flash cards do not know about master/slave, so it does not have code to run that way. hamilton

I think he's looking for a adapter that has a master/slave jumper setting. Like the third picture down here: http://www.mesanet.com/diskcardinfo.html They're about $15. We use them from time to time...
On 8/16/2012 8:53 AM, JW wrote:
> > I think he's looking for a adapter that has a master/slave jumper setting. > > Like the third picture down here: http://www.mesanet.com/diskcardinfo.html > They're about $15. We use them from time to time... >
Does the slave jumper really work ?? Can you have a master thats a hard drive or another CF adapter ?? The ones I have used in the past did not do that correctly. hamilton
Hamilton - do you know where the compact-flash cards are deficient? I'm
guessing they could simply ignore the drive bit in the drive/head register
or be unaware of the SPSYNC/CSEL line that, if not used for
spindle syncronization, can provide an inter drive communication about
which is slave & which is master.
  Just guessing though; if you have a more clear understanding, it
would be appreciated.

Hul

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 09:06:09 -0600 hamilton <hamilton@nothere.com> wrote
in Message id: <k0j296$pnc$1@dont-email.me>:

>On 8/16/2012 8:53 AM, JW wrote: >> >> I think he's looking for a adapter that has a master/slave jumper setting. >> >> Like the third picture down here: http://www.mesanet.com/diskcardinfo.html >> They're about $15. We use them from time to time... >> > >Does the slave jumper really work ?? > >Can you have a master thats a hard drive or another CF adapter ?? > >The ones I have used in the past did not do that correctly.
Yes, but one important thing - The CF must be marked as a "Fixed disk" type, and support the ATA standard. A lot of the CF out there is for use in cameras, and will not master/slave properly. We use the Transcend industrial CF media.
On 8/17/2012 7:13 AM, dbr@kbrx.com wrote:
> Hamilton - do you know where the compact-flash cards are deficient? I'm > guessing they could simply ignore the drive bit in the drive/head register > or be unaware of the SPSYNC/CSEL line that, if not used for > spindle syncronization, can provide an inter drive communication about > which is slave & which is master. > Just guessing though; if you have a more clear understanding, it > would be appreciated. > > Hul
I do not know the specific details. I have tried this as a master and as a slave with hard drives and it did not work. By them selves it worked in the master slot only. hamilton