uC favorites?

Started by Bob Stephens April 27, 2004
I am currently using a Silicon Labs (Cygnal) 8051 derivative -C8051F060 -
in an prototype embedded design. I am looking for a replacement device for
future revisions which would have most or all of the following:

8 or 16 bit architecture
4 or more 8 bit +/- 25 mA ports
2  16 bit 1 Msps A/D
2 or more 10 bit 200 Ksps A/D
2 12 bit DAC
2 USART
I2C
SPI
4 or more counter/timers
Low power modes w/wakeup via USART interrupt
Good C/Assembler development tools and debugger
JTAG programming interface
Readily available silicon through distributors in prototype and production
quantities
Datasheets which approximate the actual performance of the device

Anyone have any particular favorites they've had good luck with?

TIA

Bob

--
"Just machines that make big decisions
 programmed by fellas with compassion and vision."
Bob Stephens wrote:

> I am currently using a Silicon Labs (Cygnal) 8051 derivative -C8051F060 - > in an prototype embedded design. I am looking for a replacement device for > future revisions which would have most or all of the following: > > 8 or 16 bit architecture > 4 or more 8 bit +/- 25 mA ports > 2 16 bit 1 Msps A/D > 2 or more 10 bit 200 Ksps A/D > 2 12 bit DAC > 2 USART > I2C > SPI > 4 or more counter/timers > Low power modes w/wakeup via USART interrupt > Good C/Assembler development tools and debugger > JTAG programming interface > Readily available silicon through distributors in prototype and production > quantities > Datasheets which approximate the actual performance of the device > > Anyone have any particular favorites they've had good luck with?
This looks like a trick question - what's the F060 missing from the list above ? 16 bit / 1MSPS ADCs in uC are not common things, but you can get some DSPs with more MSPS and fewer bits. -jg
If you can put all the analog stuff outside
(could be hard to get high speed 16 bit ADC in a micro)
then the AT91RM3400 could be good for the job.

32 bit ARM7 at 66 MHz executing from internal SRAM, loading from ext
dataflash
Multiple I/O
5 x USART
SPI
TWI (I2C compatible)
6 timers
low power

The AT91SAM7A3 will be the flash version of above with some 10 bit ADC.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

Bob Stephens wrote:

> I am currently using a Silicon Labs (Cygnal) 8051 derivative -C8051F060 - > in an prototype embedded design. I am looking for a replacement device for > future revisions which would have most or all of the following: > . . . > 2 16 bit 1 Msps A/D
Good Luck!
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:09:54 +1200, Jim Granville wrote:

> Bob Stephens wrote: > >> I am currently using a Silicon Labs (Cygnal) 8051 derivative -C8051F060 - >> in an prototype embedded design. I am looking for a replacement device for >> future revisions which would have most or all of the following: >> >> 8 or 16 bit architecture >> 4 or more 8 bit +/- 25 mA ports >> 2 16 bit 1 Msps A/D >> 2 or more 10 bit 200 Ksps A/D >> 2 12 bit DAC >> 2 USART >> I2C >> SPI >> 4 or more counter/timers >> Low power modes w/wakeup via USART interrupt >> Good C/Assembler development tools and debugger >> JTAG programming interface >> Readily available silicon through distributors in prototype and production >> quantities >> Datasheets which approximate the actual performance of the device >> >> Anyone have any particular favorites they've had good luck with? > > This looks like a trick question - what's the F060 missing from the > list above ? >
Primarily the low power consumption and accurate specs... -- "Just machines that make big decisions programmed by fellas with compassion and vision." -D. Fagen (remove yomama)
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:11:27 +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

> If you can put all the analog stuff outside > (could be hard to get high speed 16 bit ADC in a micro) > then the AT91RM3400 could be good for the job. > > 32 bit ARM7 at 66 MHz executing from internal SRAM, loading from ext > dataflash > Multiple I/O > 5 x USART > SPI > TWI (I2C compatible) > 6 timers > low power > > The AT91SAM7A3 will be the flash version of above with some 10 bit ADC.
Yes, I am considering using an outboard ADC. Unfortunately real estate is at a premium - as usual. Bob -- "Just machines that make big decisions programmed by fellas with compassion and vision." -D. Fagen (remove yomama)
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:35:51 -0600, mikem wrote:

> Bob Stephens wrote: > >> I am currently using a Silicon Labs (Cygnal) 8051 derivative -C8051F060 - >> in an prototype embedded design. I am looking for a replacement device for >> future revisions which would have most or all of the following: >> . . . >> 2 16 bit 1 Msps A/D > > Good Luck!
Actually, the Cygnal part (in *Theory*) provides all of these features and more. If only they were a wee bit more honest in their datasheets... Bob -- "Just machines that make big decisions programmed by fellas with compassion and vision." -D. Fagen (remove yomama)
> Actually, the Cygnal part (in *Theory*) provides all of these features and > more. If only they were a wee bit more honest in their datasheets... > > > Bob > -- > "Just machines that make big decisions > programmed by fellas with compassion and vision." > -D. Fagen > (remove yomama)
I'm working a lot with Cygnal devices and I'm curious what did you mean by "If only they were a wee bit more honest in their datasheets..." ? - Dejan
Bob Stephens wrote:
> > I am currently using a Silicon Labs (Cygnal) 8051 derivative -C8051F060 - > in an prototype embedded design. I am looking for a replacement device for > future revisions which would have most or all of the following: > > 8 or 16 bit architecture > 4 or more 8 bit +/- 25 mA ports > 2 16 bit 1 Msps A/D > 2 or more 10 bit 200 Ksps A/D > 2 12 bit DAC > 2 USART > I2C > SPI > 4 or more counter/timers > Low power modes w/wakeup via USART interrupt > Good C/Assembler development tools and debugger > JTAG programming interface > Readily available silicon through distributors in prototype and production > quantities > Datasheets which approximate the actual performance of the device > > Anyone have any particular favorites they've had good luck with?
Like the others have said, trying to get a 1 MSPS 16 bit ADC in an MCU is pretty much like looking for a one legged relay runner. 16 bit ADC chips in the MSPS range are difficult to make and tend to be a bit pricey by themselves, I have seen $10 to $30 each depending on INL. To put two of them in an MCU and keep the total price below $50 would be a trick. I am sure you can find all the other features in various MCUs. Check out the ADI AD7655 and similar parts. I think this TQFP48 is about as small as you will get. But realize that you won't get 1 MSPS at "low power". I'm not sure what your issues with the Cygnal part are. I am sure people here would be interested in the details. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:47:47 +0200, Dejan Durdenic wrote:

>> Actually, the Cygnal part (in *Theory*) provides all of these features and >> more. If only they were a wee bit more honest in their datasheets... >> >> >> Bob >> -- >> "Just machines that make big decisions >> programmed by fellas with compassion and vision." >> -D. Fagen >> (remove yomama) > > I'm working a lot with Cygnal devices and I'm curious what did you mean by > "If only they were a wee bit more honest in their datasheets..." ? > > - Dejan
The only Cygnal part I have used is the '060 - I can't speak to the rest. The data sheet specs as regards power consumption, and internal Vref performance are extremely misleading at best. We are using it in a battery powered device, and with the analog peripherals running it is an extreme power hog. Vdd typical with CPU active is stated as 18 mA, "Power supply Current (each ADC)is given as 4.0 mA typical. Well, I'm measuring around 85mA total for Vdd and AVdd with one converter running. Also "The independent, temperature stable 1.25 V bandgap voltage reference generator, with an output buffer amplifier which multiplies the bandgap reference by 2" comes in at about 2.4401 volts except when it's warm or cold or ... and varies from device to device. I've had to add an external precision Vref to get any kind of stability out of the converters - not a big deal if planned up front but a thumping PITA to tack on to a densely packed board after the fact. -- "Just machines that make big decisions programmed by fellas with compassion and vision." -D. Fagen (remove yomama)

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference