Fast uC with CAN

Started by Dave Williams April 26, 2004
Hi,

I am looking for a uC for my application: a CAN to RS232 interface.
Most important spec is that it must not miss any messages when
arriving at maximum possible rate (1MBps). I need to store a lookup
table in flash memory, table ~17K plus my code. The table can be
written many times (possibly thousands) over the life of the product.
I would prefer an integrated uC so that interface is as small as
possible (hopefully can build it into the cable).

I'm looking for a uC with the following qualities,

1. CAN controller
2. UART (for RS232 to at least 115200)
3. FLASH memory (min 32K, min 100,000 write cycles, prefer writable
while running code though not necessary)
4. RAM (min 1K)
5. Reasonably fast (must be able to read all incomming CAN messages at
fastest rate (1MBPS) and be able to do a binary search (max 6
iterations) to determine if message is of interest. Suspect 16/32bit
uC @30-40MHz would be adequate.
6. Cheap and low power are desirable qualities (looking to produce 1K
quantities per year).

Most uC with CAN have AtoD and other peripherials that are not
required. I have no preference for actual CPU arch, just want best
match to my requirements.

So far I have looked at:
- Hitachi SH7047 (however data sheet says only 100 write cycles -
which sounds rather small, almost unbelievable)
- Infinion C167CS (however is ROM only, no flash).

Dave.
Dave Williams said...

> I'm looking for a uC with the following qualities, > > 1. CAN controller > 2. UART (for RS232 to at least 115200) > 3. FLASH memory (min 32K, min 100,000 write cycles, prefer writable > while running code though not necessary) > 4. RAM (min 1K) > 5. Reasonably fast (must be able to read all incomming CAN messages at > fastest rate (1MBPS) and be able to do a binary search (max 6 > iterations) to determine if message is of interest. Suspect 16/32bit > uC @30-40MHz would be adequate. > 6. Cheap and low power are desirable qualities (looking to produce 1K > quantities per year).
A Motorola 5282 Coldfire will certainly do what you want. It has 512K of on-chip FLASH, 64K of RAM, a FlexCAN module, and is plenty fast enough.
> Most uC with CAN have AtoD and other peripherials that are not > required. I have no preference for actual CPU arch, just want best > match to my requirements.
If the price is right, just don't use the extra stuff. A lot of the pins on the 5282 have multiple functions assigned to them and can be used as digital ports if the alternate uses aren't required. Good luck... Casey
davidwilliams@ozemail.com.au (Dave Williams) wrote in message news:<641c557a.0404261454.3c7bb661@posting.google.com>...
> Hi, > > I am looking for a uC for my application: a CAN to RS232 interface. > Most important spec is that it must not miss any messages when > arriving at maximum possible rate (1MBps). I need to store a lookup > table in flash memory, table ~17K plus my code. The table can be > written many times (possibly thousands) over the life of the product. > I would prefer an integrated uC so that interface is as small as > possible (hopefully can build it into the cable). > > I'm looking for a uC with the following qualities, > > 1. CAN controller > 2. UART (for RS232 to at least 115200) > 3. FLASH memory (min 32K, min 100,000 write cycles, prefer writable > while running code though not necessary) > 4. RAM (min 1K) > 5. Reasonably fast (must be able to read all incomming CAN messages at > fastest rate (1MBPS) and be able to do a binary search (max 6 > iterations) to determine if message is of interest. Suspect 16/32bit > uC @30-40MHz would be adequate. > 6. Cheap and low power are desirable qualities (looking to produce 1K > quantities per year). > > Most uC with CAN have AtoD and other peripherials that are not > required. I have no preference for actual CPU arch, just want best > match to my requirements. > > So far I have looked at: > - Hitachi SH7047 (however data sheet says only 100 write cycles - > which sounds rather small, almost unbelievable) > - Infinion C167CS (however is ROM only, no flash). > > Dave.
Hi look at the Texas Instruments there are a range of uC with flash upto 128k with reasonably good speed PMM
"Dave Williams" <davidwilliams@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I am looking for a uC for my application: a CAN to RS232 interface. > Most important spec is that it must not miss any messages when > arriving at maximum possible rate (1MBps). I need to store a lookup > table in flash memory, table ~17K plus my code. The table can be > written many times (possibly thousands) over the life of the product. > I would prefer an integrated uC so that interface is as small as > possible (hopefully can build it into the cable). > > I'm looking for a uC with the following qualities, > > 1. CAN controller > 2. UART (for RS232 to at least 115200) > 3. FLASH memory (min 32K, min 100,000 write cycles, prefer writable > while running code though not necessary) > 4. RAM (min 1K) > 5. Reasonably fast (must be able to read all incomming CAN messages at > fastest rate (1MBPS) and be able to do a binary search (max 6 > iterations) to determine if message is of interest. Suspect 16/32bit > uC @30-40MHz would be adequate. > 6. Cheap and low power are desirable qualities (looking to produce 1K > quantities per year). > > Most uC with CAN have AtoD and other peripherials that are not > required. I have no preference for actual CPU arch, just want best > match to my requirements. > > So far I have looked at: > - Hitachi SH7047 (however data sheet says only 100 write cycles - > which sounds rather small, almost unbelievable) > - Infinion C167CS (however is ROM only, no flash). > > Dave.
Look at Silicon Laboratories (formerly Cygnal) C8051F04x family ... regards Dejan
In article <641c557a.0404261454.3c7bb661@posting.google.com>,
davidwilliams@ozemail.com.au says...
> Most uC with CAN have AtoD and other peripherials that are not > required. I have no preference for actual CPU arch, just want best > match to my requirements. > > So far I have looked at: > - Hitachi SH7047 (however data sheet says only 100 write cycles - > which sounds rather small, almost unbelievable) > - Infinion C167CS (however is ROM only, no flash). > > Dave. >
Check the Philips LPC2119/2129 (ARM based). There are several small ARM based micros "coming soon"from various manufacturers. Also if you've looked at the C167 take a look at the ST ST10 family (same architecture but with CAN). The Philips chip is smaller and cheaper. Robert
davidwilliams@ozemail.com.au (Dave Williams) wrote in message news:<641c557a.0404261454.3c7bb661@posting.google.com>...
> Hi, > > I am looking for a uC for my application: a CAN to RS232 interface. > Most important spec is that it must not miss any messages when > arriving at maximum possible rate (1MBps). I need to store a lookup > table in flash memory, table ~17K plus my code. The table can be > written many times (possibly thousands) over the life of the product. > I would prefer an integrated uC so that interface is as small as > possible (hopefully can build it into the cable). > > I'm looking for a uC with the following qualities, > > 1. CAN controller > 2. UART (for RS232 to at least 115200) > 3. FLASH memory (min 32K, min 100,000 write cycles, prefer writable > while running code though not necessary) > 4. RAM (min 1K) > 5. Reasonably fast (must be able to read all incomming CAN messages at > fastest rate (1MBPS) and be able to do a binary search (max 6 > iterations) to determine if message is of interest. Suspect 16/32bit > uC @30-40MHz would be adequate. > 6. Cheap and low power are desirable qualities (looking to produce 1K > quantities per year). > > Most uC with CAN have AtoD and other peripherials that are not > required. I have no preference for actual CPU arch, just want best > match to my requirements. > > So far I have looked at: > - Hitachi SH7047 (however data sheet says only 100 write cycles - > which sounds rather small, almost unbelievable) > - Infinion C167CS (however is ROM only, no flash). > > Dave.
Hi Dave, be sure to compare apples to apples. THe Infineon device you might want to look at is the C164CS-16F... This has the features you are looking for except the reprogramming cycles. Another device would be the Philips LPC2119 (128k flash / 16k RAM). You might want to go for a price comparison. Cheers, Schwob
"Dave Williams" <davidwilliams@ozemail.com.au> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi, > > I am looking for a uC for my application: a CAN to RS232 interface. > Most important spec is that it must not miss any messages when > arriving at maximum possible rate (1MBps). I need to store a lookup > table in flash memory, table ~17K plus my code. The table can be > written many times (possibly thousands) over the life of the product. > I would prefer an integrated uC so that interface is as small as > possible (hopefully can build it into the cable). > > I'm looking for a uC with the following qualities, > > 1. CAN controller > 2. UART (for RS232 to at least 115200) > 3. FLASH memory (min 32K, min 100,000 write cycles, prefer writable > while running code though not necessary) > 4. RAM (min 1K) > 5. Reasonably fast (must be able to read all incomming CAN messages at > fastest rate (1MBPS) and be able to do a binary search (max 6 > iterations) to determine if message is of interest. Suspect 16/32bit > uC @30-40MHz would be adequate. > 6. Cheap and low power are desirable qualities (looking to produce 1K > quantities per year). > > Most uC with CAN have AtoD and other peripherials that are not > required. I have no preference for actual CPU arch, just want best > match to my requirements. > > So far I have looked at: > - Hitachi SH7047 (however data sheet says only 100 write cycles - > which sounds rather small, almost unbelievable) > - Infinion C167CS (however is ROM only, no flash). > > Dave.
Don't know if the new AT90CAN128 will do the job for you from a speed point of view. Think it handles incoming CAN messages in around 20 us. (I got them to change the interface compared to the AT89C51CC01 which takes around 400us to do the same job) There are 15 message buffers allowing a FIFO function. The part officially supports 10,000 write cycles, but lab tests on other AVR parts have allowed millions of writes. You get 128 kB so you have 96 kB for your tables, and on top of that 4 kB of EEPROM with 100,000 erase cycles. If you spread your writes over the 96 kB extra, you increase your write cycles by 5 so at least 50,000 cycles for -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com This is a personal view which may or may not be share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB

Memfault Beyond the Launch