Bootloader for flash howto???

Started by GreateWhite.DK May 10, 2004
Hi people

Well here I am. I have never tried work with bootloaders before so I thought
that news groups might would be a good place to start as all the old school
experts hang around here :o)

One of my problems are that I need to fit alot of SW down in to a 1MB flash.
So i'm looking for the possiblity of compressing the binary file and then
extracting this into the RAM(2MB). How can this be done???( in detail if
possible)

I am working with the cyclone(NIOS) FPGA from Altera.

Anyone who know any good web based forums for FPGA developers???

Best Regards
GreateWhite.DK

comp.arch.fpga Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
"GreateWhite.DK" <mse@ect.dk> wrote in message
> Hi people > > Well here I am. I have never tried work with bootloaders before so I
thought
> that news groups might would be a good place to start as all the old
school
> experts hang around here :o) > > One of my problems are that I need to fit alot of SW down in to a 1MB
flash.
> So i'm looking for the possiblity of compressing the binary file and then > extracting this into the RAM(2MB). How can this be done???( in detail if > possible) >
We use LZRW1 for compression which you can easily find on Google. We store the various revisions compressed on flash and extract to ram on boot up. If it fails then it will automatically fall back and boot from the previous version which you need to consider if your units are remote controlled hundreds of miles away. Peter --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.659 / Virus Database: 423 - Release Date: 15/04/04
easy stuff.

"moocowmoo" <meltyb@hotmail.com> &#1076;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;&#994;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;&#4294967295;
:c7q758$f68$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> > "GreateWhite.DK" <mse@ect.dk> wrote in message > news:409f4668$0$433$edfadb0f@dread14.news.tele.dk... > > Hi people > > > > Well here I am. I have never tried work with bootloaders before so I > thought > > that news groups might would be a good place to start as all the old > school > > experts hang around here :o) > > > > One of my problems are that I need to fit alot of SW down in to a 1MB > flash. > > So i'm looking for the possiblity of compressing the binary file and
then
> > extracting this into the RAM(2MB). How can this be done???( in detail if > > possible) > > > We use LZRW1 for compression which you can easily find on Google. We store > the various revisions compressed on flash and extract to ram on boot up.
If
> it fails then it will automatically fall back and boot from the previous > version which you need to consider if your units are remote controlled > hundreds of miles away. > > Peter > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.659 / Virus Database: 423 - Release Date: 15/04/04 > >
> > "GreateWhite.DK" <mse@ect.dk> wrote in message > > news:409f4668$0$433$edfadb0f@dread14.news.tele.dk... > > > One of my problems are that I need to fit alot of SW down in to a 1MB > flash. > > > So i'm looking for the possiblity of compressing the binary file and > then > > > extracting this into the RAM(2MB). How can this be done???( in detail if > > > possible) > > >
There are many tools to do this. For example, deflate, lzma, etc. If you use vxWorks, it provides a default compress tool: deflate. --- MSN: karl_lu25@hotmail.com Embedded System Lover

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference