Development Environment for 8085

Started by rk April 18, 2004
Hi,

Anyone have good recommendations for a development environment for an embedded
8085 system?  Running on Windoze is preferred (because I have Windoze
computers).  A Pascal compiler is a big plus (because I'm old and speak Pascal
well for the past 25 years).  A C compiler is a small plus (because the
programmers want a C compiler; I don't want the programmers, they produce too
much bloat and too many documents).

Yes, this is a small job.  Want to keep it lean and mean.

Thanks in advance,

--
rk, Just an OldEngineer
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public

On 19 Apr 2004 01:05:18 GMT, rk <stellare@NOSPAMPLEASE.erols.com>
wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

> Hi, > > Anyone have good recommendations for a development environment for an embedded > 8085 system? Running on Windoze is preferred (because I have Windoze > computers). A Pascal compiler is a big plus (because I'm old and speak Pascal > well for the past 25 years). A C compiler is a small plus (because the > programmers want a C compiler; I don't want the programmers, they produce too > much bloat and too many documents). > > Yes, this is a small job. Want to keep it lean and mean. > > Thanks in advance,
Does anyone still make the 8085, NMOS or CMOS? I thought OKI was the last source and ISTR they gave up some years ago, but I could be wrong. It's been about 20 years since I worked with one. In any case, do a Google search for "CP/M". Quite a few sites claim to have tools available that run in MS-DOS, and so will probably run under Windows. Good luck. -- Jack Klein Home: http://JK-Technology.Com FAQs for comp.lang.c http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~ajo/docs/FAQ-acllc.html
rk wrote:
> > Anyone have good recommendations for a development environment > for an embedded 8085 system? Running on Windoze is preferred > (because I have Windoze computers). A Pascal compiler is a big > plus (because I'm old and speak Pascal well for the past 25 > years). A C compiler is a small plus (because the programmers > want a C compiler; I don't want the programmers, they produce > too much bloat and too many documents). > > Yes, this is a small job. Want to keep it lean and mean.
It doesn't do you the slightest good, since I lost it all in a disk crash years ago. There might be floppies with the appropriate content out in my garage, which might even be legible, but I have grave doubts and am not about to investigate. The PascalP system ran on 8080, 8085, z80, HP3000, and MsDos (the last was never fully completed). It met ISO 7185 standards, and was validated against the standard. It was developed for embedded machinery in the hospital environment, so the emphasis was on accuracy. It was also fast, and could create both native and p-code (similar to byte-code). Some of the remnants are available on my site: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> I still have assembly listing of the run-time. -- fix (vb.): 1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view; 2. to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences that are worse than the original problem. Usage: "Windows ME fixes many of the shortcomings of Windows 98 SE". - Hutchison

> Hi, > > Anyone have good recommendations for a development environment for an > embedded 8085 system? Running on Windoze is preferred (because I have > Windoze computers). A Pascal compiler is a big plus (because I'm old > and speak Pascal well for the past 25 years). A C compiler is a small > plus (because the programmers want a C compiler; I don't want the > programmers, they produce too much bloat and too many documents). > > Yes, this is a small job. Want to keep it lean and mean. > > Thanks in advance, >
If Softools still has their compiler/assembler, I'd highly recommend it. As I recall, they supported an inexpensive emulator for the 8085 as well, it's been quite a few years since I've worked with any of that though. -- Richard
Yaze (the open-source CP/M emulator) and COMPAS or Poly Pascal? pete -- pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
"rk" <stellare@NOSPAMPLEASE.erols.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > Anyone have good recommendations for a development environment for an
embedded
> 8085 system? Running on Windoze is preferred (because I have Windoze > computers). A Pascal compiler is a big plus (because I'm old and speak
Pascal
> well for the past 25 years). A C compiler is a small plus (because the > programmers want a C compiler; I don't want the programmers, they produce
too
> much bloat and too many documents). > > Yes, this is a small job. Want to keep it lean and mean.
First, look at the archives of COMP.OS.CPM and see what's available. There are sites that still have some (free) software available for downloading. You might find a copy of TurboPascal somewhere. Norm
Jack Klein wrote:

> On 19 Apr 2004 01:05:18 GMT, rk <stellare@NOSPAMPLEASE.erols.com> > wrote in comp.arch.embedded: > >> Hi, >> >> Anyone have good recommendations for a development environment for an >> embedded 8085 system? Running on Windoze is preferred (because I have >> Windoze computers). A Pascal compiler is a big plus (because I'm old >> and speak Pascal well for the past 25 years). A C compiler is a small >> plus (because the programmers want a C compiler; I don't want the >> programmers, they produce too much bloat and too many documents). >> >> Yes, this is a small job. Want to keep it lean and mean. >> >> Thanks in advance, > > Does anyone still make the 8085, NMOS or CMOS? I thought OKI was the > last source and ISTR they gave up some years ago, but I could be > wrong. It's been about 20 years since I worked with one.
I actually, I am planning on designing my own (day job project) from scratch.
> In any case, do a Google search for "CP/M". Quite a few sites claim > to have tools available that run in MS-DOS, and so will probably run > under Windows.
Thanks, see another post, having good luck with SofTools, except for the simulator (which I might write also; a bunch of that code would also double as a console).
> Good luck.
Thanks! -- rk, Just an OldEngineer "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." -- R. Feynman, Appendix F.
Richard wrote:

> rk <stellare@NOSPAMPLEASE.erols.com> wrote in > news:Xns94CFD6856A32Frk@199.184.165.239: > >> Hi, >> >> Anyone have good recommendations for a development environment for an >> embedded 8085 system? Running on Windoze is preferred (because I have >> Windoze computers). A Pascal compiler is a big plus (because I'm old >> and speak Pascal well for the past 25 years). A C compiler is a small >> plus (because the programmers want a C compiler; I don't want the >> programmers, they produce too much bloat and too many documents). >> >> Yes, this is a small job. Want to keep it lean and mean. >> >> Thanks in advance, >> > > If Softools still has their compiler/assembler, I'd highly recommend it. > As I recall, they supported an inexpensive emulator for the 8085 as well, > it's been quite a few years since I've worked with any of that though.
Bingo! SofTools does have the compiler/assembler/linker so that is the major part of the battle. No simulator though, which is not a showstopper. I'll either look for one further or write one. Cheers, -- rk
Gary Kato wrote:

> Yikes. There was UCSD Pascal but I have a feeling that was for Z80 and > not 8080/8085. You might be able to find Forth for the 8080/8085. Forth > is a nice compact language, though it can be dangerous. Great for small > projects. So compact that you could probably do your development on the > 8085 itself and use a serial connection to a PC as a storage device. > Intel used to have their PL/M language for the 8080/85.
I called Intel up about a year ago when I first started looking into this project seriously. From the many people that I spoke with, it appears that history there started with the Pentium II! I have programmed some FORTH, for some simple test systems, not sure how fast that would be. While I don't need the fastest implementation in the world (otherwise I would not be doing 8085), I do need it to be fairly snappy, as it is planned for use for a real-time running at around 50 Hz or so. Thanks, -- rk, Just an OldEngineer "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." -- R. Feynman, Appendix F.

Memfault Beyond the Launch